Ancient Books Uncovered in Jordan May Date to Start of Christianity

"Ancient Books Uncovered in Jordan May Date to Start of Christianity

One of the largest and best-preserved collections of ancient sealed books has been discovered in a cave in Jordan and are believed to be some of the earliest Christian documents, according to the BBC.

The 70 tiny books could date back to the first century. Carbon dating tests found that a piece of leather found with the scrolls was over 2000 years old."...

Entire article: foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/30/ancient-books-uncovered-jordan/?test=latestnews

0 Likes

This is probably a false find as it was discovered five years ago. Every year the owner tries to sell the fiind.

0 Likes

[quote="JourneyForTruth, post:2, topic:234478"]
This is probably a false find as it was discovered five years ago. Every year the owner tries to sell the fiind.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. :o But, after I read your post, I did a search and found the following article.

"Could this be the biggest find since the Dead Sea Scrolls? Seventy metal books found in cave in Jordan could change our view of Biblical history

For scholars of faith and history, it is a treasure trove too precious for price.
This ancient collection of 70 tiny books, their lead pages bound with wire, could unlock some of the secrets of the earliest days of Christianity.
Academics are divided as to their authenticity but say that if verified, they could prove as pivotal as the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947."...

Entire article: dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1371290/70-metal-books-Jordan-cave-change-view-Biblical-history.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

0 Likes

I found this article too. Now I wonder if I posted a duplicate thread because I didn't check back far enough. If so, I apologize.

"Jordan battles to regain 'priceless' Christian relics

They could be the earliest Christian writing in existence, surviving almost 2,000 years in a Jordanian cave. They could, just possibly, change our understanding of how Jesus was crucified and resurrected, and how Christianity was born.

A group of 70 or so "books", each with between five and 15 lead leaves bound by lead rings, was apparently discovered in a remote arid valley in northern Jordan somewhere between 2005 and 2007."...

Entire article: bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12888421

0 Likes

70 falsified lead plated books?

Pottery can be dated according to the magnetic realignment of the minerals during the baking process.

0 Likes

[quote="JourneyForTruth, post:2, topic:234478"]

[/quote]

Actually, from what I understand, they sat on it for five years because of an ownership dispute (which continues) between Israel and Jordan, and because they wanted to try and authenticate as much as possible before releasing the information to the public. This is very common in archeology, because there is the potential for more to be found at the site. If the discovery is announced immediately, looters often file in at night, and end up destroying what remains. Alternatively, the media attention becomes so great, that it becomes difficult to work.

0 Likes

Interesting, I’d like to hear Rome’s opinion.

0 Likes

I suspect it will be a long time before Rome gives an opinion. However, I found it interesting that archeologists in Israel are calling it a fake. Not sure if they have scientific proof for that determination. Perhaps they just don't like any corroboration of the gospels :shrug: I will be following the story as it develops.

0 Likes

I find it vexing that we are given a story about these ancient Christian texts with pretty much zero additional information about them.

0 Likes

Unbelievable .......

That in our internet age this is so scantily presented. This news should of been headline news long ago ... with pages of details.

Sounds like a large collection of items. 70 different books ... each with 10-15 pages of lead plates.

No way someone trying to forge items would produce 70 of these !!!

Why aren't the top Biblical Archeologist all over this news ?????

0 Likes

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:9, topic:234478"]
I find it vexing that we are given a story about these ancient Christian texts with pretty much zero additional information about them.

[/quote]

I agree. It is very vexing. It could be years before we even find out if they are authentic.

[quote="brb3, post:10, topic:234478"]
Sounds like a large collection of items. 70 different books ... each with 10-15 pages of lead plates.

[/quote]

As I understand it, the books are about the size of a credit card. I wonder how much written material could be in there?

No way someone trying to forge items would produce 70 of these !!!

[/quote]

Well, if the intention in faking these would have been selling them, then making 70 of them is not impossible.

Why aren't the top Biblical Archeologist all over this news ?????

[/quote]

I don't know. Perhaps they share the skepticism of the Israeli archeologists?

