An obligated seminary?

Okay, I have a question. I’m planning to discern, to follow my vocation from God, and attend a priesthood seminary. But I’m wondering - is it like that I HAVE to attend my local seminary? Or am I permitted to go abroad to another country? I’ve been especially thinking about Paris (and by the way, does anyone here know about a priest seminary in Paris?).

you go where your bishop or superior of the religious order send you.

Okay, thank you very much! :)

Yes. Usually (in the USA), a bishop will have a seminary or seminaries he patronizes. I suspect it is the same in your country. It/they would be your option(s), basically. In the process of being accepted by the diocese as a seminarian, you should still, of course, make your desires known and see what happens. Ask? Yes. Demand? No.

Dan

Since Scandinavia is very much a missionary region for the Catholic Church, I doubt that the Diocese of Oslo has its own major seminary. If my assumption is correct, you would most likely be sent to Rome or Germany for your education. I do not know about Paris, but I would not rule it out as a possibility. I think that Cardinal von Schoenborn spent a couple of years in Paris, even though he is a Dominican from a traditionally Catholic country (Austria).

Did a quick Google search and found a man who was ordained to the priesthood in August 2010 for the Diocese of Oslo at the Seminary of the Diocese of Westminister (Allen Hall).

Also you check out the ordinations from past years you will see a number of men from the Diocese of Oslo so it appears that this seminary is at least one of the ones Oslo uses.

[quote="ByzCath, post:6, topic:243465"]
Did a quick Google search and found a man who was ordained to the priesthood in August 2010 for the Diocese of Oslo at the Seminary of the Diocese of Westminister (Allen Hall).

Also you check out the ordinations from past years you will see a number of men from the Diocese of Oslo so it appears that this seminary is at least one of the ones Oslo uses.

[/quote]

That's interesting, considering that it was not too long ago when English seminarians had to go abroad (e.g. Basil Hume went to Fribourg) because the only seminaries in England were Anglican.

Yes, I know many have been educated in Allen Hall, but some has also been in Germany, and also one of our priests have his education from Università Pontificale Gregoriana in Rome, so I’m not sure. But last year, we got our own seminary (St. Eystein), so I’m not sure if we do have to go there or if they may send us to other seminaries. But thanks for your recommendations, Dan, I’ll go ask them when my time comes (but that’s not before at least two years).

[quote="Eirik_Sebastian, post:8, topic:243465"]
Yes, I know many have been educated in Allen Hall, but some has also been in Germany, and also one of our priests have his education from Università Pontificale Gregoriana in Rome, so I'm not sure. But last year, we got our own seminary (St. Eystein), so I'm not sure if we do have to go there or if they may send us to other seminaries.

[/quote]

I am glad the diocese is experiencing enough vocations to establish a seminary. The newsletter for Tautra Mariakloster ( Cistercian nuns on a small island in the Trondheim fjord) mentioned, last year, that sixteen seminarians attended the priestly ordination of someone who had studied at Allen Hall. If that many seminarians were able to attend , Norway must be doing very well. :)

As for studying in Paris, I suppose the diocese will wonder how that will help them? What would you be able to bring back that they otherwise would lack?

Yes, Norway has overwelmingly many vocations - almost too many! I'm afraid the Church here will die out because of too many vocations :p hehe no, but really, it's great. I've heard most other countries in Europe have too less vocations at the moment, especially the priesthood vocations, so it's good that we have as many as we actually do have.

But about Paris, I don't think it will bring them anything more than if I attended the seminary in Oslo, except some better French knowledges, perhaps. But to flip the question; what would I not be able to bring back to them if I studied somewhere else? I just can't see the problem. But of course I'll follow the orders I get, I've just always wanted to study in France, and in Paris particularly.

I understand why you want to go to Paris. I love Italy and France and have never been either! Maybe if your bishop lets you seek further education after seminary (e.g. a doctorate in canon law, philosophy, or sacred theology), you can go abroad.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.