Angels falling from the sky

At my church we were taught that your soul was with God before you were born.

So… do you think that we were like angels falling from the sky, descending down to Earth. We must have been pulled away from the father in order to be born here. I would much rather have stayed with him. Why does he puts us on Earth then? Why couldn’t we just stay with him? I wouldn’t have wanted life if I had the choice. I would have wanted to stay with him in his kingdom.

I also feel sad for the people who might never get back there again because of their sin…

No, I’m pretty sure that each new soul is created by God at the moment of conception. A human being is a union of both body and soul; we don’t start off incomplete, and God doesn’t want us to end up that way, either.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

Angels and humans are completely different creatures of God. They are not interchangeable.

You might want to look up Angel In The Waters, a wonderful picture book about guardian angels. :slight_smile:

Human souls are created by God, which He unites with the human body, at the moment human life begins, which is conception. Case in point, the Immaculate Conception.

Angels are spirits (immaterial creatures). Humans are spirit-animals (body-soul creatures).

So you don’t think that we existed with him before birth?:shrug:

As in reincarnation or what? :confused:

What?

What exactly do you mean by ‘our souls existed with God before birth?’ Just asking for clarification.

I was told by my ministers at church that we (humans) were with God in heaven (our souls were with him) before we came to be as humans on Earth. Before we were born our souls were already made by him.

Hmmm…

"God knew and chose us before we were born…’

Whether that means the same thing, I am not quite clear. Any apologists care to take this on?

The teaching of the Catholic Church is that each is soul created at the moment of its unification with the body. It is Mormon doctrine that teaches the pre-existence of souls.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the “form” of the body: i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

382 “Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity” (GS 14 § 1). The doctrine of the faith affirms that the spiritual and immortal soul is created immediately by God.

I don’t know what church this was, unless it was Mormon, but the idea of “preincarnation” is one of the heresies of Origen repudiated by the Fifth Ecumenical Council.

And another repudiated notion was that souls fell onto earth into “gross matter.”

So, no. we were NEVER like angels falling from the sky.

Not only do I not think this, I KNOW we didn’t.

And I also know that you were taught wrong and have been believing a falsehood, but now you know better.

But this scripture is what makes me think about it;

“before you were in your mother’s womb, I knew you”.

What does this scripture mean then?:shrug:

I think I can safely say that I am not a Mormon, nor was I taught by Mormons…
So you guys think that we never existed at all until we were born?

To join in with bpb: I not only don’t think this, I know we didn’t pre-exist. God knowing us before we were in our mother’s womb, means that His Infinite knowledge knew each person He would create from all eternity, not that we existed before our creation in our mother’s womb.

Zundrah, I know you weren’t instructed by Mormons, but nevertheless you received similar erroneous instruction in your Protestant congregation. Now you have to form your mind (as you are doing) according to Christ and His Church.
[/quote]

I agree that we weren’t ‘spirit babies’ floating around in the sky before we were conceived. God did know of us and knew we would be conceived, just as He knows all things even unto the end of time.

BUT, I will say that this is a common ‘folk’ story often told by mothers to their children. I know my mother did and I have told my children that they ‘came down from the angels’, but that is just a saying when they are particularly well-behaved. :smiley: In realiy, they know that they were not angels before their birth and that we do not become angels upon our death.

When I said that we were like angels falling from the sky I meant that metaphorically. What I mean is, was we with him and them taken away or were we just made at the time in our mothers womb. But I think the answer has been made now.

Catholic theology is clear that we are created at conception; we did not exist prior to our conception. Your soul did not “descend from heaven” to join your body at conception. God created your soul and infused it with your body at conception. Thus, there is absolutely no place for reincarnation in Catholic theology (and no one has “the wrong body”).

I guess this thread is over, since this fact has already been stated by others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.