Andrew Cuomo shocks crowd, says America 'was never that great'

I find it curious that you think changing “lenses” matter on that particular topic. There were plenty of people since the founding of this country try who felt that slavery (sure, we’ll go with that example) was wrong. We’re not discussing a topic that everyone thought was benign. Neither was murdering Emmett Till or besting Freedom Riders or exploiting anyone something that was considered proper or right. Neither was anyone confused by the morality of it all.

Moreover excusing past bad behaviors because “that’s the way people thought” seems strange to me, as I assume you believe in an absolute truth. How society viewed certain actions, and excusing those actions (well, that was a different time) is the textbook definition of relativism. From an ethical standpoint at least.

I think it matters on every historical topic.

So is Trumps statement “make America great again”…I’d bet you’d be defending that against anyone who said it was implying America hasn’t always been great…as for deflecting for Cuomo…sorry to burst your bubble as well…I don’t know the man…I don’t live in NY…and I don’t vote Democrat

You didn’t respond to a single point I made,
stop trying to change the goal posts, it’s just more deflecting.

OK…so it was a political statement by a politician…is that clear enough…as for deflecting for Cuomo I made that pretty clear the first time…now perhaps you can answer whether Trumps “make America great again” is a political statement and some might find that insinuating that America hasn’t always been great

It’s a campaign slogan

I’m confident opponents don’t support it, cause they already have their own version of it, like “Change we need”.

Virtually all campaign slogans are about making changes to the status quo WHICH they are saying ISN’T GREAT. The exception being Hillary’s “I’m with her” It didn’t say much at all, expect maybe elect her because she’s female.

You replied to the opening sentence but not the thesis.

Our country has certainly had its fair share of black marks, that’s for sure. Slavery, then segregation, then abortion. We’ve never been a perfect country and have had very bad laws implemented.

Despite my hate for abortion, I still love America and I still think it’s a great country. Some may see that as paradoxical… but hey.

Speaking as a New Yorker, I’ve never liked Cuomo. I suspect he’s way more comfortable with corruption than I am (look up his disbanding of the Moreland Commission). There are far more serious reasons to dislike him than a dumb offhand comment.

I would be very happy if he had some serious opposition in his next run for re-election, but all we’ve got right now is Cynthia Nixon. I’ll probably vote for her, just to show Cuomo that at least some people in New York State are unhappy with him.

I have a visceral dislike for that man. Hate is a very strong word for me, but my feelings for that man at the very least border on it at this point.

I don’t have personal feelings about him one way or the other. I just think he’s a terrible governor.

He gave a great gem of a comment a few years back insinuating that if you were a hardline conservative (and he made sure to single out abortion and gun rights), that you weren’t welcome in New York.

You know what? Screw you man, I’ve lived here my entire life, who do you think you are saying something like that?

Hey, I agree. We might differ on gun rights, but it’s your state as much as mine. That’s democracy, that’s how it works.

The fact that he’s extremely likely to win another 4 year term is just so bad. Ever thought about moving to Pennsylvania?

No, not really, I love living in NYC, I’ve lived here for 58 years, my family is here, my kids are in school here, I have an elderly father who’s not moving anywhere and needs care, etc., etc. My job is here, and there’s not a lot of opportunity for anyone in my field outside of big cities.

Like it or not (and I mostly do like it), I’m stuck. Until retirement, anyway.

Yeah, there’s a lot of great stuff here, I shouldn’t let Cuomo ruin the state for me. Manhattan is a beautifully designed city.

https://www.google.com/search?q=manhattan+at+night&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijvrWvi_PcAhWNwFkKHdOaBRYQ_AUICigB&biw=1440&bih=748#imgrc=_

And Brooklyn is even nicer. :smiley:

First two portions a summary of above . . . .

Governor Cuomo: Andrew Cuomo shocks crowd, says America ‘was never that great’

President Trump: Trump says Cuomo ‘having a total meltdown’ after gov’s earlier remark that America ‘was never that great’

And now this . . . .

Cuomo:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo walked back his claim that the United States “was never that great” in a Friday conference call, describing the comments as “inartful” and asserting that he believes the opposite of what he said.

The embattled New York state Governor has faced mass public backlash after deriding President Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again” message. “We’re not going to make America great again,” he said during a speech in New York City. “It was never that great.”

“The expression I used the other day was inartful, so I want to be very clear,” Cuomo told press on Friday’s call. “Of course America is great, and of course America has always been great.”

Cuomo seemed to become flustered when CBS News political reporter Grace Segers asked him about Trump daring him to make a run at the oval office in 2020. . . .

Cuomo (on Wednesday) . . . .

(America) ‘was never that great’

Cuomo (on Friday [today]) . . . .

Of course America is great, and of course America has always been great.”

No telling what we will hear from Cuomo tomorrow.

Governor Cuomo in New York State takes after Governor Brown in California.

Both governors follow after their fathers who were governors in their respective states.

But they both seem to lack the common sense that their fathers possessed.

I think you’re giving Mario too much credit. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.