Anabaptist beliefs?

Anyone on here either a practicing Anabaptist, former Anabaptist, and/or anyone who can speak with any knowledge on the subject?
My brother, who is aggressively agnostic/athestic, wants to talk religion with me. The only religious urges I’ve ever known him to have (besides scoffing at people who have them) were a brief consideration of becoming an Anabaptist. Which, considering the low regard he holds belief in God in general, would be helpful to me in shedding some light on his theological leanings.

That said, any insight? Although younger, he is far more intellectual and well read than I, and since I’ve been praying for him to experience a radical conversion of the heart, I don’t want to mess up any chance I have to let God work through me on this.

Cheers,
Cari

Are there any “anabaptists” still out there? Or do you just mean “Baptists” who descended from the anabaptists? The characteristic belief among anabaptists was the rejection of infant baptism. They rebaptized all their followers. This is still a belief among baptists and many other protestants today. Other than that, Anabaptists, much like todays Baptists, were extremely divided in their theologies.

The best way to get information would be to look up anabaptists on wikipedia. I think anabaptists are somehow related to Mennonites.:hmmm: :hmmm:

I briefly read the article on Wikipedia and I found it to be helpful, although I’m no expert on Anabaptists, so I can’t speak to its accuracy (it seems like a well written work by a knowledgable person(s), though)…:slight_smile: I recommend you read it for some background information: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptists…Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:cool:

and also the Amish

Kathy

I read the wikipedia entry after posting my thread. It cleared up some of my questions about Anabaptists, but made more questions about what my darn brother was talking about. sigh Thank you for all your posts. I guess I’ll just have to wait until he asks me questions about my religious beliefs instead of trying to “study up” on his. grin

Thank you all,
Cari

There is a book called, “Baptist Successionism: A Crucial Question in Baptist History”, by James E. McGolcrick. It was written by a Baptist Minister in response to the “Trail of Blood” book that was published in 1931. It contains a chapter on the Anabaptists, a name given to a number of groups throughout Christian history.

Cari, perhaps you might consider posting your questions in a Mennonite forum.

Here are a couple which look to be similar to CAF, but with a focus on their outlook instead of having a Catholic focus.

mennodiscuss.com/

mbforum.ca/

I am not a member of either, so I can’t tell you anything other than that they look similar to this one. :o

Mennonites and Amish are the modern Anabaptists. You might enjoy this site:

bridgefolk.net/

Mennonites, Brethren in Christ, Mennonite Brethren, Amish groups, Hutterian Brotherhood (Hutterites) are all decended form the Anabaptists.

Anabaptist means “rebaptizer”…in the decades before the Reformation these Anabaptists called for the church to accept “believers baptism” only…or adult baptism. Many of them were drowned by the existing religious establishment since they wanted to be “rebaptized” so badly…this lasted well into the 17 and 18 centuries. William Penn offered sanctuary to the Mennonites in Pennsylvania, a Quaker stronghold in the New World.

Non-resistance is another earmark of Anabaptism…some of the English Baptists were influenced by them…but the “Radical Reformation” in England took form in the Religious Society of Friends.

The Moravian Brotherhood, who rallied around John Hus have some Anabaptist roots as well.

Today, these groups form the Historic Peace Churches, most of them work quite well together…even exchanging clergy assignments and “filling in” for one another without too much difficulty.

Luther and Zwingli used the Anabaptists to further their cause, then “threw them to the wolves” as the Anabaptists wanted a separation of church and state, which the Lutherans really didn’t plan on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.