Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

I have been seeing this pop up in my facebook news feed. Anyone else come across this yet? It sounds pretty vague. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

From the article:

Atwill’s most intriguing discovery came to him while he was studying “Wars of the Jews” by Josephus [the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea] alongside the New Testament. “I started to notice a sequence of parallels between the two texts,” he recounts. “Although it’s been recognised by Christian scholars for centuries that the prophesies of Jesus appear to be fulfilled by what Josephus wrote about in the First Jewish-Roman war, I was seeing dozens more. What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus. This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern. The biography of Jesus is actually constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories, but especially on the biography of a Roman Caesar.”

How could this go unnoticed in the most scrutinised books of all time? “Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren’t all immediately obvious. After all, the authors did not want the average believer to see what they were doing, but they did want the alert reader to see it. An educated Roman in the ruling class would probably have recognised the literary game being played.” Atwill maintains he can demonstrate that “the Roman Caesars left us a kind of puzzle literature that was meant to be solved by future generations, and the solution to that puzzle is ‘We invented Jesus Christ, and we’re proud of it.’”

uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

I don’t get the point of the supposed “literary game” the Romans were allegedly playing. Why would they be motived to do such a thing?

Also, that the locations are the same makes sense, since that’s where the Jews were (that Jesus was preaching to and Titus was fighting). I’m not sure how the “events” are the same as Titus wasn’t preaching and healing and Jesus was leading an army. Neither was Titus condemned to die by a Roman governor, etc., etc.

Anyway, the author seems slightly biased and that he might just have an agenda…[sarcasm]

Is this the beginning of the end of Christianity? “Probably not,” grants Atwill, “but what my work has done is give permission to many of those ready to leave the religion to make a clean break. We’ve got the evidence now to show exactly where the story of Jesus came from. Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history. To this day, especially in the United States, it is used to create support for war in the Middle East.”

:rolleyes:

This kind of thing pops up about once or twice a year, although I’m amazed at how out of season it is–normally it’s just at Christmas and Easter we get this sort of nonsense. And I mean nonsense in all charity and scholarly respect. Perhaps they’re following suit with the major retailers who put out Christmas decorations before Halloween.

-ACEGC

Written by Dan Brown, to be made into a cheezy movie starring Tom Hanks.:smiley:

P.S. Even if it was on** Facebook**, it may not be 100% credible . . .:rolleyes:

Omg i told you!!!111

And so thousands of Martyrs died for a myth??? Good Grief what else will they come up with. God Bless, Memaw

Old news, really. I’d like to see how Francesco Carotta will react.

Well there you have it, you can all go home now.:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, sounds like this guy is just seeing patterns where there aren’t any. I’d be interested to here what he has to say but I don’t think it will be any more ground breaking than a guy who sees hidden messages in the daily news.

:popcorn:RERUNS

I wouldn’t use Facebook as a reliable source of information. It’s a lowest common denominator type media. :shrug:

(gotta go check my newsfeed, be right back… :cool:)

An explanation of the article, with emoticons.

Atheist with political agenda: “Hey, there’s less-than-a-handful of easily explainable coincidences between two texts from the same century in the same geographical area.” :nerd:

Atheist with political agenda: “Well, let me just do some careful ‘scholarly’ work here to see how many dots I can connect…” :juggle:

Atheist with political agenda: “Oh yeah! My shoddy illogical work based solely off of a text that millions of people have read before me WILL REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD!” :newidea:

Atheist with political agenda: “PROFIT!!” :yeah_me:

Catholics: :rotfl:

What about the thousands of Martyrs who died for other religions?

I am pretty sure they are completely wrong about the timing. Josephus was not even born when Christ was crucified. The revolts and subsequent destruction of the Temple came more than a generation after the events in the Gospels.

Christianity is unique in that its first few generations all lived illegally in an empire where they could be crucified or beheaded for their beliefs.

By contrast, the first generations of Islam ruled a rich and powerful empire. That’s just an example. One could make an argument that Muhammed was “invented” for the benefit of the first Muslims – it would be a terrible nonsensical argument – but at least its premise envisions a scenario where people have a good motive to do something. By contrast, what motive did the first Christians have, to ostracize themselves from society, give up all their wealth, publicly humiliate themselves in penance, and probably end up on a cross?

The only reasonable counter-argument I’ve ever heard for that is that the first apostles and martyrs get to be remembered as saints forevermore. But that assumes a lot. Firstly, it assumes that Christianity would survive long enough for that to even happen, which is a given if Christianity is true, but completely unknowable if it’s false (which it would be, in this hypothetical). Secondly, it assumes that even if this were the case, they actually would be remembered at all; it’s unlikely that they envisioned a Church where their names would be regularly heard at Mass, considering the first generation of Christianity was an entirely oral and epistolary tradition. They didn’t live in a time where everybody had a birth certificate, photo ID, and newspaper obituary. Thirdly, it assumes that all the first apostles and martyrs were fakers putting up with everything just so they’ll be remembered, which is hard to swallow considering that before their tortuous executions, they lived in poverty and humiliation.

Ha, ha, ha :rotfl:

Not so fast.

You know, Carl Sagan once told me: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

What has Atwill provided?

Just for starters…

Why would the Romans, then, kill Peter and Paul? I obviously have not heard his speech but this is ridiculous. Yet, people will listen without thinking.

P.s. I think I know, I think I know…why you are posting here. :slight_smile: You are seeking God.

NO!!! Say it ain’t so!!! :eek:

Another " Elders of Zion " type hoax.

Linus2nd

Well if this is so…
Explain ALL of the Eucharistic miracles. All of them.

Explain the apparitions of Mary, Mother of Christ.

Explain why there are so many martyrs in the Catholic Church…people don’t usually get martyred unless there is something really deep within them that is going on.

Explain why the Catholic Church has lasted so long. Really, if it were founded by a mere man, it might last for a little while and then fall apart, but its still going strong.

Anyways, I’m going to check the MSM for some more “reliable” information on these things. :cool::rolleyes::wink:

There was no confession ‘found’ but there are hallucinations.

Here is the book: amazon.com/Caesars-Messiah-Conspiracy-Flavian-Signature/dp/1461096405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381336285&sr=8-1&keywords=ceasar%27s+messiah

And, the promotion of the book will be October 19 which is what is on the OP.

Here is the whole spiel by the author himself - audio recording: theageoftransitions.com/index.php/component/content/article/51-feedburner/316-joseph-atwill-covert-messiah-interview-trans-resister-radio

He deduces that there is a better probability that Donald Duck is more real than Jesus.

And your point is?

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.