An ugly bias is back: blaming Jews for financial woes

Bad things can and do happen to good people. Still, if hard work and success have no correlation at all, then what would be the point of putting in the effort?
This is just common sense more than anything else.

As the first generation to know some degree of financial well-being, a number of us in my family also curiously find ourselves afflicted with the odd tendency to give more than is asked of us in the employment arena. Where did we pick it up? From those who raised us, most of whom today have very little in terms of property or money.

Hard work in previous generations was a value in and of itself, regardless of the outcome. Society as a whole is richer because of it.
There are of course more things than hard work that account for success. Connections, as were already mentioned in the paragraph you quoted, are one of those. Working smart is another, as is opportunity.

Enough already with the poor people are lazy and well-off people work hard analogies. The hardest working people I know are poor, Catholic and seemingly burdened with the need to give selflessly regardless.

Goals and expectations are central to success to. There is no shame in being poor and generous, but there is no shame in being rich and generous either.

It seemed to me that Eggnotz was making some fair commentary about people of a differetn religion. There are things we can learn from the Jewish success story. Rather than resenting their success as is happening in the OP article, we can learn to emulate it, as would be a rational response to Eggnotz’s piece.

Somehow I think that such a response is more positive than a ‘blame the victim’ position. Certainly failure is always a possiblity, no matter how hard you work, how smart you work, or how connected you are, or how high your goals and expectations may be.

Nevertheless, these are some of teh building blocks to success. While there are no guarantees, no matter how staid and stolid Jews are for following that kind of path, it is just common sense to understand that this is the path to success. Overall, for a people who follow this path, ultimately there will be good things as a result.

That is not what I said. I was merely pointing out that hard work, high expectations and social networking tend to lead to success. Conversely, excuse-making and underachieving tend to make one less successful. No where did I suggest that everyone who is poor is lazy or that everyone who is successful is hard working. This just isn’t true.

It sounds to me like your family is wealthy in the things that matter most in life. You are very fortunate that you were taught about what matters most and were surrounded by people who lived out those values in front of you to make you the person you are today. You were given a great gift.

Remember that hard work, high expectations for one’s kids and social networking will benefit everyone whether they live in The Hamptons or in public housing. They do not guarantee financial success as the world defines it but they will give a family the greatest chance to do well whatever their circumstances.

Non sequitor

It doesn’t follow.

Hey hey, I should learn a little Latin before replying, rather than after.:blush:
Nedless, to say, I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.