Anglican churches/ crucifixes

From what I've seen on youtube or on movies, I have not seen a tabernacle or a crucifix in an anglican or episcopalian church. Do they have them and if not why don't they if there churches and worship are so similar to the catholic's?

Many of the high church Anglican bodies that are outside of the Anglican communion use them, esp. Anglo-Catholics. The lower church Anglicans are more influenced by Reformed thought, which tends to forbid any images of God/Christ.

Many Episcopal churches do have crucifixes and also tabernacles. They are either what are called "high church" or Anglo Catholic parishes".

Over the last 30 years things have drastically changed in Anglican/TEC churches.

Although there are still very "low churches" who only have a cross and don't wear vestments, i.e. chasubles etc., only the bare minimum vestments, most parishes seem to appear more catholic in their attire and more of some form of a crucifix. This does not mean they are conforming to a more "Catholic" belief, actually most parishes are very liberal/progressive. The ones which are not, have left TEC or are leaving and either starting a new group/church or joining one that is already established. Others are entering the Catholic Church through the Ordinariates or as individuals.

TEC has sued so many parishes and dioceses for their property that it seems that soon TEC will have hundreds of empty buildings. Money it appears to be all they are interested in. This can apply to one Continuing group of Anglicans who have taken over a parish because it is worth a great amount financially.

Because of the above actions I don't see why anyone who leaves TEC/Anglilcan Communion would not be very weary about joining one of the many newer Anglican Continuing churches, who have no real authority in the Catholic sense and can do what they please.

There are many holy members of TEC and the Anglican groups who just can't accept that the Catholic Church is the True Church of Christ. As a former member of TEC I know that there were no doctrines that one must believe and this only brings disunity.

We need to pray for all Anglican that they may find a spiritual home.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

Bernadette, what is TEC? Also, where do they usually keep the tabernacle? I usually see choirs at the front of the church and not an alter. How does that work? Are crucifixes at the head of the church? I look for them, but I haven’t seen one, where would it be located.

I will prayer for their conversion. :slight_smile:

"TEC" stands for "The Episcopal Church." But I'll leave the other questions to someone who can answer them.

[quote="Issa87, post:4, topic:310923"]
Bernadette, what is TEC? Also, where do they usually keep the tabernacle? I usually see choirs at the front of the church and not an alter. How does that work? Are crucifixes at the head of the church? I look for them, but I haven't seen one, where would it be located.

I will prayer for their conversion. :)

[/quote]

I don't know where you live, however, I believe that in more southern states many of the parishes are considered "low church". They would probably not have chior lofts, although some Anglo Catholic parishes might not either.

The crucifix would be in the middle of the altar and the tabernacle would also be in the middle. At least that is the case when I was a member. TEC stands for"The Episcopal Church". I have only visited in Anglo Catholic parishes in the past few years and so can only speak from my experience from many years ago. I was brought up in a low parish and as a young teen found an Anglo Catholic parish as my desire from a very young age was to be Catholic and of course one must abide by their parents, so I found a parish that fulfilled my spiritual needs at the time. I am very blessed to be Catholic in the true sense and have found joy and peace within Christ's Holy Church.

God Bless

Bernadette

Some of our parishes do, and some do not. It used to be much more contentious, but I think there is a lot more apathy about it now.

Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament is fairly common in the Church of England and is not exclusively an Anglo-Catholic or High Church practice.Whilst some CofE churches reserve in a Tabernacle, an Aumbry is probably the most common method of reservation. An Aumbry is a safe built into the wall of a church next to an Altar. A white lamp or candle near the Aumbry will signify that the Blessed Sacrament is reserved. Some Anglo-Catholic churches use the reserved Sacrament for services of Benediction but the Blessed Sacrament is reserved mainly for Communion of the Sick. Some Anglican churches may reserve in Medieval fashion in a Hanging Pyx above the Altar although this is unusual. The Cathedral Church in my Anglican Diocese has a Hanging Pyx above an Altar in a side aisle. (First picture attachment).

Many Anglican churches do have Crucifixes. Here's a pic of an Anglican church in my Diocese which has a pre-Reformation style Rood Screen. (Second picture attachment).

