Angels

It seems that people tend to think of angels as beings who have no free will and mechanically do God’s bidding. However, the Bible says otherwise. Satan and his demons were once angels of God, but they choose to rebel against Him, proving that angels do have free will. This leads me to another interesting topic. The Bible says that God created man in His own image. This to me seems apparent in the fact that, unlike animals, humans can think, reason, and understand and choose to do right or wrong. Since angels also apparently have these abilities, it seems that angels must have also been created in God’s image. I just wanted to share these thoughts with you.

[quote=Young Christian]Since angels also apparently have these abilities, it seems that angels must have also been created in God’s image. I just wanted to share these thoughts with you.
[/quote]

Certainly food for thought, though God may have very well created angels to look like something other than Himself (or Themselves if you want to stay Trinitarian.) On the other hand, what little information we have regarding man’s encounter with angels seems to depict them in “human” likeness…which if humans were made in God’s image, one could make the leap that angels were too. Whether that’s right or not…God only knows…and we’ll find out when we move on to the next stage.

Since it is our spiritual souls which are most like God, one can say that angels, being pure spirit, and possessing intelligence and free will, are also made in the image of God.

[quote=JimG]Since it is our spiritual souls which are most like God, one can say that angels, being pure spirit, and possessing intelligence and free will, are also made in the image of God.
[/quote]

They had free will originally and were asked to choose to love God or not. Satan and other angels chose not to love God and fell from grace. The angels who chose to love God used their free will to choose to do God’s bidding forever so thereafter no free will.

Well, yes, that’s one way of putting it. The nature of their wills hasn’t changed by making a decision for or against God. But the decision, once made, is irrevocable. Their will, (and ours) once exposed to the direct Beatific Vision, is so drawn to the Infinite Good that the will cannot turn away from God.

Interesting insite.

I have always considered this as a question about the way we perceive time. For angels, time is laid out before them in ‘one moment’ if you like. I see time as like a map. We see things in a linear sense making decisions about whatever confronts us at that moment and guessing about things that lie ahead. We can log where we have been and have some sort of bearing for where we are heading, but in truth know little about the path that lies ahead. Imagine now, if you will, an angel, rising up from our position on the map. The relief becomes clear and they can see where we have been, possible alternative directions we could have taken and didn’t. Where we will go and what might affect our path.
An angel makes a decision for or against and for us that decision would seem to last for all time, but that is merely because of our limited, linear perspective of things.

[quote=Young Christian]It seems that people tend to think of angels as beings who have no free will and mechanically do God’s bidding. However, the Bible says otherwise. Satan and his demons were once angels of God, but they choose to rebel against Him, proving that angels do have free will. This leads me to another interesting topic. The Bible says that God created man in His own image. This to me seems apparent in the fact that, unlike animals, humans can think, reason, and understand and choose to do right or wrong. Since angels also apparently have these abilities, it seems that angels must have also been created in God’s image. I just wanted to share these thoughts with you.
[/quote]

Not according to the Word of God. Angels are spiritual beings,not flesh and blood.,although they can take physical form.Read Ezekiel 1-14 Isaiah6;2 as some of the discriptions of what Angels look like. :wink: Other times they can appear like men or women. Read Daniel 8;15-17 God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Not according to the Word of God. Angels are spiritual beings,not flesh and blood.,although they can take physical form.Read Ezekiel 1-14 Isaiah6;2 as some of the discriptions of what Angels look like. :wink: Other times they can appear like men or women. Read Daniel 8;15-17 God Bless
[/quote]

Yup. Some of those descriptions can scare you to death. But just to confuse the matter, the Lord says that in the Kingdom, we will be “like angels.” Hm.

[quote=mercygate]Yup. Some of those descriptions can scare yo to death. But just to confuse the matter, the Lord says that in the Kingdom, we will be “like angels.” Hm.
[/quote]

Is that spiritually or physically? :confused: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Is that spiritually or physically? :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Well, Jesus refers to this as “In the resurrection” where they “neither marry nor are given in marriage.” So that would indicate that BOTH physically and spiritually we will be like angels – at least in respect of ‘not marrying.’ Physical generativity applies to earth, where we are born, live and die. But in Heaven we do not die, and heaven is something of a consummation: a goal. Thus, there would be no reproduction . . . . Just speculating here, but I think it makes sense.

I recommend reading C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy if you are interested in angles. It definitely is major food for thought regarding angles and the devil, etc.

I also recommend Al Kresta’s second book - “Why are catholic’s so concerned about sin?” - it’s got great sections on things like this.

[quote=Anthony’s Mom]I recommend reading C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy if you are interested in angles. It definitely is major food for thought regarding angles and the devil, etc.

I also recommend Al Kresta’s second book - “Why are catholic’s so concerned about sin?” - it’s got great sections on things like this.
[/quote]

Is this book about fishing?(angles) :smiley: God Bless

Here is a link to a great homily about angels and a great talk about St. Michael the Archangel.

ftp://217.160.246.215/pub/audionet/Desert_Voice/StMichael/

[quote=C S P B]Here is a link to a great homily about angels and a great talk about St. Michael the Archangel.

ftp://217.160.246.215/pub/audionet/Desert_Voice/StMichael/
[/quote]

I didn’t know that angels could be made saints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.