Ancient Prayer to Saint Joseph

An Ancient Prayer to Saint Joseph
A Powerful Novena

By Scott P. Richert, About.com

This novena to Saint Joseph, the foster father of Christ, is often distributed on prayer cards with the following text: “This prayer was found in the 50th year of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In 1505, it was sent from the pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it or keep it about themselves shall never die a sudden death or be drowned, nor shall poison take effect on them—neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy or be burned in any fire or be overpowered in battle. Say for nine mornings for anything you desire. It has never been known to fail, provided that the request is for one’s spiritual benefit or for those whom we are praying for.”

O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, assist me by thy powerful intercession and obtain for me all spiritual blessings through thy foster Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord, so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer thee my thanksgiving and homage.

O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee and Jesus asleep in thine arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.

St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for me.

catholicism.about.com/od/tosaintjoseph/qt/Ancient_Prayer.htm

Any truth to the alleged promises attached to this prayer?

Good St. Joseph… Patron of the Universal Church… pray for us.

I’m saying nothing against either the prayer itself, or St. Joseph.

But its supposed history is VERY suspect.

Novenas as they are practiced today were unheard of until the Counter-Reformation, when they became a staple of lay devotion. It’s strange that it never appeared in Books of Hours (which were the favorite prayer book of all laity who could read before the Reformation).

Furthermore, the very tone of the prayer bears no resemblance to prayers that have come down to us from the early centuries.

The claim that it was lost until the 16th century should tell you something.

The prayer is beautiful. The claims sound bogus.

I am always suspicious of prayers that have claims attached to them saying they “never fail,” or that something specific will or will not happen when we pray them.

Prayer is not a magic wand. It is a loving conversation with God (or with His saints, asking them to pray for us). They will be answered according to God’s will. The answer can be “yes,” “no,” or “wait.”

A result of good prayer is that we conform our will to God’s, not try to conform God’s will to ours.

Pray the prayer if you like it. Ignore the claims.

A result of good prayer is that we conform our will to God’s, not try to conform God’s will to ours.

**Exactly, Philothea.

Prayer is so we can know more about God and want what He desires, and move with Him.**

One of the most loved prayers in the Catholic tradition, “The Memorare” has the line…
"… never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession was left unaided."

It is not the exact wording you mention above… but it’s, well… similar. I guess there are prayers out there… even some “masquerading” as Catholic prayers, which do imply superstition.

But I think that the disposition of the person saying the prayer… is the probably the most important thing. We should never, ever say any prayer… or use any sacramental in a superstitious way. :nope:

I do wonder how they came up with the 50th year of our lord. I mean did someone just make this up? I’d be interested in knowing the history of this prayer. It’s a wonderful prayer.

This prayer to Saint Joseph has wording that is more beautiful and reverent.

O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, assist me by thy powerful intercession and obtain for me all spiritual blessings through thy Divine Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord, so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer thee my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee and Jesus asleep in thine arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.

St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for us.

Amen.

This is a Prayer to Saint Joseph composed by Pope St. Pius X.

*Prayer to St. Joseph the Workman
Composed by Pope St. Pius X *

O glorious St. Joseph, model of all those who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work conscientiously, putting the call of duty above my natural inclinations, to work with gratitude and joy, in a spirit of penance for the remission of my sins, considering it an honor to employ and develop by means of labor the gifts received from God, to work with order, peace, moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from weariness and difficulties, to work above all with purity of intention and detachment from self, having always death before my eyes and the account that I must render of time lost, of talents wasted, of good omitted, of vain complacency in success, so fatal to the work of God. All for Jesus, all through Mary, all after thine example, O Patriarch, St. Joseph. Such shall be my watchword in life and in death. Amen.

Night One of the Novena (March 14 2012)

Saint Joseph, please help me get through these next couple of days. Academically, I know that it will be a challenge. Due dates for tests, essays and presentations are all lined up for next week. Please help me do well and help see me through.

Also, please help me get a good mark for the political science essay I submitted last week. I need a good mark for that course.

Please hear my humble request. Please do not leave me unaided, foster father of Jesus and mine.

Thank you, o faithful Saint Joseph. .

*An Ancient Prayer to Saint Joseph

O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, assist me by thy powerful intercession and obtain for me all spiritual blessings through thy foster Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord, so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer thee my thanksgiving and homage.

O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee and Jesus asleep in thine arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.

St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for me.*

Day 2 of the Novena (March 15 2012)

Saint Joseph, please help me get through these next couple of days. Academically, I know that it will be a challenge. Due dates for tests, essays and presentations are all lined up for next week. Please help me do well and help see me through.

Also, please help me get a good mark for the political science essay I submitted last week. I need a good mark for that course.

Please hear my humble request. Please do not leave me unaided, foster father of Jesus and mine.

Mary my mother, queen of Heaven, come to my assistance.
Saint Joseph of Cupertino, patron saint of students, pray for me and help me too

Day 3 of the Novena (Night of 16 2012)

Mary my mother, queen of Heaven, come to my assistance.
*Saint Joseph of Cupertino, patron saint of students, pray for me and help me too *

O Great St. Joseph of Cupertino who while on earth did obtain from God the grace to be asked at your examination only the questions you knew, obtain for me a like favour in the examinations / assignments for which I am now preparing. In return I promise to make you known and cause you to be invoked.
Through Christ our Lord.
St. Joseph of Cupertino, Pray for us.
Amen.

*Beautiful prayer OP. Thank you so much for sharing. *:thumbsup:

Day 4 of novena (Mar 17)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.