[quote="Issa87, post:1, topic:310923"]
From what I've seen on youtube or on movies, I have not seen a tabernacle or a crucifix in an anglican or episcopalian church. Do they have them and if not why don't they if there churches and worship are so similar to the catholic's?

[/quote]

How about this one?

saintsilas.org.uk/section/122

Our local Anglican Church has both crucifixes and a tabernacle, complete with Tabernacle lamp. They kneel at the rail to receive Communion, distributed by the priest and deacon. In some ways they are more ‘catholic’ than my parish. In others, well, their priest is a woman and so is their deacon.

am only guessing and may be wrong. The church I go to is Anglican and I reckon that if you sat inside, you wouldn't actually notice if it was Roman Catholic or Anglican. A real observant Roman Catholic would because the vestments be different colours and now we no longer use the Missal. But I still like to bet that the average Roman Catholic wouldn't realise they weren't in a Roman Catholic Church. In fact we have had people begin to get concerned through the service thinking they were in an Anglican Church and was becoming all too Catholic and wondered where they were and there was actually nothing at that time to reassure them that it indeed Anglican without speaking to their friend. Some would notice very subtle differences but not most people. Easier now to spot the difference, since we don't use the Missal no more and intercessions now include our own Bishops etc that bit more rather than just the Pope. No offence you guys am glad we now back to our Queen and own church leaders on the list rather than just the Pope :thumbsup: They be your give away you were in a Church of England Anglican Church rather than Roman Catholic Church (ps if we removed the hymnbooks too :blush:)

I’ve experienced this many years ago when I accompanied my fiancé’s family to an Anglican Communion Service one Sunday then went to the Catholic Cathedral for Mass later in the day. Same hymns, same words, same vestment. For a while I wasn’t sure I hadn’t stumbled in to another Anglican church.

More recently, I attended what was supposed to be a Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ecumenical service at the local Anglican church but due to the timing of the Canadian Primate’s visit it turned out to be a Communion Service celebrated by the Primate. I had to keep reminding myself of where I was. It didn’t help when our own pastor went up to receive Communion.

[quote="englishredrose, post:11, topic:310923"]
am only guessing and may be wrong. The church I go to is Anglican and I reckon that if you sat inside, you wouldn't actually notice if it was Roman Catholic or Anglican. A real observant Roman Catholic would because the vestments be different colours and now we no longer use the Missal. But I still like to bet that the average Roman Catholic wouldn't realise they weren't in a Roman Catholic Church. In fact we have had people begin to get concerned through the service thinking they were in an Anglican Church and was becoming all too Catholic and wondered where they were and there was actually nothing at that time to reassure them that it indeed Anglican without speaking to their friend. Some would notice very subtle differences but not most people. Easier now to spot the difference, since we don't use the Missal no more and intercessions now include our own Bishops etc that bit more rather than just the Pope. No offence you guys am glad we now back to our Queen and own church leaders on the list rather than just the Pope :thumbsup: They be your give away you were in a Church of England Anglican Church rather than Roman Catholic Church (ps if we removed the hymnbooks too :blush:)

[/quote]

I have been in non Anglican churches which say prayers for Her Majesty. In fact I can barely think of a church in which this does not happen. in fact the last time I was at an RC mass they prayed for her, and even when I was at Orthodox Vespers last week they did the same, even referring to her as Our Sovereign Lady, Elizabeth.

[quote="BernadetteM, post:3, topic:310923"]
Many Episcopal churches do have crucifixes and also tabernacles. They are either what are called "high church" or Anglo Catholic parishes".

Over the last 30 years things have drastically changed in Anglican/TEC churches.

Although there are still very "low churches" who only have a cross and don't wear vestments, i.e. chasubles etc., only the bare minimum vestments, most parishes seem to appear more catholic in their attire and more of some form of a crucifix. This does not mean they are conforming to a more "Catholic" belief, actually most parishes are very liberal/progressive. The ones which are not, have left TEC or are leaving and either starting a new group/church or joining one that is already established. Others are entering the Catholic Church through the Ordinariates or as individuals.

