Analyst: Obama Could Lose Catholic Vote Over HHS Mandate

More…

For a Catholic to vote for Obama would be unconscious.

He shouldn’t have the Catholic vote to begin with!

I wish I could believe this were the case, but I’m doubtful.

I’d have said unconscionable myself, but I suppose that at least there would definitely not be a sin in it if the Catholic were actually unconscious!

Sorry, couldn’t resist! :stuck_out_tongue:

The Republocan Party has agreat channce here to beat Obama, but I don’t think that any of those running for the nimination can inspire people to vote for them. I fear that Obama will lose a larger portion of the Catholic vote than the Republicans will gain, because many who decide not to vote for Obama because of this will say, well, I won’t vote for Obama, but I really can’t vote for ??? either.

No he shouldn’t.

I agree

Agreed, but the sad reality is that an estimated 54% of Catholics who voted in 2008 voted for Obama, despite urging at the time from many bishops.

zenit.org/article-24180?l=english

Hopefully we Catholic faithful and voters have a careful “examination of conscience” between now and November 2012. There should be no doubt as to the agenda and intentions of this Administration at this point, and the implications go far beyond simply forcing Catholic institutions to provide and pay for measures which are contrary to teaching and belief.

I’m always astonished that Obama received the vote of any Catholics, since so many of his objectives are squarely opposed to Catholic morals and Catholic teaching: --support of abortion, funding of abortion overseas, support of homosexual marriage by refusing to enforce DOMA, support of birth control and abortion education which only furthers the destruction of at risk families. Those things aren’t really just Catholic morals, they are principles that apply to the furtherance of a just society and civilization. But Catholicism has always been in the forefront of teaching them. But the policies this president has advocated both before and after election have furthered the culture of death.

Not only that, he seems entirely prepared to step aside and watch the debt bubble collapse iinto national and global disaster.

Still, just his well-known pro-abortion stance ought to have disqualified him from receiving even one Catholic vote.

What “Catholic vote”?? Catholics don’t all march in lockstep. There are a variety of positions among the laity and the clergy about the various political issues. Some have insisted that we are not “one issue voters.” If that is to be believed, then we must acknowledge that different Catholics weigh issues and emphasize them differently.

Granted this is the challenge in translating our values as Catholics into our views as voters. And let’s consider that there are many very well-paid pollsters who know how to position political platforms that force some Catholics to make choices inconsistent with their moral principles / teachings of the Church.

That said, this current debacle points to much, much more than the issue on the surface. The Administration could likely secure the vote of many, Catholics and other religious communities as well, by granting an appropriate religious exemption for the coverages in question. It refuses to do so. Why? To what end?

There appears to be much more to this that just the matter at hand, This does speak to a broader agenda with more serious implications for religious freedoms. It is this we should perhaps bear in mind and carefully consider.

Yesterday at our pancake breakfast after Mass, I was astonished at some of the talk. We live in a heavily Democrat area and instead of enjoying casual socialization over second cups of coffee, things actually got heated at a couple of the tables. I’m talking about people I’ve known for years, worship with at daily Mass and are in ministry with.

This, after our bishop’s letter was read which said we cannot, we will not, support this mandate and our pastor spent several minutes during the homily in strong agreement. I simply do not understand the disconnect between what appears to be a vital faith life and politics. How is it that these people can live parallel lives, in two different worlds one of which supports agendas antithetical to the Church?

C’mon Catholic Democrats - enlighten us - I for one, am mystified.

The only thing they’ll come up with is some nonsense that we live in a pluralistic society or that one party “doesn’t care for the poor” :rolleyes:

The second part is false, but we do live in a pluralistic society IMO.

I have never understood how it is more caring for the poor to constantly give them things as opposed to teaching them how to earn it for themselves. This idea that there should be uniform outcome in earnings and opportunity flies in the face of the fact that the good Lord did not create us all with the same intelligence etc. It is up to us individually to do the best with what we have been given to work with instead of sitting back and let the fruits of someone else’s labor do it for us. That does not help the poor in the long term, it only solves the problem temporarily.

Consider how he got the Catholic vote: he deliberately targeted Catholics, crafting many arguments to win them over while retaining the votes of those who support the legalized killing of babies in the womb. Despite Obama’s extremism (working, speaking, and voting against the IL Babies Born Alive Act which even received NARAL’s approval), he was able to convince Catholics as well-educated as Doug Kmiec to support him based on these arguments.

The problem is that the Republicans somehow miss all this. For politicians, they are so inept I sometimes wonder hkw they manage to get into office at all.*

The Republicans seem to ignore the real concerns of people, and they do not look at what the Democrats are doing. The Republicans do not explain themselves or show how their policies are better than those of the Democrats. They let the arguments of the Democrats slide right into the public consciousness, leaving their own arguments just twisted in the voters’ minds.

What all this makes me think about is the time that Gideon was asked by God to fight with a small number of men:

Judges*7:2 And the Lord said to Gedeon: The people that are with thee are many, and Madian shall not be delivered into their hands: lest Israel should glory against me, and say: I was delivered by my own strength.

I believe the only way to make a change is through prayer and fasting. Relying on our own strength will get us nowhere.

The more enlightened might also point to the only Catholic president, a Democrat, as an example of one who successfully managed to straddle the religious and secular worlds. Discuss among yourselves …

My fellow Catholic New Yorkers who also pride themselves as liberal Democrats seem to have no issue with the fact that our Catholic governor signed off on gay marriage. More significantly, that he did so without any reprimand or reprecussions for his life in the Church is viewed by many as validation of their own rationalization: that one can be two different people in two different worlds - religious and political.

When the political party which one’s family has always supported goes over to the dark side, people often fail to notice the change, or try to minimize what it means. I know I did, for decades. But I finally realized I could simply not longer support the culture of death, no matter under whose aegis, and tragically, as recent events have made clear once again, today’s Democratic party has largely embraced the culture of death whole-heartedly, none with so much fervor as this president.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

I wish we could wake up all the Democrats sitting in the pews on Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.