Anger at anti-catholic?

I’m in College right now and my Philosophy professor is pretty anti-Christian (just like virtually every teacher I’ve ever had since kindergarten). The other day we were talking about “love” and what “love” means and she believes that most love is just “domination” and “ownership”, blahblahblah, the usual prattle.

So we were going around the room talking about what love meant for us and one girl talked about how her mother left her husband and family to live her own life and how the girl’s father was always willing to take her back, always loved her, never stopped trying to bring her back into their lives, never rejected her when she left them again, etc. Really a pretty touching story. Of course the teacher talks about how that wasn’t “real love”, it was about the husband “owning” his wife, etc. Then she goes on about how children don’t experience love because they’re disciplined so much and treated as “objects”, etc. etc.

Finally I speak up and say “if THAT’S not love, that story she just told, then what the hell is? You’re trying to take ‘love’ and warp it into something that fits your political beliefs,” and she made some snarky remark and people laughed at me.

I was friggin’ livid. I’m SO sick of people like her, my whole damn life I’ve had to listen to them, everyone in my generation has, they’ve pretty much ruined the country with their state-funded brainwashing. But I mean I was really mad about this. Is it sinful to get really mad at someone for saying anti-christian things? I wasn’t actually thinking like “I hope she dies!” or anything that hateful, in the back of my head I thought “she’s just another sinner like we all are, I hope God leads her to the faith”, but I was still extremely angry.

Moar rant: the worst thing about people like my philosophy professor is that you CAN’T argue with them because any sort of debate is “mean” and “intolerant”. They don’t give you responses, just vague psychobabble. And I’m the “bad guy” for saying that love is about sacrificing yourself to another person, forgetting your self (ironic that she’s obsessed with eastern religion but also seems to think selflessness is a manifestation of the patriarchy).

Certainly your anger was justified to the extent that you felt yourself demeaned and your faith attacked. I would say that you held yourself pretty well in check.

I am married to a wonderful woman who has developed Alzheimers disease. I am 54 and she is 70 (16 uears difference). I remain with her and take care of her and love her with all of my heart. I would no more leave her than I would stop breathing. I don’t mind cleaning up after her, or changing her pants, or holding her when she crys in desperation, or just sitting and holding hands for hours because she can’t stand me to be away from her.

If she thinks my Love for my wife is about “Control” or other such silliness, she is way off her rocker.

I guess all one can do about such a person is pray for them - and also stand up for what you believe in a true and Christian manner. I might ask this teacher if it is her intent to teach general philosophy or to simply promote her philosophy.

By the way, what was the reaction of the girl whose story so moved you. Was she as appalled at the teachers response as you were?

Peace
James

John,

For contextual purposes, I am a 49 year old Ph.D. (molecular biology), married father of three small children who has taught college for fifteen years.

First, I note that you are in Virginia. Would you consider transferring to a solid Catholic college such as Christendom College? Perhaps Franciscan University in Ohio?

St. Paul tells us that if we are to be angry, let it be without sin. He does not say, “Don’t be angry.” Don’t wish her harm. Pray that she wins a giant lottery, buys a Carribean Island and retires there with all of her like-minded faculty friends for a nice, long, and enjoyable retirement. When I was in graduate school, I had a chemistry professor who was satan’s kid brother. He retired that semester, and to spite the bio faculty (with whom he had a thirty year war) he failed all seven Ph.D. students from my department in Physical Chemistry. Nice guy. The following semester we had a new professor who was as decent as the old guy was evil. When the chemistry dept. chairman asked my impressions of what Dr. Satan did to us, I responded that I hoped he was enjoying his retirement as much as I was. That’s being angry without sin.

I’m lucky to have gone to undergrad when I did. Things were starting to change, but not by much. I got the last of the old time liberal arts education. This professor of yours has a world view that is characterized by radical feminism. It is the evil that has destroyed much of western civilization. There are two major issues here.

1. You and your peers are NOT being educated, but indoctrinated in an American form of Maoist reeducation camps. Consequently, you are being ripped off for tens of thousands of dollars.

2. What are your obligations in charity to this woman?

Let’s start with #2. Pray for her. She suffers. She’s been badly hurt, badly educated, and as you have seen, badly twisted by hatred and agony. She has become the very oppressive monster that she accuses others of being. She, more than most people, is least deserving of your prayers, but most in need of them. Offer up your eucharistic receptions this week for her intentions.

