Anglican Catholic Church?

Hi, my girlfriend recently attended Mass at a church titled “Anglican Catholic”. I have heard about Anglican Ordinates into the Catholic Church, I’m guessing this is one of those. Are these Churches in full communion with the Holy See, was it alright for her to receive sacraments there? Also are the Anglican Catholics considered a sui juris particular church of the Western Rite? My girlfriend said there Holy Mass was the same as the Latin Rite except the parts of the Mass were out of order and they seemed to genuflect alot.

Anglican Church, so far as i know, is not in full communion with the Holy See.

If that particular Church/parish is in the Ordinariate then it is in full communion, if not, then not.

If the parish is in the US, you can find out if it is in communion with Rome by checking the Personal Ordinariate website (ordinariate.net/parishfinder), If it is not listed there, it is most likely not a Catholic parish. If they are a part of the Ordinariate, then yes, it is ok to receive Holy Communion there. It would be a good idea from now on for your girlfriend to verify that she is indeed in a Catholic parish before receiving Holy Communion.

Protestant church.

anglicancatholic.org/

They are not in communion with Rome. They are not even in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury. A splinter group that left TECUSA in 1976 when TECUSA approved the ordination of women priests. They are part of what is called “continuing Anglicanism”.

They do recognize 7 Sacraments, yet do not adhere to the Pope’s universal shepherdship or the Mass’s sacrificial meaning. They use the 1928 Book of Common Prayer.

There are Anglican Use Ordinariate parishes which are in full communion with the Catholic Church. They are Latin rite but use a liturgy similar to the Anglican church.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ordinariate

usordinariate.org/

There are also Protestant churches that have broken with the Church of England/Episcopal Church which use the label “Anglican Catholic,” so it is important to determine which you are encountering.

It is worth noting that some of the more traditional Anglican groups consider themselves to be “Catholic” in some sense, even though the Catholic Church disagrees. One of these groups is actually called the Anglican Catholic Church (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Catholic_Church) and is certainly not in communion with the Catholic Church - this may be what your girlfriend ran into.

There are anglican use parishes, as well as parishes in the anglican ordinariate that are in communion with the Catholic Church, though.

Not Protestant, Anglican.

The Anglican Catholic Church does not sound like any of the following, which*** are ***the Catholic Church: Anglican Ordinariate of the Latin Catholic Church sui iuris:

[LIST]
*]ordinariate.org.uk/ (England and Wales, Scotland)
*]ordinariate.net/ (United States, Canada)
*]ordinariate.org.au/ (Australia, Japan)
[/LIST]

It isn’t. Did you see Post No. 6?

I think this thread has had a short life. Question answered. :slight_smile:

You sure about that, with respect to the sacrifice of the Mass?

GKC

Sounds right up my alley. I like the high church trappings but more protestant in theology. Too bad there is no AC parish near me.

The ACC is one of the more High Church/Anglo-Catholic Churches in the Anglican Continuum. As also the Anglican Provence of Christ the King, or, some what less markedly, the Anglican Church in America.

Might look around for them.

GKC

There is a continuing Anglican Church near me. A couple of them actually. And I live in the diocese of San Joaquin that splintered away. They hooked up with some bishops from Rwanda iIRC. Anyways I am a happy Lutheran. Maybe when I move again I will go anglican.

Yes. I wanted to address sui iuris.

Wouldn’t they have to be in communion with Rome to be sui iuris?

They would have to be.

I answered the second question in the original post, which answer was no, and also that the Anglican Ordinariate is part of the Latin Catholic sui iurus church.

Also are the Anglican Catholics considered a sui juris particular church of the Western Rite?

My confusion. Apologies.

Usually when there’s doubt about this sort of thing, finding out the identity of their bishop will clear things up pretty quickly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.