Andrew Cuomo shocks crowd, says America 'was never that great'

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/15/andrew-cuomo-shocks-crowd-says-america-was-never-that-great.html

Dems 2020 campaign slogan?

Probably won’t matter one way or another in NY.

I for one am not shocked he said that.

President Trump’s take on Govrrnor Cuomo’s comment . . . .

Trump says Cuomo ‘having a total meltdown’ after gov’s earlier remark that America ‘was never that great’

Elizabeth Zwirz

By Elizabeth Zwirz | Fox News

President Trump fired back at New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo late Wednesday, saying the Democrat was having “a total meltdown” after he declared at an earlier bill-signing that America “was never that great.”

The Democrat made the seemingly off-hand comment as part of his rebuke of President Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan during the event in New York. But the line drew gasps from the crowd.

“We’re not going to make America great again. It was never that great,” Cuomo said.

In response to the remark, Trump tweeted, “Can you believe this is the Governor of the Highest Taxed State in the U.S., Andrew Cuomo, having a total meltdown!” . . .

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/15/trump-says-cuomo-having-total-meltdown-after-govs-earlier-remark-that-america-was-never-that-great.html

America has been pretty great to my family, I have to admit.

I’m going to guess Nat Turner didn’t feel America was very great. Or Dred Scott. Or Emmett Till. I could go on.

Cuomo said it in a dumb way, and it gave a good sound bite to attack. But he’s right. Choose a point in our history and America is allowing horrible things to happen to its own people. We haven’t reached a pinnacle.

I try to remind my students that it’s wrong to not acknowledge the good about our nation. Just like it’s wrong to not acknowledge the bad. There’s been lots of good. There’s been lots of bad.

America isn’t authoritarian enough for Cuomo.

Declaration of Independence

Our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

The Federalist.

The Erie Canal … New York, the Empire State

NYC aqueduct system: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2935970/Workers-dig-deep-fix-massive-New-York-City-water-leak.html

Statue of Liberty

The Wright Brothers

June 6, 1944 … the landing on Normandy Beach

Apollo 13

Why on Earth does everyone want to come here?

To help us look like the rest of the world. :roll_eyes:

Kinda racist to not include any Whites in your list. I guess you think every White person lives in a mansion? No White person has ever suffered?

Thank you so much, both for saying this and teaching it to your students :smiley:

There seem to be so many people here in the US who deny credit to this nation for the good we have accomplished, which ends up making people feel discouraged and lacking a foundation on which to proceed in building more “greatness.”

It’s like that joke: Beatings will continue until morale improves.

The manner in which Cuomo values our country speaks volumes in his statement. “America was never that great”. How revealing that he has been afforded wealth and all its trimmings. Another example of how riches spoil a persons if they have not had the blessing of guidance, experience, and appreciation of hard work. Our President acquired wealth but his father provided moral values and strength to ensure he was a solid man. He appreciates hard work and those that work hard to contribute to family and country. Our military rank the highest in his appreciation because they put it all on the line, along with Police, Fire Fighters, Medical Rescuers and Citizen Heros! We have a GREAT country!

Cuomo specifically called out the KKK which was/is an institution of the Democrat Party!!!

You might be right, but one needs to remember that Dred Scott was a free man less than ten years after the Dred Scott decision. I’m sure that “made America great again” for him.

Nat Turner’s case could be argued all day.

I said I could go on. Maybe the Irish Catholics in the 19th century.

But your comment speaks more about you than it does the subject.

Why do progressives only view the past from the lens of today? It’s like judging an adult based on their behavior as a tween but using adult standards. Much better to view the earlier behavior in context, of how other teens act.

Though there was significant resistance by Democrats, we overcame our bad behavior of slavery. Our system enabled us to make corrections.

600,000 died in our Civil War.

I never said the change was without pain. While it didn’t have the death toll, the 60’s was emotionally quite painful as well.

Typical reaction from people who get their panties in a twist everytime someone says something they can turn into a political statement…so he probably said a dumb thing according to many…you could also get your panties in a twist by Trumps comments of “make America great again”…is he implying that it hasn’t always been great…plenty of Americans might find that insulting if they look at it from a different political stance…untwist your panties and get on with life people…sheesh

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it was a statement made by a politician at a political event.
It was a political statement.

Stop deflecting for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.