Ancient Jewish Marriage Ceremony

My wife recently attended a talk on Matthew 25, the Wise and Foolish Virgins. However, it seemed to concentrate on ancient Jewish marriage and our relationship to Christ. Personally it sounded a touch of a stretch and missed the point of the parable.

But, whatever.

Is there a good source that anyone knows of where I can see the connection between the ancient Jewish marriage ceremony and our relationship with Christ?

God bless,

Hal.

I googled ancient Jewish wedding and a lot of sites came up explaining the connection between Christ and the ancient Jewish marriage ceremony. In Revelation it mentions the marriage of the Lamb.

*6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the sound of many waters and like the sound of mighty thunderpeals, crying out,

“Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God
the Almighty reigns.
7 Let us rejoice and exult
and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready
;
8 to her it has been granted to be clothed
with fine linen, bright and pure”—

for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.

9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are true words of God.”
-Revelation 19:6-9*

I also noticed how we respond with “I do” for the Renewal of Baptismal Promises in the Catholic faith, similar to certain wedding vows.

*Baptismal promise:
V. Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?
R. I do.

Wedding vow:
Do you ___________, take this woman whose hand you now hold, to be your true and wedded wife; and do you solemnly promise before God and these witnesses to love, cherish, honor and protect her: to forsake all others for her sake; to cleave unto her, and her only, until death shall part you?

Groom – I do.*

I would say the Sacraments of Initiation are similar to the ancient Jewish marriage because Baptism is our arrangement, Confirmation is our betrothal, and First Holy Communion is our wedding. I guess this would be a good argument for the Restored Order of the Sacraments of Initiation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.