Anglican Confirmation valid?

I have a friend insisting that a confirmed Anglican or Episcopalian wanting to join the Catholic Church does not need to be re-confirmed. I told her that because of the lack of apostolic succession, the person is not validly confirmed, and would receive the sacrament of Confirmation after being received into the Church. Am I correct?

Indeed you are, though apparently there are cases of individual Anglican Priests having valid Orders because they’ve been ordained by Orthodox Bishops (or other similar but very rare predicaments), in the vast majority of cases Anglican Priests (indeed Anglican clergy in general) are nothing but laymen (this goes without saying about their female clergy) in robes.

yes you are correct. the baptism is valid but profession of faith, confirmation and first communion (preceded by sacramental confession) are required for them to come into full communion with the Catholic Church.

Yes, you are correct. Those orders are not recognized by the Catholic Church. They do not validly confirm.

I converted from that church in 1992. I was confirmed in the Catholic Church.

You are correct the person would not need to be re-Confirmed. They would need to be Confirmed for the first time, the Anglican or Episcopalian attempt at performing the Sacrament was ineffective.

But why though? Why is their Baptism accepted but Confirmation not? :shrug:

this is a 5 year old thread. Forum rules ask us not to resurrect old threads but instead to start new ones.

The short answer is that the ordinary minister of Confirmation is the bishop while the priest is the extraordinary minister, and lay person may not confirm. The sacrament of Confirmation requires the minister to hav valid Holy Orders to confect the sacrament.

In baptism the ordinary minister is the bishop or priest, but a lay person may confect the sacrament in extraordinary circumstances. Holy Orders are not required to validly baptize.

If I may add to that, confirmation by a priest also requires proper jurisdiction of the bishop who gives the faculties. It is debatably whether Anglican bishops who even have valid holy orders have jurisdiction as an Ordinary at all. Because of the evidence against it, any confirmation by an Anglican priest (in any situation) can generally presumed to be invalid.

Whether there are any valid Anglican bishops is a second question, especially due to the proliferation of women faux-bishops (especially in the Episcopal community).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.