Anabaptists?

Who/what are they? Can anyone tell me?

I atumbled upon an Anabaptist site and for a certain readon I am curious. Thanks.

Wikipedia says,

Anabaptists (Greek ἀνά “again, twice” + βαπτίζω “baptize,” thus “re-baptizers”[1]) are Protestant Christians of the Radical Reformation of 16th-century Europe, although some consider Anabaptism to be a distinct movement from Protestantism.[2][3] The Amish, Hutterites, Mennonites, Old Order Mennonites and Conservative Mennonites are direct descendants of the movement.

The name Anabaptist is derived from the Greek term anabaptista, or “one who baptizes over again.” This name was given them by their enemies in reference to the practice of “re-baptizing” converts who “already had been baptized” (or sprinkled) as infants.[4] Anabaptists required that baptismal candidates be able to make their own confessions of faith and so rejected baptism of infants. The early members of this movement abhorred the name “Anabaptist”, claiming that since infant baptism was unscriptural and null and void, the baptizing of believers was not a “re-baptism” but in fact the first baptism for them. Balthasar Hübmaier wrote:

[quote]I have never taught Anabaptism. … But the right baptism of Christ, which is preceded by teaching and oral confession of faith, I teach, and say that infant baptism is a robbery of the right baptism of Christ …[5]:p.204

As a result of their views on the nature of baptism and other issues, Anabaptists were heavily persecuted during the 16th century and into the 17th by both Magisterial Protestants and Roman Catholics.[6]
[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptist

They are the forerunners of current Baptists. Amish, Hutterites and Mennonites are more of direct decedents of Anabaptist. They believe in Adult only baptism and view infant baptism as invalid.

Actually the Baptists in North America are a distinct movement related tot he pietists of the 17th century.

yes that is true but Anabaptists are the forerunners, i think baptist as we know them today grew out of the in the 1800’s

The Baptists originated in the First Great Awakening, IIRC they came from a schism in the Presbyterian Church.

No, they originated out of radical Puritanism in the early seventeenth century. But they got a huge boost in America in both Awakenings–a lot of what we think of today as Baptist religion derives from the Second Great Awakening in particular.

The relationship between Baptists and Anabaptists is debated–and it’s a loaded subject in Baptist circles. Moderate/liberal Baptists tend to stress the Anabaptist roots; the powerful Reformed movement in the Southern Baptist Convention naturally stresses the Puritan roots; and the fundamentalist “Landmark Baptists” link Baptists to Anabaptists, Anabaptists to medieval dissenters, and interpret all of them as being identical to modern fundamentalist Baptists (the “Trail of Blood” theory, not held by any serious Baptist scholars).

John Smyth, one of the founders of the original Baptists in the early seventeenth century, boarded with a Mennonite in the Netherlands. That’s as close a connection as one can find. But he baptized himself because he didn’t think he knew anyone who was validly baptized, in spite of boarding with a Mennonite, so clearly he wasn’t simply getting his theology/practice from the Mennonites.

Edwin

Perhaps he didn’t feel the Mennonite didn’t “baptize correctly” since they allow pouring as well as immersion. The Mennonite Brethren only baptize thru immersion. The Mennonite Brethren tend to be more…“evangelical” and lean toward a more Calvinist theology.

In my experience, most Protestants outside the mainline denominations have a highly idealized (and usually wrong) view of their own history. But you may well be right about their origins. It has been a while since I looked at it. That they are not Anabaptists was the major thing I remember. :wink:

I became curious because, in searching for icon images, I came across an Anabaptist Rosary site.

There is a Mennonite farming community in the county next to the north. They stick to themselves and speak a form of old German.

Instantly recogniseable the women wear long homemade dresses and the men wear regular western wear. You never see a woman without a man, but the men are out and about sans wifes.

There is a coffee shop they frequent and all smoke cigarettes unusual for fundamentalists.

I meant to thank everyone for responding. Hope I can find the link again.

shows you how split up they all are. Each one of them thinking they are the correct or true version. While we use the term Baptist and anabaptist, there is such a broad range within each group that one wonders if you can really lump them together under one term.

When you do find it, please share it. i would think that Anabaptist groups would not really be in favor of praying something like a rosary since either Anabaptist groups (amish etc) or even Baptist groups do not believe in praying to saints or Mary’s role as intercessor. Sound very interesting.
peace

I did find it, but on second glance it is so virulently anti-Catholic I won’t link it here. Lots of Pope-bashing etc., but yet they have the Rosary. Odd.

It is called Young Anabaptist Radicals if you wish to search for it. I just found it because of the icon image.

I am wondering if the rosary and icon are lures since they are rather anti-Catholic. It caught your eye because of those things. Thanks for sharing and asking.

I’m looking the site right now. In the beginning he\she explains the Catholic Rosary but after he\she proposes the ‘Anabaptist rosary’:

1. Change the Crucifix to a plain cross. This points to the resurrection as well as the death.
  2. The medallion that typically has an image of Mary would be changed to the symbol of a lamb caught in thorns. It’s a symbol of persecution, specifically used to refer to the Early Anabaptists.

Changes to the Prayer

1. Replace all “Haily Marys” with “Our Father”
  2. Replace all “Our Fathers” with the “Beatitudes” (see below for text)
  3. Replace the “Hail, Holy Queen” with the “Commission”
  4. For the Apostles Creed include Willard Swartleys additions about the life and ministry of Jesus. (see below)

Instructions for praying the new Rosary

1. Make the Sign of the Cross and say the “Apostles Creed.”
  2. Say the “Beatitudes.”
  3. Say three “Our Fathers.”
  4. Say the “Glory be to the Father.”
  5. Announce the First Mystery; then say
    the “Beatitudes.”
  6. Say ten “Our Fathers,” while meditating on the Mystery.
  7. Say the “Glory be to the Father.”
  8. Announce the Second Mystery: then say the “Beatitudes.” Repeat 6 and 7 and continue with the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Mysteries in the same manner.
  9. Say the ‘Commission’ on the medal after the five decades are completed.

BEATITUDES
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falselyon my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

COMMISSION (Matt 28:19-20)
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

A set of Anabaptist Mysteries (to be used in addition with the other mysteries)
Beginning of his ministry - Luke 4:16-30
Calling the disciples – Mark 1:16-20
Sermon on the Mount – Matt 5,6,7, specifically 7:28-29
Persecution – John 15:18-27
Pentecost – Acts 1:6-11, 2:2-4

Thank you for finding this.
I am, I must say, perfectly happy with the** :thumbsup:real** rosary, & I fully intend to continue with it.
But I am not surprised much, because I have seen a great number of folks turning to the use of rosary beads or prayer ropes for prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.