And the two shall be one

In Matthew 19 Jesus says, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one". So I searched "and the two shall become one" on catholic.con and couldn't find what I was looking for.

So, my question is since the man and woman become one, what happens when the spouse dies? Would the surviving person become a half a person? I know that sounds funny, but it as caused me to become a bit confused.

The man and woman become one in that they join their flesh through martial relations and create a new union and family. They actually, physically become one during this act, and they figuratively become one as a new family unit.

Marriage doesn't mean that the individuals are lost. We recognize the dignity and uniqueness of each person but also recognize that in the sacrament of marriage two are joined together by their love and God's love.

Does that help?

That makes sense. Its not that the individual is lost, but one in the sense of the maritial relations and then one as a family. Thanks for your help! :)

[quote="scdinkel21, post:1, topic:226493"]
So, my question is since the man and woman become one, what happens when the spouse dies? Would the surviving person become a half a person?

[/quote]

It isn't literal.

[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:226493"]
It isn't literal.

[/quote]

It's literal in the sense Belle10 already mentioned above.

Incidentally, that's also one of the Scripture verses that forms the basis for the Church's teaching against artificial birth control. "Becoming almost one, except for a thin physical (or chemical) barrier" is incompatible with "being joined to his wife" and "the two becoming one."

Part of the "exhortation before marriage," which used to be commonly recited by the priest before the exchange of vows, has this to say:
"And so you begin your married life by the voluntary and complete surrender of your individual lives,
in the interest of that deeper and wider life which you are to have in common.

Henceforth you belong entirely to each other.

You will be one in mind, one in heart, one in affections.

Whatever sacrifices you may hereafter be required to make in order to preserve this common life, always make them generously."

While two becoming one flesh through the marital act is a part of marriage, there is much more to the covenant. Marriage takes place on a physical and spiritual level. Animals have sex. The bible never refers to animals becoming one flesh. Catholic marriage reflects the relationship between Christ and the church. Marriage is the only way that we have to understand that relationship.

Marriage binds people spiritually in a similar way to the Church being bound to Christ.
Marriage is serious stuff!!! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.