An Issue Regarding Catholics and Muslims

In a conversation with a Non-Catholic Christian friend of mine, the issue of our dear Pope John Paul’s relationship with Islam came up. I know that documents like Nostra Aetate and Lumen Gentium have established that Muslims are “included in the plan of salvation” and that we all worship the same God. I know that the subject of the Holy Father kissing the Koran might inevitably come up. What should I say regarding this? Any insight would be appreciated.

Dobbs

ITS AMBIGUOUS STATEMENTS LIKE THAT THAT GIVE THE MISCONCEPTION THAT THE CHURCH TEACHES THAT ONE CAN BE SAVED IN ANY RELIGION— but if you analYZE the statement “the plan of salvaton aslo includes Muslims.” ITS TRUE , SINCE THE PLAN OF SALVATION INCLUDES EVERYONE IN ONE SENSE—BECAUE GOD DESIRES ALL MEN TO BE SAVED----IT DOESNNOT SAY THY CNA BE SAVED A S A MUSLIM-----TH CHURCH TEACHES THAT ONE MUST FOLLOW CHRIST AND BELIEVE ALL HIS TEACHINGS AND DIE IN THE STATE OF GRACE TO BE SAVED…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.