Anglican Church of Canada Portrays Jesus as a Recovering Racist

By John-Henry Westen OTTAWA, February 27, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In a brochure on ‘2009 Lenten Meditations’ put out by the Anglican Church of Canada (ACoC), Jesus is portrayed as a recovering racist. The brochure’s reading for March 27 is taken from Matthew 15, which relates the…

Full article…

I guess it was inevitable that liberals in the church begin to apply the same identity politics that they have used against their conservative enemies to slur even Jesus himself now.

I think the headline is overblown. Please visit the 2009 Lenten Medititations and see for your self.
pwrdf.org/fileadmin/fe/files/res_lent09_meditation.pdf.pdf

Here is the complete meditation for Friday March 27

[quote=2009 Lenten Meditation]This not a story for people who need to think that Jesus always had it together, because it looks like we’ve caught him being mean to a lady because of her ethnicity. At first, he ignores her cries. Then he refuses to help her and compares her people to dogs.

But she challenges his prejudice. And he listens to her challenge and grows in response to it. He ends up healing her daughter. What we may have here is an important moment of self-discovery in Jesus’ life, an enlargement of what it will mean to be who he was. Maybe we are seeing Jesus understand his universality for the first time.
[/quote]

The Lenten Meditation wasn’t accusing Jesus of being racist, it merely claims he had been thinking that his mission was only for the Jews, and so wanted to turn away this non-Jewish woman.

Perhaps the theology is questionable. Did Jesus fully understand his mission at an early age, or was it slowly made known to him?

This is stupid. Jesus was perfect. He wasn’t a racist. He is GOD. Political correctness gone loco. I suppose Jesus was a sexist too. And he also was a dictator like Hitler who reformed. This insults Christianity!! :eek: :bigyikes: :banghead: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

this is why the episcopalian church is shrinking and withering away. who wants to be part of a religion whose Lord is a hippie radical on his way to self realization. sounds more like a self-description of the episcopalian clergy.

I used to be an Episcopalian. Once, at a Christmas program, I had a priest ask me, “You don’t really believe that Mary was a virgin when she conceived Jesus, do you?”

My jaw almost bounced off the floor. I was so caught off guard that I said nothing; I didn’t know what to say.

Just one more reason why I converted from being Episcopal.

I don’t think that’s a question that’s even remotely up for debate. I’ll side with the lifesite news article on this one.

Having worshiped in the Anglican Church of Canada for a number of years, I can affirm your perception of the situation. It is not in the least bit difficult to find systematic diminution of the uniqueness, work, and person of Jesus among ACofC members, clergy, and senior leaders. Not all, to be sure, but it’s there, and nothing is done about it.

When it comes to being a member of the ACofC, the position of being a Christian is that it is not a requirement.

I once asked an Anglican priest, a “reverend doctor” who taught at a theological school (of sorts), “Is Jesus Christ Lord?” He went on for about 5 minutes with his answer, but never did the word “yes” pass his lips. And he forms their future clergy!, and is a favourite of their local bishop!

Blessings,

Gerry

More evidence that the Anglicans are imploding and that that “church” has become irrelevant and more of a social club worshipping at the altar of “niceness” and inclusiveness.I think we can safely say that there will never be any formal return of the Anglican Church to Catholicism other than individual fed up and put upon conservative Anglicans.Each time this increasingly silly organization floats an article like this more Anglicans will go "African"or come home.

Beware of fale prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.Matthew 7:15-17

Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh; such is the deceitful one and the antichrist." 2 John 1:7

This is pretty much how I feel, although I would have added: :crying:

The World, people, is being ruled by Idiots, and the Powers that be in the Anglican Church are no exception.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.