An unexpected defender of the faith

I was in a yahoo religion chat site the other day argueing errr I mean talking with some protestants and atheist. When a Fundie evangilist Got into argument with a atheist. of all things over the miracle of fatima. And how the Fundie believed it was all a hoax or mass hysteria. When the atheist replied.
" I don’t get you people. you have no trouble believeing the word of 12 men who lived 2,000 yrs ago. but when 30,000 people see a miracle a little over a 100 yrs ago. You think its a fraud." Now the unusal thing about the exchange is that the “defender” was not only a atheist he was a homosexual who is a ex-catholic. And this is not the first time he has stood up for the Catholic faith.
No point to this posts really but to say that you do find the most least expected defenders in the most unexpected places

[quote=misterX]I was in a yahoo religion chat site the other day argueing errr I mean talking with some protestants and atheist. When a Fundie evangilist Got into argument with a atheist. of all things over the miracle of fatima. And how the Fundie believed it was all a hoax or mass hysteria. When the atheist replied.
" I don’t get you people. you have no trouble believeing the word of 12 men who lived 2,000 yrs ago. but when 30,000 people see a miracle a little over a 100 yrs ago. You think its a fraud." Now the unusal thing about the exchange is that the “defender” was not only a atheist he was a homosexual who is a ex-catholic. And this is not the first time he has stood up for the Catholic faith.
No point to this posts really but to say that you do find the most least expected defenders in the most unexpected places
[/quote]

Very Interesting. :hmmm: Conversion sign goes up behind me as I begin to smile

that guys got a good point. :yup:

I think the atheist may be secretly wanting to be reconverted, but can’t reconcile his same sex attractions to the faith. At least he’s not one of those unfortunate subversives trying to manipulate the Bible into advocating same sex lifestyles. Let us pray for God to show him truth and love in this crisis.

It sounds like he may have been pointing out the flaw in the fundamentalist’s logic and not really siding with the Catholic. He may not believe in the miracle of Fatima, but he also doesn’t believe those 12 men either, so he’s not contradicting himself the way the fundamentalist is.

I myself know of several gays who abandoned the faith entirely because it didn’t let them live the lifestyle they wanted. It’s almost frightening to watch how some of them behave and what they stand for and know that they would rather have that than God.

I think it’s part of a greater pick and choose attitude our society has with religion, i.e. “It’s a good thing as long as it doesn’t make me do something I don’t want to do.”

the miracle of fatima was witnessed by 50k,not just 30k.they were also from all walks of life!

I have noticed something similar, in that Protestants accept certain unprovable claims while rejecting other unprovable claims, when the origin of both sets of claims is the Catholic Church. Oftentimes, Protestant objections to Catholic teaching sound exactly like atheist objections to Christianity.

It seems to me that on this score Protestantism is much less consistent than either Catholicism or atheism. Protestantism seems to be trying to have a foot in both camps, preaching a Christianity without the Church founded by Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.