Anathema from Jesus

In The Book of Exodus, a footnote stated:

Chapter 32 Verse 32: The book that you have written: the list of God's intimate friends, In a similar sense St. Paul wished to be anathema from Christ for the sake of his brethren.     

Why would St. Paul wish to be anathema from Jesus for the sake of his brethren?

I am not following this at all. Especially since St Paul and Exodus don’t go together.

Can you give more info?

The verse is Romans 9:3.

For I wished myself to be an anathema from Christ, for my brethren, who are my kinsmen according to the flesh.

The interpretation from that commentary is that St. Paul would be willing to be separated from Christ if it meant the conversion of his brethren. However, the word anathema has various meanings and this is not the only possible one.

You are taking the words out of context. Paul is speaking about his Jewish brothers and sisters who do not accept Jesus.

Here is Romans 9.2-4 NLT

“2 My heart is filled with bitter sorrow and unending grief 3 for my people, my Jewish brothers and sisters. I would be willing to be forever cursed—cut off from Christ!—if that would save them. 4 They are the people of Israel, chosen to be God’s adopted children.”

From the Haydock Bible on Exodus 32:32 haydock1859.tripod.com/id410.html

Bible Text:
Ex. 31-32 And returning to the Lord, he (Moses) said: I beseech thee: this people hath sinned a heinous sin, and they have made to themselves gods of gold: either forgive them this trespass, Or if thou do not, strike me out of the book that thou hast written.

Commentary:
Ver. 32. The book of predestinate. St. Paul uses a similar expression, Romans ix. 3. Neither could he really desire or consent to be accursed, even for a time. Hence their words can be understood only as an hyperbole, to denote the excess of their love for their brethren, as if a child should say to his father, pardon my brother, or kill me. (Tirinus)

From the Haydock Bible on Exodus 32:32 haydock1859.tripod.com/id410.html

Bible Text:
Ex. 31-32 And returning to the Lord, he (Moses) said: I beseech thee: this people hath sinned a heinous sin, and they have made to themselves gods of gold: either forgive them this trespass, Or if thou do not, strike me out of the book that thou hast written.

Commentary:
Ver. 32. The book of predestinate. St. Paul uses a similar expression, Romans ix. 3. Neither could he really desire or consent to be accursed, even for a time. Hence their words can be understood only as an hyperbole, to denote the excess of their love for their brethren, as if a child should say to his father, pardon my brother, or kill me. (Tirinus)

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.