Anger at Pen: Poking Holes In Paper?

I lost my temper because my pen wouldn’t write, and I stabbed holes in my pile of paper. This does not seem like grave matter to me, but is this a sin because I was angry? :confused:

One more thing: When does anger become a sin?

Is the paper a person?
No.
Or a possession of someone else of value?
Doesn’t sound like it.

Anger if not a sin in itself. Wrath is.

If it bothers you, see a priest and take comfort in the wise guidance he can offer you. I have had great experience taking the counsel of priests. (and other good friends as well)

Anger is an emotion. It is what you do with anger that may be a sin. However, getting that angry over a stupid pen may mean that you do have anger issues.

Were you having a bad day to begin with?

Thanks for the replies! I know this is a very silly question. I just didn’t know when anger becomes a sin. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I have anger issues exactly, but I can get quite angry in political and religious arguments. Thus, I try to avoid discussing politics and religion. Most of the time I am very docile and meek.

I actually have had a good day today. I was just doing my college math homework (I’m tired at the moment), and I just lost my temper when my pen was acting up and not writing.

Anger can be yes a sin.

But just because there is anger does not mean a sin was committed.

And importantly there is “just anger” such as that of Jesus in the Temple.

If you were doing college math homework, anger is justified.

Since anger is an emotion, I personally don’t see how anger can be sin unless it is acted upon in sinful ways. I think that anger is sometimes a symptom of other problems that are not being dealt with such as exhaustion, sorrow, heartache, pain or illness.

So Grandma’s advice is to get some sleep. Take care of yourself.

Anger is not necessarily sinful in and of itself. Righteous anger is not sinful (getting angry at a sacrilege, for example). Anger becomes mortal when it becomes extreme, when you want to seriously harm a person.

From the Catechism:

“Anger is a desire for revenge. If anger reaches the point of a deliberate desire to kill or seriously wound a neighbor, it is gravely against charity; it is a mortal sin (CCC 2302).”

Melodeonist, I would chalk this up as imprudence, particularly if you tend to worry about minor faults, but it touches on an interesting and often under-appreciated principle known as universal destination. Here I quote from the Catechism:
The Universal Destination and the Private Ownership of Goods

2402 In the beginning God entrusted the earth and its resources to the common stewardship of mankind to take care of them, master them by labor, and enjoy their fruits. The goods of creation are destined for the whole human race. However, the earth is divided up among men to assure the security of their lives, endangered by poverty and threatened by violence. The appropriation of property is legitimate for guaranteeing the freedom and dignity of persons and for helping each of them to meet his basic needs and the needs of those in his charge. It should allow for a natural solidarity to develop between men.

2403 The right to private property, acquired or received in a just way, does not do away with the original gift of the earth to the whole of mankind. The universal destination of goods remains primordial, even if the promotion of the common good requires respect for the right to private property and its exercise.

2404 “In his use of things man should regard the external goods he legitimately owns not merely as exclusive to himself but common to others also, in the sense that they can benefit others as well as himself.” The ownership of any property makes its holder a steward of Providence, with the task of making it fruitful and communicating its benefits to others, first of all his family.

With this in mind, I believe destruction of property, even ones own property, is sinful. That’s what I tell my children when they have destructive tantrums.

You write a lot on CAF about your temper, anger, and lashing out in anger. Taken in isolation, these seem like one-off “bad hair day” incidents. Taken collectively, they seem to point to a larger anger issue. Perhaps it is something to talk to a school counselor or your pastor about.

I think that it’s good to actually think about this.

If you’re having angry outbursts though over a period of time, if I were you, I would actually think about what might be causing you to get angry.

For me personally, I usually find that there’s something underlying underneath that’s usually causing my anger about something. For example, I could actually be frustrated about something.

(In my homework days) I used to prefer sitting alone in my car and having a good 'ol fashioned scream to get it out of my system, but to each their own, I guess.

I do? :confused:

I usually only get angry when getting into political arguments. Most of the time I am happy. :slight_smile:

Days I read about political happenings which disturb me make me angry, and anxious for a bit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.