Angelus Press sells out of 1962 Missals

This is an excerpt I found on Fr. Z’s blog from an email sent by Angelus Press:
*"I want to give you three numbers. The first is zero. This is the number of 1962 Roman Catholic Daily Missals we currently have in stock. The second number is 700. This is the number of our daily hand-missals sold last Friday to a church in the Chicago Archdiocese celebrating the Mass of the Extraordinary Form (a.k.a., the Latin Mass of 1962). The third number is 105,650. This is the number of dollars contributed in September by our apostolate partners allowing Angelus Press to amp up its revised production schedule for the rest of 2007. *
On behalf of Angelus Press and the Society of St. Pius X for which it publishes, I thank you for putting your money where your prayers are in response to our Emergency Reprint appeal. If I throw out the highest and lowest contributions, the average donation came to $382.52."
wdtprs.com/blog/2007/10/reprinting-liturgical-books-market-forces-and-unity-with-rome/

Whatever you think of Angelus press, this is fantastic news! The numbers are very impressive.

This is indeed great! I remember back a few months ago Baronius Press either sold out of their 1962 missals or came close to it. Anything that proves the laity is in fact behind the TLM is great news to me. I only hope for one close to me soon.

Contrary to what some would have us believe, there is a demand for the Tridentine Mass within the Church.

Exactly, unlike some people who like to think it will always just be a ‘fringe’ Mass or won’t catch on. After reading this and Msgr. Perl remarks it is wonderful news!

To bad none of them went to Roman Catholics in Eastern PA. Since only one or two parishes offer it once a week at some odd hour of the day.

To bad none of them went to Roman Catholics in Eastern PA. Since only one or two parishes offer it once a week at some odd hour of the day.

If you want to celebrate the Tridentine Mass then you have a right to do so. No one can stop you from attending this Mass anymore. If they try to stop you or deny you this rite, then get in touch with Ecclesia Dei and inform them. Don’t tolerate disobedient Bishops. The Pope has given us his permission.

If you really want it…then fight for it. Why not find like-minded individuals in your parish and request for this Mass. Start a group or affiliate with the Latin Mass Society.

In the future, this Mass will be far more widespread and popular. They couldn’t supress this Mass years ago so they definitely won’t be able to now. More and more men are joining FSSP and Christ the King seminaries. There will be a lot of young Priests who celebrate the Tridentine Mass in years to come.

First of all I feel it is the responsibility of the “priests” at these parishes to find like minded individuals within the parish or shrines, since it will be the priest who will be offering up the Mass. I don’t have time to be handing out questionares to parishiners. If the priests can’t do it, then they have failed at their calling to worship God in the “most beautiful and worthy” way possible. And to “face” God during the eucharist, by facing the tabernacle. Not turning his back on him, like protestants do!. It is their JOB, to oversee the training, to make sure the choir starts learning how to sing beautiful hymns, like Gregorian Chant and classical music by composers, like Thomas Tallis, or Mozart who composed for the Church. Not John Talbot, or Go Tell It On The Mountain, which is fine outside of God’s Holy Temple, not in it. They need to bring in priests who know how to properly offer the mass to learn and to show the whole parish, especially those who have never experienced it, what the Tridentine Mass is and what the rubirics have to offer their parishiners. To educate their parishiners about the old calender vs the new calender. So the parishinors can see for themselves, not just by words, but by example. Even the Anglican Use (Sarum Rite), could be the perect starting point for the reform of the reform, for the vernacular mass.

I think Baronius is reprinting the Missal to be available soon. DH is supposed to be getting me one for Christmas.:smiley: :thumbsup:

Anyone who thinks that there is no demand from the laity for the Latin Mass needs to go the one in San Juan Capistrano, CA. You can’t argue with attendance in the hundreds (in fact, most people don’t have a seat in the church) and lines out the door for communion.

