An Inventation to Pope Francis

John Boehner has invited Pope Francis to speak to a joint session of Congress.

Interesting…

Washington D.C., Mar 13, 2014 / 01:40 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Speaker of the House John Boehner has extended an open invitation to Pope Francis to address a joint meeting of Congress, praising the Pope’s advocacy for the vulnerable.

“Pope Francis has inspired millions of Americans with his pastoral manner and servant leadership, challenging all people to lead lives of mercy, forgiveness, solidarity, and humble service,” Speaker Boehner said March 13.

“His tireless call for the protection of the most vulnerable among us—the ailing, the disadvantaged, the unemployed, the impoverished, the unborn—has awakened hearts on every continent.”

Speaker Boehner said such an address from the Pope would “honor our nation in keeping with the best traditions of our democratic institutions” and would be an opportunity for the American people and the world to “hear his message in full.”

Boehner, an Ohio Republican who is Catholic, said the Pope’s pastoral message “challenges people of all faiths and political parties.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat who is Catholic, joined the invitation.

“Whether inspired by St. Francis of Assisi, who cared for all of God’s creation, or by St. Joseph, protector of the church, Pope Francis has lived his values and upheld his promise to be a moral force, to protect the poor and the needy, to serve as a champion of the less fortunate, and to promote love and understanding among faiths and nations,” she said in a separate statement.

The invitation came on the first anniversary of Pope Francis’ election to the papacy.

No Pope has ever addressed Congress, the U.S. House Historian’s office told USA Today.

Speaker Boehner said Pope Francis’ social teachings are rooted in “the joy of the gospel” and have prompted “careful reflection and vigorous dialogue” among people of all political and religious views, “particularly among those who champion human dignity, freedom and social justice.”

He said the Pope’s principles are “among the fundamentals of the American Idea.”

“And though our nation sometimes fails to live up to these principles, at our best we give them new life as we seek the common good,” he said.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/5uU3v7hZ2uE

Full article…

How lovely! Good for Mr Boehner :smiley: (I’m not American, so have naturally never heard of him but this is nice).

My wife and I will be praying that he does!

I’ll look forward to seeing it.

Now I can’t stop thinking of Pope Francis filibustering. :smiley:

I pray he accepts the invitation.

I would prefer that he decline the invitation.

I would think that it would be most inappropriate for the Holy Father to sully himself by appearing there. Congress is not worthy to even be on the same planet as the Holy Father.

I pray that he does. The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. If prostitutes, thieves and murderers are good enough company for Christ when he was on Earth then the US Congress can qualify for the Pope.

Hardly.

The prostitutes, thieves, and murderers who were good enough company for Christ repented.

The only involvement the Holy Father needs to have with Washington DC is to pronounce an anathema. As a solemn definition with infallible language.

My God, a holy man…in…Congress?

http://chromehorse.typepad.com/.a/6a01127947363b28a40133ee4ea813970b-pi

I pray should he do this the entire city doesn’t simply implode upon itself with him in it.

(After he leaves is cool with me though)

Margaret Thatcher vetoed John Paul II speaking to Parliament in '82. I read that JPII spoke to the Italian Parliament. Any other examples of popes speaking to national parliaments/congresses?

abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/03/pope-francis-invited-to-address-joint-session-of-congress/ says:

A pope has visited the United Nations four times, but one has never addressed the House and Senate during a joint session.

Boehner extended the formal invitation today in a letter to the Vatican — on the one-year anniversary of his papacy — saying the Holy Father has “awakened hearts on every continent.”.
“Pope Francis has inspired millions of Americans with his pastoral manner and servant leadership, challenging all people to lead lives of mercy, forgiveness, solidarity, and humble service,” Boehner wrote. “His tireless call for the protection of the most vulnerable among us — the ailing, the disadvantaged, the unemployed, the impoverished, the unborn — has awakened hearts on every continent.”

The*** unborn.*** Did you hear that, Congress?

This is really interesting. I hope that he accepts the invitation.

I don’t know what I hope, but fortunately, it isn’t up to me. :smiley: Whatever he decides, I believe will be the Holy Spirit’s leading. I could imagine a lot of ugly protests.

He was invited to speak at the European Parliament, but as far as I know, he has not responded to that invitation.

Pope Francis invited to address European Parliament

It would get more press coverage than any State of the Union address!!

I really see no benefit in this and it most likely would be used by both sides to further their specific agendas. Both parties of Congress are corrupt and doing all they can to obliterate the Constitution and civil liberties. Neither side is likely to listen to a God-fearing message and the masses will only misinterpret.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.