And also with you!

Anyone noticed at some Masses, when the congregation responds “And also with you” some people put out their hands when they’re saying it as if they’re handing a package to the priest?
What’s the deal with this? I’m sure it is illicit, but even if the Church is OK with it, it just seems, well, goofy.
Please share your thoughts.

Yes, I’ve noticed it. Yes it looks goofy.

But at least they aren’t trying to latch onto my hands at that point, so it doesn’t really bother me too much.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Yes, I’ve noticed it. Yes it looks goofy.

But at least they aren’t trying to latch onto my hands at that point, so it doesn’t really bother me too much.
[/quote]

They bend their knees as well? Right?

[quote=Anima Christi]Anyone noticed at some Masses, when the congregation responds “And also with you” some people put out their hands when they’re saying it as if they’re handing a package to the priest?
What’s the deal with this? I’m sure it is illicit, but even if the Church is OK with it, it just seems, well, goofy.
[/quote]

Handing a package to the priest…this made me LOL. :rotfl: Perfect description. More and more people in my parish are doing this. I think it looks goofy too, but at least it’s less goofy that the 'we lift up our hearts to the Lord’ ‘scoop’ some people do.

[quote=Elzee]Handing a package to the priest…this made me LOL. :rotfl: Perfect description. More and more people in my parish are doing this. I think it looks goofy too, but at least it’s less goofy that the 'we lift up our hearts to the Lord’ ‘scoop’ some people do.
[/quote]

Oh no, I had the wrong "accepted gesture because it is not stated in the Girm"
I hadn’t see the "And also with you"
I’m going home to Cleveland this weekend, I’m sure I’ll see it there!

The redundancy of “and also” strikes me as fatuous. I sometimes give myself a break at that point and say “and with your spirit” which, IIRC, is what the Latin states at this point. Hoc modo aliam translationem diram declino. Nonne “Et cum spiritu tuo” melius sonat?

[quote=Anima Christi]Anyone noticed at some Masses, when the congregation responds “And also with you” some people put out their hands when they’re saying it as if they’re handing a package to the priest?
[/quote]

You know, I was so slammed on another thread for comparing a picture of people holding and lifting hands for the Our Father to the Broadway Play, A Chorus Line.

How many more of these “Proper Prayer Postures” will we have before the whole church is in constant motion?

[quote=netmilsmom]You know, I was so slammed on another thread for comparing a picture of people holding and lifting hands for the Our Father to the Broadway Play, A Chorus Line.

How many more of these “Proper Prayer Postures” will we have before the whole church is in constant motion?
[/quote]

Girm 95. In the celebration of Mass the faithful form a holy people, a people whom God has made his own, a royal priesthood, so that they may give thanks to God and offer the spotless Victim not only through the hands of the priest but also together with him, and so that they may learn to offer themselves.83They should, moreover, endeavor to make this clear by their deep religious sense and their charity toward brothers and sisters who participate with them in the same celebration.

“They should, moreover, endeavor to make this clear by their deep religious sense and their charity toward brothers and sisters who participate with them in the same celebration.”

WELL! Then it’s a really good thing that I am not participating with them!!!

And perhaps one should notice that other people here have a problem with innovative postures. The most charity we can give the poor brothers and sisters who innovate these gestures is to tell them exactly how inappropriate they look.

That is in my opinion!

Please give official liturgical documentation to support your position

[quote=Mysty101]Please give official liturgical documentation to support your position
[/quote]

Of my opinion? I really don’t think they would bother to write any liturgical documents regarding it.

I repeat

83They should, moreover, endeavor to make this clear by their deep religious sense and their charity toward brothers and sisters who participate with them in the same celebration.

And this is not my opinion, but the word of the Church. God will not judge your prayer position, but He will judge how much you loved.

I heard a great homily today regarding whom do you invite to your table. Jesus invites all–regardless of their prayer position.

We are not talking about serious sin—we are talking about how good people worship, and you can find nothing to support your position of ridicule of these people. (and even if you could, it would still be wrong to ridicule)

If people do ridiculous things, they should be ridiculed. Mercilessly.

If more ridiculous people were ridiculed more often, perhaps they’d stop being ridiculous.

Two weeks ago, on Trinity Sunday, the epistle reading ended with the words from St. Paul, “the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all!”

And don’t you just know it? Half of the congregation responded absentmindedly, “And also with you!”

Sad, isn’t it?

I feel you are being rediculous in your attitude toward your brothers & sisters in Christ, but I will not sin because of it.

God bless you, and may the Spitit enlighten you.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]If people do ridiculous things, they should be ridiculed. Mercilessly.

If more ridiculous people were ridiculed more often, perhaps they’d stop being ridiculous.
[/quote]

:rotfl:

I’m going to get slammed for your remarks!

[quote=mozier]Two weeks ago, on Trinity Sunday, the epistle reading ended with the words from St. Paul, “the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all!”

And don’t you just know it? Half of the congregation responded absentmindedly, “And also with you!”

Sad, isn’t it?
[/quote]

OH MAN!!!

[quote=Elzee]Handing a package to the priest…this made me LOL. :rotfl: Perfect description. More and more people in my parish are doing this. I think it looks goofy too, but at least it’s less goofy that the 'we lift up our hearts to the Lord’ ‘scoop’ some people do.
[/quote]

I agree, ha ha. It’s also called mimics. It’s not their fault, it’s just that some pastors are too lazy to take a week to offer for maybe one hour a day lessons to the laity on the rubrics and the Roman Missal, as well as what the the laity do or do not do in Mass.
Another favorite of mine is the hippy peace symbol with the two fingures during the sign of peace.

[quote=Mysty101]I repeat

[/quote]

And I repeat
Quote:
83They should, moreover, endeavor to make this clear by their deep religious sense and their charity toward brothers and sisters who participate with them in the same celebration.
I don’t celebrate with them, thank you Holy God.

I see, so it is OK to be uncharitable toward someone with whom you disagree?

Do you understand the term “Body of Christ”?

It is the whole Church—the entire church (including the Charismatic movement)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.