And the word shall not return void?

I cannot find a reference for this passage in the bible.

What does it mean to the non- Catholic?

What does it mean to the Catholic?

My husband and I are discussing it and he is on a wild goose chase trying to find it right now.
I see the word,word and the word, void but not together.

Word meaning spoken word I assume and void meaning empty.
Dessert

The verse is Isaiah 55:11.

Isa 55:11

(DRB) So shall my word be, which shall go forth from my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall do whatsoever I please, and shall prosper in the things for which I sent it.

(ESV) so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

(KJV) So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

(NASB) So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

Many protestants see the word, word as refering to the bible.

I think the word, word means “to command” or maybe “make a promise” or make a covenant.

From Matthew Henry’s Commentary: “2. If we look down to this earth, we find God’s word there powerful and effectual, and answering all its great intentions, Isa_55:10, Isa_55:11. Observe here, (1.) The efficacy of God’s word in the kingdom of nature. He saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth; he appoints when it shall come, to what degree, and how long it shall lie there; he saith so to the small rain and the great rain of his strength, Job_37:6. And according to his order they come down from heaven, and do whatsoever he commands them upon the face of the world, whether it be for correction, or for his land, or for mercy, Isa_55:12, Isa_55:13. It returns not re infectâ - without having accomplished its end, but waters the earth, which he is therefore said to do from his chambers, Psa_104:13. And the watering of the earth is in order to its fruitfulness. Thus he makes it to bring forth and bud, for the products of the earth depend upon the dews of heaven; and thus it gives not only bread to the eater, present maintenance to the owner and his family, but seed likewise to the sower, that he may have food for another year. The husbandman must be a sower as well as an eater, else he will soon see the end of what he has. (2.) The efficacy of his word in the kingdom of providence and grace, which is as certain as the former: “So shall my word be, as powerful in the mouth of prophets as it is in the hand of providence; it shall not return unto me void, as unable to effect what it was sent for, or meeting with an insuperable opposition; no, it shall accomplish that which I please” (for it is the declaration of his will, according to the counsel of which he works all things) “and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” This assures us, [1.] That the promises of God shall all have their full accomplishment in due time, and not one iota or tittle of them shall fail, 1Ki_8:56. These promises of mercy and grace shall have as real an effect upon the souls of believers, for their sanctification and comfort, as ever the rain had upon the earth, to make it fruitful. [2.] That according to the different errands on which the word is sent it will have its different effects. If it be not a savour of life unto life, it will be a savour of death unto death; if it do not convince the conscience and soften the heart, it will sear the conscience and harden the heart; if it do not ripen for heaven, it will ripen for hell. See Isa_6:9. One way or other, it will take effect. [3.] That Christ’s coming into the world, as the dew from heaven (Hos_14:5), will not be in vain. For, if Israel be not gathered, he will be glorious in the conversion of the Gentiles; to them therefore the tenders of grace must be made when the Jews refuse them, that the wedding may be furnished with guests and the gospel not return void.”

I believe this does mean the promises of God and the fullfilling covenant of love through Jesus Christ.
I was wondering if there was some verse in the new testament but I suppose one could figure the entire NT is the fullfillment.
The NT is the New Covenant. Dessert

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.