Angelina's tatoo

“Quod me nutrit, me destruit”.
Could one of you really smart people translate this into English?
Thank you in advance
nianka

What nourishes me destroys me.

Under her navel, huh?

Kinda dark.

[quote=Sebaldus]What nourishes me destroys me.
[/quote]

Thank you!
nianka :slight_smile:

So what’s this supposed to mean?

That food and men can help or hurt me?

My guess is that she suffers from an eating disorder. It is a favorite slogan of that community.

I think it is because she makes lots of money and is trying to remember not to let it all go to her head. She donates lots of money to 3rd World countries and does work for the UN, I think to eliminate land mines.

Who is Angelina? I figure you don’t mean “Angelina Ballerina”, the little mouse in the children’s books.

[quote=dsproule]I think it is because she makes lots of money and is trying to remember not to let it all go to her head. She donates lots of money to 3rd World countries and does work for the UN, I think to eliminate land mines.
[/quote]

Yeah, Jon Voight’s daughter is idiosyncratic, but I think she tries hard to do good for a lot of people.

[quote=La Chiara]Who is Angelina? I figure you don’t mean “Angelina Ballerina”, the little mouse in the children’s books.
[/quote]

You obviously don’t watch TV very much. That’s a good thing.

Angelina Jolie. John Voigt’s daughter. Star of Lara Croft, tomb raider movies, star of Mr. & Mrs. Smith movie, former wife of Billy Bob Thornton, current romantic interest of Brad Pitt, UN goodwill ambassader, age 30.

The first use of this latin phrase was found on a painting thought to be the famous playwright, poet, and scholar- Christopher Marlowe from the late 1500’s. (Shakespear’s time)

Cambridge University found a painting they believe to be Marlowe, and saw this phrase inscripted on the painting.

Because of his continued use of the phrase in his works they assume it is a portrait of him.

A modification of the phrase was also in one of Shakespear’s works.

For Marlowe, the “THAT or WHAT” in the quote referred to his muse. And in most other variations of the quote- the “THAT or WHAT” refers to a passion comming from the person himself wether it be love, or power, fear or hate.

“THAT which nourishes me, destroys me.”

I wouldn’t doubt that Jolie knows some of this history as well, and being a person who lives most of her passions, I would believe that she would use this as a careful reminder.

www2.localaccess.com/marlowe/marloweport.htm

marlowe-society.org/intro.htm

www2.localaccess.com/marlowe/2faces.htm

qunl.com/rees0010.html

(This last one has a picture of Angelina’s tatoo. Please note this tatoo is about an two or three inches above her “ahem” and she is required to adjust her clothing accordingly for it to be seen.) It is provocative and a little suggestive if you are sensitive to this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.