Now for #1. Prayers aside, don’t lose your righteous anger. If there is any way you can do it, get to an authentically Catholic College where the education exists in an entirely different dimension. I don’t know how much you have been able to put together about professors such as this one, so here goes.

Ultimately, their movement was spawned in the pit of Hell. That’s no hyperbole. At the center of it all is the assault on men, on earthly fatherhood, and ultimately God’s fatherhood. We are oppressors. There is no such thing as love, only control. That has been used to teach women that motherhood is servile and that their true dignity resides in the workplace. Children, then, are the millstones around women’ necks. Enter abortion. (50 million in the US since 1973. I.8 BILLION worldwide since 1960) Then there is feminism’s support for gay marriage. If heterosexual marriage is an oppressive institution, why gay marriage? Why push for gays what you disdain for heterosexuals? Because it’s sterile. Because it mocks real marriage in its evil, farcical aping of God’s wise design. Because it spits in God’s eye.

In targeting fatherhood, they then go after motherhood. Then they go after the Church (patriarchal). They know that our families are the mirror of the inner life of the Trinity and that marital oneness and sacrificial love are the prefigurement of the marriage between Jesus and His bride the Church. There is a reason why Jesus chooses marriage as the representation of His relationship with the Church. There is a reason why marriage and sacrificial love are the targets of modern feminism. Just look at what has become of our Church and western civilization. By the middle of this century, every European Country will have Muslim majorities. Think that’s an accident? We have been taught by the radical feminists to contraceive ourselves out of existence as a Christian civilization.

Jesus promised that He would be with us always and that the gates of hell would not prevail against His Church. He never said it would be an easy ride.

Get out of that school if you can and go somewhere that will feed you.

People who are so self centered as to be unable to experience Love have two choices-either admit their character defect or claim love does not exist. We can see the route your Teacher takes.

Mockery is predicted for the latter days. Plenty of that around. Mockery is illogical, prof. Specious arguments in support of pure mockery are illogical. Enjoy your brain. Pity them their loss. What is good will be called evil and what is evil will be called good. Plenty of that, too. So be angry and sin not. My beloved priest wisely advised me to pray for the gifts of the Holy Spirit and say the prayer, “Father, forgive them; they know not what they do.” Know-nothings…Enjoy a new audience. Start a blog with lots of pretty pin-ups of your campus and your prof and a carefully reconstructed transcript of your encounter. Huh…Hardness of hearts is also predicted. Seems like you have the prophetic Trifecta. Be angry and sin not. I make a personal practice of lavishing a little goodness on people who are upright in lieu of concentrating on those insane with sin. Take a kindly janitor to lunch. And get that blog going. And pray for me to NEVER lose my temper. Thanks and God bless.

So far you have received some good advice. I was wondering if your prof has stated how she defines love?

Anger, in and of itself, is not a sin. Look at what St. Thomas Aquinas says about anger:

newadvent.org/summa/3158.htm#article1

Bascially, he says “…evil may be found in anger, when, to wit, one is angry, more or less than right reason demands. But if one is angry in accordance with right reason, one’s anger is deserving of praise.”

in the first place your professor is committing a fatal error in teaching, projecting her own subjective experience as truth, but so are the rest of the class being invited to do so. This person’s experience, furthermore, shows her own bad experience with love, having been disappointed most likely by the very people who should have taught her about real love at an early age. Even without knowing her story, it is a matter for concern, and a loving reaction on the part of the Christian, not a matter for scorn and anger. If you truly wish to convince her your own Christian view of love is true, the only way to do that is to model true Christian love, forebearance and forgiveness, and until you reach that point she is right, it is only a word, as Tina Turner says. The best book on this topic for the Christian in how to act in these situations remains Search and Rescue by Patrick Madrid.

Your anger is justified. Be careful though, so that you don’t let it turn into something else. You can do something constructive about your anger. I really think this instructor is out of line. If this is a general philosophy class that is what she should be teaching. Her own philosophy is not what you are there for. File a complaint about her, and see if others are as fed up as you. It might only be the girl that shared her story, or there could be several others out there. It is your choice, but it may be worth considering. At least at the end of class, if they do teacher evals by students, let your voice be heard and tell the administration what you think. (Does this make sense.)

Most of my instructors, throughout my entire academic career, were anti-God. Those that were not, stood out like lights in the darkness. Remember them as those who helped show you the way.