As for Missals selling out, it just goes to show the effect of our Holy Father’s letter. I know it got me more interested in attending a Latin Mass, and I convinced my mother to attend. She now loves it as well. One person at a time, this WILL grow. :smiley:

First of all I feel it is the responsibility of the “priests” at these parishes to find like minded individuals within the parish or shrines, since it will be the priest who will be offering up the Mass. I don’t have time to be handing out questionares to parishiners. If the priests can’t do it, then they have failed at their calling to worship God in the “most beautiful and worthy” way possible. And to “face” God during the eucharist, by facing the tabernacle. Not turning his back on him, like protestants do!. It is their JOB, to oversee the training, to make sure the choir starts learning how to sing beautiful hymns, like Gregorian Chant and classical music by composers, like Thomas Tallis, or Mozart who composed for the Church. Not John Talbot, or Go Tell It On The Mountain, which is fine outside of God’s Holy Temple, not in it. They need to bring in priests who know how to properly offer the mass to learn and to show the whole parish, especially those who have never experienced it, what the Tridentine Mass is and what the rubirics have to offer their parishiners. To educate their parishiners about the old calender vs the new calender. So the parishinors can see for themselves, not just by words, but by example. Even the Anglican Use (Sarum Rite), could be the perect starting point for the reform of the reform, for the vernacular mass.

It is not the responsibility of the Priest to promote the Tridentine Mass and find parishioners who want it. Priests already have enough to worry about without adding this to the list. You should feel lucky to have a Priest in these days of the priest shortage. If you are not willing to do what you can in order to get a Tridentine Mass, then you must not really want it. You can’t expect it to be handed to you on a plate.

Priests who do not celebrate the Tridentine Mass have not failed in their calling! The Mass of Paul VI is perfectly valid and beautiful when celebrated properly. You seem bent on disparaging the new Mass just for the sake of it. The ordinary and extraordinary forms of the Mass are just as good as each other and they are both just as valid. If you prefer the new Mass, then that’s great. However, do not suggest that the new Mass is inferior because it is still a sacrifice. Anything that produces the most holy Eucharist is worthy of respect. You may not agree with the abuses, but the N.O is a beautiful thing when celebrated reverently.

Not everyone likes the Tridentine Mass. That’s their opinion. I love it but I don’t hold it against them for prefering the Mass of Paul VI. From reading your post, I came away with the impression that you don’t regard the new order of the Mass as valid. That is wrong and heretical. No wonder the Traditional movement has a bad reputation.

here is more fantastic news, the missals are available at tan books, ebay, you name it. we got lots in my city:thumbsup:

I have never seen one from Tan Books before. I am looking for a 1962 Missal, so I want to check everybody out, and couldn’t find a missal on their website. Can you point me in the right direction, thanks!

ok, try this link:

stfrancisbooks.com/

Great site, thanks.

No, but they are still required by Canon Law to be somewhat fluent in Latin. Priests who don’t know but a few words in Latin have definitely failed in their “calling,” though they still may have the full blessings of their bishop and congregation. But this may be better argued in a separate thread.

I came away with the impression that you don’t regard the new order of the Mass as valid. That is wrong and heretical.

On the contrary. New rites were prohibited by the Council of Trent. Even those who attended the Vatican II sessions knew this.

On the contrary. New rites were prohibited by the Council of Trent. Even those who attended the Vatican II sessions knew this.

Quotes?

Proof?

Explanation?

I attend the Tridentine Mass and haven’t been to a NO since I was a child. I can’t really remember what the NO is like. However, I do not question its validity. I’m interested in what you have to say regarding this. Start a new thread on this if you want; it’ll make for some pretty interesting reading.

Session VII, Canon XIII if I remember correctly. (I’ll double-check later.) Says nothing about validity, however.

Problem is that it is rarely celebrated properly, by the majority in this country. I do not like extra ordinary eucharistic ministers, the music, or the female altar servers no matter how properly it is done.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.