TEC has sued so many parishes and dioceses for their property that it seems that soon TEC will have hundreds of empty buildings. Money it appears to be all they are interested in. This can apply to one Continuing group of Anglicans who have taken over a parish because it is worth a great amount financially.

Because of the above actions I don't see why anyone who leaves TEC/Anglilcan Communion would not be very weary about joining one of the many newer Anglican Continuing churches, who have no real authority in the Catholic sense and can do what they please.

There are many holy members of TEC and the Anglican groups who just can't accept that the Catholic Church is the True Church of Christ. As a former member of TEC I know that there were no doctrines that one must believe and this only brings disunity.

We need to pray for all Anglican that they may find a spiritual home.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

[/quote]

I'm wary of lots of things, myself, including Anglicans (motley crew, you know)..

Can you tell me more of this new and nefarious Continuing church?

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus

[quote="Issa87, post:1, topic:310923"]

[/quote]

Many Episcopal and CofE churches will have a Christus Rex type crucifix, and the sacrament nwill be reseverved in an aumbry built in a side wall. Those are usually not visisble from the nave but always have a sanctuary lamp hanging over them.

My fairly low-church Episcopal parish has a tabernacle and a lit candle in red glass over it. The use of tabernacles is not limited to those outside the Anglican Communion. We don’t have, to my knowledge any crucifixes, certainly none on the processional cross.

We got nothing but crucifixes. The altar one is iconic and roughly 6 feet tall.

GKC

St. Senara’s Anglican church in Zennor, Cornwall, UK:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/OraLabora/IMG_0280_zps92621e88.jpg

The nave:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/OraLabora/Stsenara1.jpg

There has been a church on this site for 1400 years. This particular building dates from the 12th century and was rebuilt in the 14th. So I guess it was once Catholic. Someone forgot to remove the side altar and crucifix :stuck_out_tongue:

OraLabora. we’re peculiar Anglicans here in Cornwall.:stuck_out_tongue: Cornwall is known as the Land of Saints as we have a proliferation of Celtic Saints who were busily traveling between Ireland, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany spreading the Gospel in the 5th and 6th centuries. The Patron Saints of Cornwall are St Petroc, St Pyran and St Michael the Archangel. As Anglicans in Cornwall we honour the Celtic Saints and use a Celtic Sanctorale in our Diocese.

The Celtic Church in Cornwall did not conform to the outcome of the Synod of Whitby of 664 but carried on with its Celtic traditions rather than adopting Roman custom. Apart from a brief period in the 9th century when the Cornish Bishop Kenstec acknowledged the authority of Ceolnoth, Archbishop of Canterbury, 833-870, it wasn’t until 930 that the English King Athelstan conquered the Cornish and brought the remnants of the Kingdom of Dumnonia under English control. The Celtic Church in Cornwall then became remodeled on Saxon/English lines. Foreshadowing the later dissolution of monasteries under Henry VIII, many celtic monastic houses were dissolved although some were reconstituted as collegiate churches as at St Michael’s Mount and St Buryan in west Cornwall. In the heyday of Cornish Celtic monasticism there were somewhere in the region of 100 monastic foundations and we still see evidence of this in Cornish place names beginning with Lan, signifying a monastic enclosure.

Anyway, as Anglicans in Cornwall we have:

reliquaries - reliquary of St Petroc, St Petroc’s Church, Bodmin

altar tombs - altar tomb of St Endelienta, St Endellion

ancient stone altars above holy wells - St Clether’s Holy Well

http://www.livingtradition.orthodoxcumbria.org/images/cornwall_east113.jpg

and crucifixes - St Petroc’s Church, Padstow. This Anglican building is shared with the local Roman Catholic congregation due to issues with the Catholic building. There is a formal church sharing agreement between the Anglican Diocese of Truro and the RC Diocese of Plymouth.

I spoke to a Hugh church priest who'd been instructed by another to make sure that,as he was celebrating at an evangelical parish, that he was to have all the left over consecrated bread and wine to himself, because apparently they were . in the habit of putting it back in the bottle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.