Angels

What ever your faith, I am interested in who was considered to have the blessing to be able to summon angels in times of great need? Not sure how to word this so I will start out with this broad question.

Who were they and what was believed that gave them that ability. Under what circumstances did God respond to their plea?

With great sincerity and respect,
Sierradepadre:shrug:

No

Angels are not servants of us , but servants of God. They answer only to him.

Angels are often messengers of God. They come when God has something to say to us or for other reasons, of God’s bidding, not ours.

Shalom!

We can pray to angels (St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle…) and saints. But we cannot control or summon them.

Find some traditional Catholic prayers. You can’t go wrong with anything with imprimatur (Church approval) on it.

God bless.

Summoning angels or other spirits is considered sorcery. For religions that incorporate sorcery, the sorcerer is usually a leader of some kind.

Angels can’t be summoned by us. We can pray to God to send some troops to ward off temptation, but how His power to support us is unknown and may have nothing to do with Angels. We have a Guardian Angel who has been placed to guard us, and from what I read of their powers we may really only need one.
I see a lot of new age people talk of Angel healings and communication with them. Normally sad old women with too many cats, but all of this demotes the power and Glory of God and distracts us to His created beings. Our attention, worship, love, gratitude and concentration in all our prayers must only go to our God in the Trinity alone.
Summoning angels is way above our pay rates.

I know they have free will, who knows what kind of latitude that gives them

Now, now - I bet some of them have dogs, too. Poor cat ladies get all the bad press.

Gods creatures, they are within the Church thus the Communion of Saints. They can and do intercede just as we intercede and they are venerated because of their status in the Lords Kingdom and His will. Consider…

catholictradition.org/Angels/michael.htm

We all have a guardian angel who we can call upon. However the angel only obey God and the only one who could summon angels who is human is Jesus.

Catechism -352 The Church venerates the angels who help her on her earthly pilgrimage and protect every human being.

Psalms 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.

Psalm 91:9-11 If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;

Tobit 12:12 the Archangel Raphael said to Tobias, “So now when you and Sarah prayed, it was I who brought and read the record of your prayer before the glory of the Lord, and likewise whenever you would bury the dead.”

Tobit 12: 14b-16 we read further, “And at the same time God sent me to heal you and Sarah your daughter-in-law. I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who stand ready and enter before the glory of the Lord. The two of them were shaken; they fell face down, for they were afraid.”

For more…

catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=774

newadvent.org/cathen/01476d.htm

Humans do not summon angels. God summons them to carry out His Will. Angels are completely loyal to God’s Will,not their own. Those who refused are called demons or fallen angels.

All angels as all fallen angels, including Lucifer have limits. And why? Because God puts limits on them.

I know that we cannot summon angels. My question pertain to the Bible or any other mainstream religious sacred text.
Maybe my question is this, who in the bible or any other sacred text has prayed to God for help in which God sent forth his angels ?

Gary Taylor touched upon some interesting quotes that I need to read further. Thank you

Guardian angels oh yes. In secular terms, they are often referred to “imaginary friends.”
I
will formulate my question(s) again

I am aware of instances in which angels have appeared to people in the Bible such as our Blessed Mother,Gabriel.“Hail full of Grace…”

As stated earlier. Jesus in Mathew

Just to name a few…
I have not spent a lot of time studying angels but the topic has come up often and many books have been written.

Illness and meds fog my thoughts so I will return with more questions

And yes, Cat ladies do seem to get the bad rap!

Sierradepadre:)

Those who can see Angels do, and those who can interact with them do.

Those who can’t see them nor interact with them, base all their knowledge on dogma and hear say.

Some work I need to do

[Angels are mentioned nearly 300 times in the Bible. What do the scriptures reveal about angels?](“Angels are mentioned nearly 300 times in the Bible. What do the scriptures reveal about angels?”)

sierradepadre

The Book of Tobit. God sends the Archangel Rafael to guide Tobit’s son Tobias to a distant location and where he meets Sara his future wife.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.