Ancient christian sects

what happened to them?

for example the gnostics, arians, cathetars?

i read the medieval cathetars seemed to be killed off by the church, not sure how much truth there is to that though? and if so, did the church realize that perheps it was the wrong approach? i know heresy was viewed differently in older times but Jesus never instructed to kill them off. any help would be appreciated.

i was also at a protestant service this morning (our choir was performing there) and the pastor basically accused the cahotlic church of burning the gnostic writings. i don’t know if this is true or not either. but if it is, i can kind of see why, he read some of it today and it seems kind of dangerous.

Why were you at a Protestant service? You are in a Catholic choir that sings there??

no, it’s not a catholic choir. it’s a community choir. and it’s not because of the service so much, i’ve been wondering this for a while now.

I think you mean Cathars. **Cathetars **help you pee.

Which, while not necessarily cathartic, is often quite a relief.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism#Suppression

Cathars were pretty much all killed off, there was even a Crusade against them.

the Cathars were in France and were persecuted-they were relatively recent when compared to the Gnostics-doubt the RC burnt the Gnostic Gospels but did not authorize use of them-they could have ordered them burnt I guess

:d

:d

The church did wipe out the Cathars. They tried peacefully converting them for some time, but the Cathars eventually became hostile and murdered a priest. This was the last straw and the church resorted to violent means in order to eradicate the Cathars. I am not sure if this was necessary or not, but the Cathars were not some poor innocent group that was slaughtered for no reason as I have heard some people suggest in the past.

I don’t know anything about cathetars(SP?), but I believe Arianism died off then
experienced a revival (modern?), and of course there are many Gnostic revivals.
On the Gnostic revivals, they aren’t really real Gnostics, like those of old times,
but are just a silly group of heretics without much of a clue. I will say, however,
that there are real Gnostics to this day, even from old times, not sure about the
number of sects, but there are the Mandaeans. The Mandaeans though are not
even pseudo-Christians, but reject Jesus in favor of Yahya ibn Zakariyya (John,
son of Zechariah), the Baptist. They never died off, and live to this day, current-
ly moving away from Iraq/Iran(?) where they are being persecuted.

Again, I don’t know this group, but such has been done religiously
to other groups here and there in history. Sadly, we are just idiots. :blush:
[RIGHT](As humans, I mean)
[/RIGHT]

Many Gnostic texts where likely burned, I don’t know I wasn’t there, but if
there were texts during early Christianity that were deemed to be heretical,
no harm in burning the bad books (wouldn’t work today though).

It is speculated that many of the Gnostic writings we have today in Coptic
did have original Greek copies, such as supposedly the Gospel of Judas.
We don’t have many surviving Greek Gnostic manuscripts, so it would be
of no surprise if they were destroyed.

AND YOU SAY THE PASTOR WAS READING 'EM?! :eek:
[RIGHT](Not sure if many today
even have a clue of what
Gnosticism was all about)
[/RIGHT]

yeah, seems like a great reason.
Any crime that may or may not have been committed by any single person of a different faith should be punished by killing every single person of that faith.

Pax Christi!

Certainly we wouldn’t do this today, but the salvation of souls was at stake. It was believed that the spread of heresy and the loss of souls was too tragic to be permitted to continue. The Church had already tried perrsuasion, i.e. preaching, to no avail.

Sigh.

God bless.

i suppose, it just makes the church look bad. christians aren’t supposed to do things like that. i know, we are all sinner but still… seems like the catohlic church just forced so many people in to it ad one point or another. and it makes it look like people were wiped out who disagreed with you i don’t know what ot think anymore, it’s all very confusing.

i mean don’t get me wrong, i love the church but i just wish it was easier to stand up for her sometimes. we’re supposed to be the light of the world but if you asked anyone outside the church what they thought, you’d get a list of prety much all negatives.

I don’t know much about ancient Christian sects, but I expect it was done much like it is nowadays. The beds might not have been as comfortable, but I’m guessing the participants didn’t notice much.

:wink:

I wonder if the Apostles would have done this?

Cathars aside…what struck me is that you were at this protestant service…‘a community choir’, so the pastor didn’t figure many if any Catholics would be there…

…and the pastor takes a gratuitous pot shot at the Catholic Church.

Get used to it…that’s how they roll.

It never ceases to impress, how obsessed so many protestants are with the Catholic Church–how they vilify her…how they can not resist attacking her…

Their constant attacks serve to confirm that I belong to the One, True, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church that Christ Himself actually founded.

No other institution could cause such obsession from not just our separated brethren, but so many other secular institutions, and other religions.

I’d be much more concerned if were weren’t under constant siege.

FWIW.

oh i’m not surprised either. about the cahtolic bashing anyways.

my question about the cathers has nothing to do with the service though.

Heresies never really go away for all time.

Like gnosticism, arianism, pelagianism,…catharism etc etc add protestantism to the list of heresies. The Great Heresies

gnostic writings are still available to read. earlychristianwritings.com/gnostics.html

Just remember, no one can learn about the Catholic Church or how to defend her if one sits at the feet of Judas…right?

I don’t think I’d use the term “sect”; these groups were clearly heretical.

The gnostics were not merely on the fringes of Christianity; there were gnostics on the fringes of Judaism and other religions as well. As far as the gnostic Gospels were concerned, many bore the name of an Apostle in an attempt to gain legitimacy. They were not written contemporaneously with the Canonical New Testament. Gnosticism still exists on the fringes of many traditions. Any time a group claims some “secret” or “esoteric” knowledge not accessible to the masses could well have gnostic elements; any time a group wants to unnecessarily and artificially separate “flesh” from “spirit” and suggest that “flesh” is evil or dark, and “spirit” is good or light could fall into that category as well. There are elements of gnosticism within Christian Science.

After the 4th/5th centuries, Arianism was not the force that it originally was, though it never completely died out. Sir Isaac Newton, if not Arian himself, was certainly extremely sympathetic to that position. Much of enlightenment era deism would certainly have Arian elements. And the modern-day “Jehovah’s Witnesses” are Arian in their understanding of Jesus.

Hope this helps . . .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.