My understanding is that, for her, love requires the utmost respect of the other person because human beings are naturally free and therefore to do anything to restrict that freedom is not love because you’re destroying the person’s humanity and making them your object.

As for the girl, I don’t know what she thought, she didn’t say anything.

It’s not so much that most of my professors disagree with me - I can deal with that. I had an English prof last year who basically thought everything I said was pure evil but at least she respected me enough to give reasons for her beliefs and to listen to mine. People like my philosophy prof don’t listen to reason - after all, isn’t reason just a tool of oppression constructed by the white man? Aren’t gender roles just “social constructs” and haven’t anthropologists proved that there’s nothing universal? (of course I’m being sarcastic)

Vis-a-vis gender roles being socially constructed . . . I guess the best argument I can give is that our gender roles are both 1.) natural (and this can be proven by all the psychological studies comparing men to women in different cultures, not to mention physical differences in the brain) and 2.) come from God, because Christ his Son died and rose from the dead and he, along with this apostles to whom he gave the authority to represent him, affirmed these “traditional” gender roles.

And of course she would respond that the gender roles of Christ were just manifestations of Jewish culture in the 1st century, never mind the fact that Christianity spread outside its birthplace to Greece, Persia, India, Rome, not to mention the barbarian interior, and all of these cultures had differing gender roles and, to a greater or lesser degree, gender roles contrary to the teachings of Christ, but fully accepted the Christian one without any real hullaballoo as far as I know.

She would also probably respond (if she would respond at all, which I doubt) with the whole “lost gospels” “christ’s teachings were perverted” nonsense, which I can also argue against.

Right now I’m thinking I’ll shoot her an email - a respectful email (after all she does have a doctorate and probably does know more about philosophy than I do) explaining my views and why I sometimes seem “defensive” (because I’m being attacked, and the Church is constantly being attacked in this day and age, from cradle to grave we are surrounded by influences which are opposed to Catholic teaching).

Also I just wanna say I don’t argue with her in class pretty much ever because I don’t want to seem like some preachy know-it-all (doing so would probably do more harm to Christianity than good, I think). When she’s teaching us about a philosopher I’ll ask a question (which she tends to dodge), etc. but that’s it.

And honestly she’s a nice enough woman most of the time, even though her views are pure evil and Satan has made a cozy nest in her mouth :stuck_out_tongue:

To expand more: she takes the view that love is usually “just a word” that can’t be defined and is used to mask evil.

How would you define happiness? You can’t, but does that mean happiness doesn’t exist?

Can you describe what an orange tastes like? You can’t, but does that mean a citrus taste doesn’t exist?

That’s just something I’m flirting with in my head right now . . . the Socratic idea that you have to define something to know it. I feel like some things are so fundamental to our experience that they can’t be described because language presupposes them, but that’s not an ipso facto proof that those fundamental things are false.

Does she consider monogamous marriage a restiction of freedom?

In terms of “you took a solemn oath before God to never leave your husband/wife?” Absolutely.

Though it’s hard to pin down exactly what she thinks because she’s often so vague and wishywashy.

The best description of Love I have across is as follows:

*4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. *

• 8Love never fails*

However merely mentioning St Pauls name to most feminsits is enough to provoke instant outrage.

I wonder if one were to re-write it, and mix up the order, if it could be proposed without immediate recognition and dismissal.

OR perhaps it could be proposed piecemeal as in -
Would you agree that True Love is Trusting? (not envious) Yes or No
Would you say that True Love is Gentle? (kind) Yes or No.

Such a tactic might get the professor, and much of the class to agree with Paul before they even know it.

Peace
James

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

FWIW not all professors, even liberal ones, are like my philosophy prof. Even as I write this I’m involved in an email conversation with my English professor about the Catholic Church and Subsidiarity, state’s-rights, etc. He doesn’t agree with me but he’s being very kind and gentle to me (and I to him) and he’s truly openminded . . . I really respect that a lot.

Started out with me explaining to him how the Church wasn’t silent about slavery at all, how she opposed forced slavery as early as the 15th century while not criticizing slavery itself (though harsh treatment of slaves would obviously be sinful), and by the 1830s released In Supremo Apostolatus which criticized slavery itself as inherently evil, called for an end to the slave-trade, etc.

