Angelic Warfare Confraternity Cord

I apologize ahead of time if this is not the proper section for this.

Is it possible that I may make my own cord? It will have 15 knots, but my cord will be different.

The book of Numbers says:

“The Lord said to Moses, ‘Speak to the Israelites and say to them: Throughout the generations to come, you are to make tassels on the corners of one’s garments, with a blue cord on each tassel. You will have these tassels to look at and so will remember all the commands of the Lord, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by going after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes. Then you will remember to obey all My commands, and will be consecrated to your God. I am the Lord your God.’”(15:37-41)

I believe that this cord given to St. Thomas Aquinas is a “continuation” of the tassels spoken about in Numbers. To remind ourselves not not fall into sexual sin. Would it be okay to leave the ends of my cord on the sides, like a tassel, or to attach an actual tassel, to remember my Jewish roots as Catholic?

I know it would personally remind me not to lust, and I recognize that I have struggled with such an issue.

Would this be allowed? I have attached a picture of my cord hanging from my sides. I’d really like to keep them and I just know it will help me stop falling into sexual sin.

Thanks!

You aren’t wearing tzitzit. Catholics don’t wear them. But if you have something to remind you not to sin that is not a bad thing. Do yo plan to wear them outside your garments or tuck them in? You can also carry them in a pocket.

A key chain, perhaps? Key chains can be just about anything.

Or get a jewelry designer to make a flat tassel worn sideways like the modern-day cross bracelets.

Blessings,
Cloisters

-]/-]

primarily tucked in…exactly Haha. They arent tzitzits…first off I only will have two…and theyre really short (unlike tzitzits)

God bless!

Cloisters, you’re brilliant, mate!

I know a couple of jewelry designers…I’ll ask them.

We’ll see. Whatever happens with my request happens…whatever doesn’t, doesn’t.

God bless!

As a member of the Angelic Warfare Confraternity, I must opine.

First, merely wearing a cord with 15 knots in it does not make it the Cord of St. Thomas. It must be blessed according to the approved blessing, and one must be enrolled in the Confraternity according to the approved ritual, both of which must be done by a Dominican priest, or a priest who has been granted faculties from the Dominicans. Furthermore one must recite the prayers required every day to help against sins of the 6th and 9th commandments. Furthermore, the Cord of St. Thomas is meant to be small and thin (it’s a sacramental) not seen by other people.

Very true. I’ve yet to hear from the director to approve my priest for blessing. In Phoenix, we have no Dominican priests.

I totally understand what comes with the cord–I don’t think I’d get involved if it wasn’t to help with chastity.

I mean, some sacramentals are rather large. Brown scapular can be small or large. So can rosaries. I guess it just depends on the confraternity. We’ll see, we’ll see.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.