Anders Behring Breivik, Killer in 2011 Norway Massacre, Says Prison Conditions Violate His Rights

NY Times:

Anders Behring Breivik, Killer in 2011 Norway Massacre, Says Prison Conditions Violate His Rights

OSLO — He lives in a three-room suite with windows, about 340 square feet, that includes a treadmill, a fridge, a DVD player, a Sony PlayStation and a desk with a typewriter. He has been taking distance-learning courses at his country’s main university. He has access to television, radio and newspapers. He prepares his own food, and he entered the Christmas gingerbread-house baking contest at his prison.Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian extremist who was convicted of killing 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, returned to court on Tuesday to pursue his claim that his solitary confinement — albeit in cushy circumstances — violates his human rights.

The hearing, at which Mr. Breivik gave a Nazi-style salute, has been accompanied by a new round of grief and outrage over the attacks, the deadliest violence in Norway since World War II.
Mr. Breivik, 37, was convicted of terrorism in 2012 and sentenced to 21 years in prison, though he can be held for longer if he is deemed a threat to society.
His case has strained Norway’s commitment to tolerance and compassion, which includes a penal system that strongly emphasizes rehabilitation over punishment.
Since 2013, Mr. Breivik has been held in isolation at Skien, a high-security prison in southern Norway, after being transferred from Ila prison, outside Oslo.

Since 2013, Mr. Breivik has been held in isolation at Skien, a high-security prison in southern Norway, after being transferred from Ila prison, outside Oslo.
Mr. Breivik has been complaining about his confinement since 2012 and at one point threatened to go on a hunger strike. Now he has sued the government, arguing that under the European Convention on Human Rights, long-term solitary confinement amounts to torture.
He is not allowed to leave the prison, and he could not attend his mother’s funeral in 2013. He has also asserted that he has been subjected to degrading treatment, including hundreds of strip searches and frequent searches of his cell, including at night.

I seen (on YouTube) what a Norwegian prison is like. If he didn’t kill eight people or if he was in the Pelican Bay Special Housing Unit, then people might have sympathy for him.

What is it with terrorists complaining about prison conditions?

From what Ive seen in certain documentaries, some European and foreign prisons are MUCH better than US prisons, one prison I saw in Eastern Europe, the inmates wear their own street clothes, they can have appliances in their rooms, visitors can come and go, even into their rooms. Even in Mexican prisons, on visiting day, visitors are allowed everywhere without a guard, they do search some of them before entering, but the warden even admitted, to search everyone completely would be impractical and impossible.

But it seems in the US, sometimes, visitors can only visit thru a video screen, they are never allowed in the cell area, especially without a guard, and I assume US prisons search EVERYONE before entering, or least claim to.

I can just imagine Donald Trump’s response to this. And, in this instance, I would probably agree with him. The man killed 77 people!

This is what I think:

MAKE PRISONS TOUGH AGAIN!

Solitary confinement is torture.

The solution is capital punishment.

His prison cell sounds better than my dorm room at college many years ago. We didn’t even have A/C…in Florida…

Nuts.

These lunatics of all stripes are gonna push the softhearted modern Europeans too far one of these days.

ICXC NIKA

Now **that **is tough.

Maybe this hardcase should do his time in Florida.

ICXC NIKA

The Norwegian prison system is heavily-focussed on rehabilitation of offenders, and they have a great deal of success with this. Breivik received the maximum Norwegian sentence of 21 years, but that doesn’t mean he will automatically be released after that time has been served.

I don’t think that humane treatment of prisoners means that we Europeans are soft-hearted. In the meantime, Breivik is safely incarcerated, as he should be. His complaints are simply another way of drawing attention to himself.

Please don’t tell me they care about the man’s sanity. Those monsters are making him play Playstation!! The 1995 PSX for pete’s sake! Spending hours trying to beat Battle Arena Toshinden and Bubsy 3D would drive me to brink as well.

I did not mean soft-hearted as a “burn.” I think mercy toward even societal offenders is commendable.

ICXC NIKA

The death penalty is justified in a situation like this, I think.

For a fascist like him, I’d be inclined to agree. Even the most squalid conditions would be far too good for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.