We’re also talking about a paper I wrote where I said that I liked Jefferson’s ideal of secession and how I thought all regions should be allowed to secede, so we’re discussing that too, he’s just now raised the paradox: should a region be allowed to secede if it is destroying fundamental human rights? And that’s an honest question, and a good question, and one that I’ll be thinking about for some time before answering.

THIS is how academics should be.

So don’t get all doom-and-gloom folks: there are conservative catholic professors out there, and not all of the liberal humanist ones are so bad! (just wrong :p)

It seems like you’re already handling the situation pretty well. :o

The problem would appear to be that his professor concentrates on “me” while love MUST ecompass “Us”

This is completely off topic, but I have had this conversation about seccession with history buffs and it is quite interesting. Especially looking at it from the perspective of “What if the South had won the war in 1865”? and how that would have changed the history of the world.

However looking at the matter from a larger perspective and more general perspective, once seccession is established as acceptable, the entire authoritative Structure of the Government collapses. If the Confederacy had won in 1865, then seccession would have been established as acceptable. After that, what is to prevent any state, north or south from seceeding at any time. What prevents several states from seceeding and reforming in a new confederation? Then - What prevents one part of a state from seceeding from the rest of the state??

In fact in this discussion I find a great parallel with the reformation. ONce the Authority of the church government was cast off, the splitting and resplitting began.

Peace
James

this seems like it’s been worked out already, but i’d like to add alittle more…
i know it’s hard, but when you’re angry, it’s usually better to be silent, not always or in every case, sometimes it’s better to speak up, but when someone is angry, they tend to say things without thinking about it first, in which case they say something they didn’t want to or something they could have put alot better.

i can understand why this professor of yours makes you angry, she would make me angry to, but you can train your mind to think and react differently to people like her,
first of all, try putting yourself in her shoes, she honestly thinks shes right, she may be intentionally making attacks on Christianity, but she doesn’t honestly know what she is doing, she doesn’t honestly know what she’s risking,
you and i know she’s misguided, she’s not just a lost soul, she’s a victim, the devil has hold of her, even though she will be held accountable by God for her decisions, she can still be helped, you might feel inferior by her sometimes, but in reality you know better then her, and God expects more from you because you know more, so in a way, you should be looking after her, spiritually atleast, in your prayers.
and by your example, what do you think people will be thinking of you when you get all worked up and angry? will they see that and be attracted to the Catholic faith? or be turned off?
no one likes to be angry, people are attracted to peace and joy, because that is what everyone wants,
one of my favorite quotes is “Preach often, and when necessary, use words”
that means, you do the most for people simply by your good example, people aren’t impressed by words alone, words are cheap, people are more impressed by your actions, if you have peace and joy, then you must be doing something right, and they want that to…

as for the whole love thing,
love is a really complicated thing, because for one, God is love, and if God is a mystery to us, then love must be mysterious to, which it is…but there are different types of love,
love of your parents, love of your spouse, love for your children, love of neighbor, love for your country, love of God…with enough time i could probably put each of them into words somehow…but i don’t have time right now, instead i’ll just cut to the chase…
we know someone loves us by what they are willing to suffer for us, your love is best shown in your actions, not your words,
to say “i love you” can be very shallow and empty words without showing it,
we can see how much Jesus loved us by what He went through during His Passion for us, although we will never fathom how much love God truly has for us,
one reason i believe God put us on this earth is to learn to love, because it is something we must learn, and since God is love, then hate is not part of God at all, in which case we should never hate anyone,
and if God is in everyone, then we should actually love everyone, even if we don’t like them, which is possible, we know that by the stories of the saints, you can love everyone, even your professor,
it won’t happen over night, it would be a learning process, and with God all things are possible, so never say never, or you doubt Gods power…

whenever you go through humiliations like that, you can turn it into something good, simply by offering it up to God, remember the humiliations He went through on earth, unite your sufferings with His, so then you are suffering with Him, and also comforting Him,
every moment of suffering can be turned into something good, and even joyful, if you unite it to Jesus’ suffering.

well…i think i’ve said more than enough, but one more thing before i go,
here’s something you can say to yourself whenever someone angers you or upsets you in any way, or even just something to say for someone you just don’t like very much, just say “Lord, please make them happy in this life, and in the next”
that’s it…it will calm you down, it will help them because it is an actual prayer, and God will be much more pleased by that than by your anger or resentment.

alright, hope this helps you, tc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.