0 Likes

sounds like a book of mormon type fraud to me. For one thing Hebrews, nor Christians engraved metal plates back then to make boooks.

David Whitmer, in an interview in the Kansas City Journal, not very long before his death, said of the plates:

"They appeared to be of gold, about six by nine inches in size, about as thick as parchment, a great many in number, and bound together like the leaves of a book by massive rings passed through the back edges."(Gregg Thomas, The Prophet of Palmyra New York: J. B. Alden, 1890)

0 Likes

I think the find is pretty cool, and I’m excited to hear more about the books. Of course, as others here have written, I will wait until the proper authorities (i.e. the Vatican) fully investigate the find before I make any judgement on its authenticity or accuracy.

0 Likes

I have know David Elkington, whose real name is Paul Elkington, but has also been known by many others too, for many years the fact being i am a family member. To put the record straight once and for all Paul is by no means a Scholar of Ancient Religious Archaeology or a Scholar of anything else. Neither is he a Professor, a Lord, (which he has used over the years for his own gain) or have large amounts of letters after his name. He is in fact a conman to which many people would willingly state. This man has emotionly hurt elderly and ill people and sucked them dry financially

thechurchofjesuschrist.us/2011/03/some-light-on-david-elkington-or-is-it-paul/

IN THE NAME OF THE GODS
ianlawton.com/pa2.htm
amazon.co.uk/Name-Gods-Mystery-Resonance-Pre-historic/dp/0953993000
andrewcollins.com/page/conference/review023.htm
colinandrews.net/DavidElkington-ColinAndrews-SecretMeeting.html
mater-readstoomuch.blogspot.com/2011/03/bible-scam-rex-features-does-photos-for.html

tower.com/lead-codices-david-elkington-hardcover/wapi/114203913

0 Likes

guide2derby.com/news/660/Derby-expert-called-in-to-examine-the-Find-of-the-Century

It seems this David Elkington is very eager about the prospect of these books changing our understanding of the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. I am not entirely sure what he means by "change" but I am dubious as to whether he has an orthodox interpretation of these texts in mind.

0 Likes

rogueclassicism.com/2011/03/30/lead-codices-silliness/

This story is starting to really sound like a bunch of worthless garbage. Has anyone else noticed that is coming out during Lent? How often do "discoveries" and "new theories" about Jesus appear around this time, each year? I think we might be being deceived by a New Agey "expert" and some gullible "experts" that haven't had a chance to thoroughly inspect this discovery before offering pure speculation. To be frank, I think the Israeli archeological authorities right, this is a fake.

0 Likes

paleojudaica.blogspot.com/2011_03_27_archive.html#7454369078247746754

It appears that one of the books is a forgery.

0 Likes

im kind of leary of the find,if it say's may make you change your minds?Im happy with the Holy Scripture & the writings of the church fathers...only time will tell if what they found in that cave is truth or false

0 Likes

"Is this the first ever portrait of Jesus? The incredible story of 70 ancient books hidden in a cave for nearly 2,000 years

The image is eerily familiar: a bearded young man with flowing curly hair. After lying for nearly 2,000 years hidden in a cave in the Holy Land, the fine detail is difficult to determine. But in a certain light it is not difficult to interpret the marks around the figure’s brow as a crown of thorns. "...

Entire article: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372741/Hidden-cave-First-portrait-Jesus-1-70-ancient-books.html

0 Likes

The image is eerily familiar: a bearded young man with flowing curly hair. After lying for nearly 2,000 years hidden in a cave in the Holy Land, the fine detail is difficult to determine. But in a certain light it is not difficult to interpret the marks around the figure’s brow as a crown of thorns.

The extraordinary picture of one of the recently discovered hoard of up to 70 lead codices – booklets – found in a cave in the hills overlooking the Sea of Galilee is one reason Bible historians are clamouring to get their hands on the ancient artefacts.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372741/Hidden-cave-2-000-years–portrait-Jesus.html#ixzz1IRznFoGN

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.