Angel and Logos

It has been said that Philo a Jewish philosopher used the term “Logos” as a term used to describe God’s angel such as the angel mentioned in Exodus 23:20-21 for example "See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. Be attentive to him and heed his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority resides in him”.

It has also been said St John burrowed Philo’s concept of Logos and applied to the beginning of his Gospel John 1:1. Jesus is not an angel, so what’s the relationship between an angel and Jesus for John to call him the Logos? Perhaps St John burrowed the term “Logos” and took it one step further with special emphasis on the Word of God rather than Angel of God?

Philo of Alexandria viewed the logos in platonic terms as a created reality, similar to Plato’s demiurge. He doesn’t use it to describe an angel(ἄγγελος /ángelos) but the principle of /rational behind all created reality. Johns use of Logos does seem to have a basis in greek philosophy, I wouldn’t necessarily say philo even if he was influential for the fathers, but St John’s use of it goes further than any greek philosopher ever would. This includes philo.

Agreed.

Not agreed :shrug:

In particular, the Angel of the Lord in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) was identified with the Logos by Philo

Source

Again I refer you to Exodus 23:20-21 as an example of the angel of the Lord being called the logos see wiki

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.