Angela Merkel, German Chancellor, to seek fourth term

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38042937

**Angela Merkel, German Chancellor, to seek fourth term

Germany’s centre-right Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced that she will run for a fourth term in office.

Speaking at a meeting of her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) in Berlin, she said she expected her toughest campaign to date, and vowed to “fight for our values and our way of life”.

General elections are expected in Germany next year.

Mrs Merkel’s poll ratings have slipped since the height of her popularity but she retains wide support.

The chancellor, who has been in office since 2005, is being challenged by the populist right-wing AfD party.

She announced she would stand again after meeting party leaders at CDU headquarters.

She told reporters that the decision to run for a fourth term had been “anything but trivial after 11 years in office”.

She added that she expected challenges from both the right and the left of the political spectrum.

Obama just gave her a kind of endorsement last week. If he is as effective in Germany as he was against Brexit, she may be toast.:wink:

As far as I’ve seen, she’s been a good leader. I bet the election will come down to immigration, which is the reason why all the far-right parties have been doing so well in Europe right now. But I’m no expert.

I hope so. Obama pushed for voters to vote Hillary also.

That’s the thing----Merkel spoke up against multiculturalism before it was cool to do so and was one of the first if not the first national leader to do so.

The refugee crisis is a big shock to her voting base. The only thing I can think of is that her backers in Germany, like the Auto companies, insisted on it. But that would not make sense because they must have know that these poor refugees don’t have the skills to work in a First-World country. The other explanation may be she thought she was doing the Christian thing and would be able to use Berlin’s hefty influence in the EU to redistribute the refugees more evenly and never thought countries would rebel since Germany basically runs the EU.

I don’t know that any leader that allows 1 million Muslim “refugees” (who bought with them 600 000 new crimes) into a country of 80 million can in any way be classed as a ‘good leader’.

Insane leader maybe.

lol, exactly what I was thinking. :thumbsup:

I wasn’t going to say anything though because I’m not well versed on her and her policies.

God Bless You

Josh

I agree. she is lucky she hasn’t been kicked out!
I was thinking there were a lot of Germans who were not happy with her.

I think she’s turning out to be the worst leader in western Europe since the end of WW2.

I agree.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.