"And lead us not into temptation"

That line in the Lord’s Prayer doesn’t make sense to me. What kind of Father is God if His children have to ask Him NOT to lead them into temptation?? Why would He lead us into temptation to begin with? I will note that He does test us, but temptation has a more sinful connotation, like how Satan tempted Jesus in the desert.

I’m hoping it’s some kind of translational error or has some solid answer, because we do say the line at Mass.

Thanks for anyone who knows!

“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil” Mt. 4:1

No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it. 1Cor 10:13

God will not ALLOW any temptation that you are not strong enough to overcome. By Overcoming you will grow in faith and receive grace.

You are incorrectly using a scalpel to separate this from the rest of the prayer. The line you are referencing is meant to be taken in context with the statement “but deliver us from evil.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.