An oldie....(2)

Can someone please answer this piece of scripture concerning purgatory…any ideas or thoughts? It’s apart of another thread, but no one answered and I’m curious to know since I do not have an explanation. Thanks for reading.

I’ve only got time for Zech right now.

“…In the whole land,” declares the LORD,
"two-thirds will be struck down and perish;
yet one-third will be left in it.

9 This third I will bring into the fire;…"

My interpretation of this scripture is that it’s talking about Israel. The Lord says that he will strike doen 2/3 of the people and 1/3 will be left. Then he will take them into the “fire” for purification. It’s my understanding that these 1/3 will be alive and left on the land. Does that mean they will go to purgatory without dying?

I will address 1 Cor and the previous post tomorrow after school.

Frankly, I’ve never heard of this verse being used to support purgatory.

Verses I have heard used are:

Rev. 21:27 “but **nothing unclean **will enter it (heaven)”

Heb. 12:23 “and the assembly of the firstborn enrolled in heaven, and God the judge of all, and the spirits of the just made perfect.”

2 Mac. 12:43-46 shows sacrifice for the dead. Sacrifices for the dead in Hell would be useless, and sacrifices for the dead in Heaven would be unnecessary.

[quote=beachieca]Can someone please answer this piece of scripture concerning purgatory…any ideas or thoughts? It’s apart of another thread, but no one answered and I’m curious to know since I do not have an explanation. Thanks for reading.

I’ve only got time for Zech right now.

“…In the whole land,” declares the LORD,
"two-thirds will be struck down and perish;
yet one-third will be left in it.

9 This third I will bring into the fire;…"

My interpretation of this scripture is that it’s talking about Israel. The Lord says that he will strike doen 2/3 of the people and 1/3 will be left. Then he will take them into the “fire” for purification. It’s my understanding that these 1/3 will be alive and left on the land. Does that mean they will go to purgatory without dying?

I will address 1 Cor and the previous post tomorrow after school.
[/quote]

Which book/chapter/verse is your quote from?

Zech 13:8-9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.