An Open Letter

This was an eye opener!! i never knew this!!!

While rank and file Jehovah’s Witnesses were executed by Hitler, Watchtower leaders supported Hitler and the Nazi regime.
AN OPEN LETTER to:
Milton G. Henschel, President
Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society
25 Columbia Heights
Brooklyn, New York
U.S.A. 11201
By profession M. James Penton
University of Lethbridge

Dear Mr. Henschel:

Yesterday I obtained a copy of the August 22 Awake! magazine with its articles on “The Holocaust: Who Spoke Out?”. On reading the articles in that issue of Awake!, I was thoroughly shocked and disgusted…

bible.ca/jw-penton-letter.htm

Who would of guessed the JW’s twisting history and fact around to suit their own cult??!!:rolleyes:

There are likely alot more things that will come to light as time passes by. This surprised me to say the least!

June 25, 1933, Jehovah’s Witnesses organized a convention in Berlin, Germany. Some 7,000 persons assembled and publicly presented their intentions. A formal letter to Hitler called the “Declaration of Facts” was unanimously accepted by all Jehovah Witnesses at the convention. The letter stated that they were politically neutral, but it also referred to points on which the JW’s and Nazi Party were in agreement on.

Regarding Jews, the Declaration stated: “It has been the commercial Jews of the British-American empire that have built up and carried on Big Business as a means of exploiting and oppressing the peoples of many nations. This fact particularly applies to the cities of London and New York, the stronghold of Big Business.”

In a separate context the Declaration, stated: “Instead of being against the principles advocated by the government of Germany, we stand squarely for such principles and point out that Jehovah God through Christ Jesus will bring about the full realization of these principles and will give to the people peace and prosperity and the greatest desire of every honest heart.”

I’m not sure how much JW’s have actually tried to hide this issue. All the above was excerpted from a Wikipedia article.

iam not sure what else they hide, but i’d like to know!

“Instead of being against the principles advocated by the government of Germany, we stand squarely for such principles and point out that Jehovah God through Christ Jesus will bring about the full realization of these principles and will give to the people peace and prosperity and the greatest desire of every honest heart.”

I wonder how many present jws know about this.
Probably none of the rank and file.
Is it known whether M. James Penton received any answer?

So as the Nazis got to power, and before it was clear what the nature of their regime would be like, Jehovah’s Witnesses issued a statement saying that they were politically neutral but could co-operate to some extent with the new regime. In particular they agreed with many of the Nazis criticisms of Jewish big business.

Only with hindsight can we see how JWs were being taken for a ride. Te Nazis were very clever and very manipulative. JWs deserve only minor criticism for being taken in, as plenty of other people were. Of course if the theology is that the Watchtower Organisation is some sort of privileged divine organisation that can never make any mistakes, then it is reasonable to comment.

As the sticky threads on the this forum state, bringing up embarassing incidents from the past as a stick with which to beat a religion rarely serves to illuminate.

It does illuminate. Why? because they always claimed to be neutral, and they push that fact even to this day, and documents like this show how they covered it up and lied about their so called neutrality. They go after other beliefs with passion and great zeal, and yet they hide real facts about their own history, and when this kind of thing is exposed, it can help lead the sheep away from the wolves, to the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ.

Take a look at the “Governing Body” List over the years.

Most of the big hitters were Germans, not that that means much.
I am not saying it has a connection, if it did I would be indicting Germans, and Our Pope. I am just saying you should check into the history of the Governing Body to see what you can find out about the members (especially during its formation up till the last say - 15 years or so.
But it is something to investigate if you want to.

I am not sure if one can get much information about their pasts outside of the organization, but thats what people should ask.
Our Pope’s life is an open book.
How much did you ever know as a witness about the big hitters in your faith?

Hey Damascus,

not much. they’d never bother to tell us the truth, why would they?
if they did, then all the people would leave, as most of them did in 75!

THere is a list of them I had and I will try and dig it up for you.

Its very very wacky. I have not kept up with the list as the person in my family that I save all this falsetower info for does not listen anyway.

On some things, yes- but these things make no difference to them. They have no concept of asking questions or what authourity they follow.
The concept of even asking who is in charge is foriegn to them.
THey think a magazine is in charge.

JW’s make mormons look good. They are the most self-righteous, selfish, and ignorant idiots that walked on the planet. They are worse than duke fans for crying out loud !!!

Thanks a lot. You just indicted the OP’s past, my family members and who knows how many other innocent mislead people.

ITs the ORGANIZATION not the people that are wrong!

Please be more charitable.

charity boys and girls… charity… dont want the mods to shut down a good post.

Here is one quick google for you.

freeminds.org/bethel/gov_body.htm

Does not seem to be as accurate or complete as my list - I will keep looking

thanks Damascus! :thumbsup: okay, i wont ask about your biography… hee hee hee:) iam sooo not asking…:slight_smile: okay, your biography please :slight_smile: kidding

Someone close to me is trapped there. Not much to tell.

i will pray for them.

Thread closed pending Mod review.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.