Ancient Egyptians use contraception?

Did the ancient Egyptians use contraception?

A new king, who knew nothing of Joseph, came to power in Egypt.
He said to his subjects, “Look how numerous and powerful
the people of the children of Israel are growing, more so than we ourselves! Come, let us deal shrewdly with them to stop their increase;
Ex 1:8-14, 22

I believe that there were certain herbs that they ate for their contraceptive capacity. I also remember reading / seeing that they used animal bladders and the skins of certain fruits similarly to how our culture uses condoms. They may also have done what Onan did and pull out.

Contraception didn’t become “a thing” when the pill was invented. Mankind has been finding ways to accomplish the non-conception or abortion of unborn children since lust has existed, and even ancient cultures found effective methods.

So yes, of course the Egyptians contracepted.

This is what I have heard as well, in particular, the use of lambskin as a condom - even today there are manufacturers who make condoms out of it as an alternative to latex.

In my (public) high school health classes we were advised that condoms made from natural materials were significantly less effective than ones made from synthetic materials.

They also used oil or onion juice to hinder or kill sperm, or various pessaries (ie, made of crocodile dung, made of honey and various other ingredients, etc.).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.