Angels of the 7 Churches

What is the Catholic view of the angels of the 7 churches in Revelation? Origen wrote them to be the guardian angels of the churches, but it seems some saints like St. Augustine see them more to be the bishops of the churches mentioned. What is the official stand of the Church regarding this?

[quote=Milliardo]What is the official stand of the Church regarding this?
[/quote]

There is no “official” Church position on this. It would be extremely unusual (and I cannot think of a single instance) for the Church to take a position on any particular passage of prophetic Scripture (and it’s pretty unusual for the Church to take a position on ANY passage of Scripture).

Ironicly, although only the Church has the capacity to rightly interpret Scripture, She rarely does so.

Well, let me rephrase that then: what is the consensus of the Church regarding the angels of the 7 churches in Revelation?

[quote=Milliardo]Well, let me rephrase that then: what is the consensus of the Church regarding the angels of the 7 churches in Revelation?
[/quote]

I don’t think you will get a consensus. The footnotes of the NAB say “Angels: these are the presiding spirits of the seven churches. Angels were thought to be in charge of the physical world.” The footnotes in the NJB say something similar. However the NAB also adds “Some have seen in the ‘angel’ of each of the seven churches its pastor or a personification of the spirit of the congregation

Personally I go for the angels being the guardian angels of the particular churches.

From the Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 20. Angels. These are the seven bishops of the churches. Christ’s having them in his right hand, shews the care he takes of his Church. (Calmet)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.