Anglican leadership will force acceptance of women bishops, sources report [CWN]

Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury plans to force acceptance of female bishops even if the General Synod of the Church of England again votes down the proposal, according to a report in …

More…

Yep. Could be.

And could energize another round of converts, using Anglicanorum coetibus,

GKC

Should I feel guilty for hoping this could end with an AC parish in my city? :wink:

Edit: Which is really unlikely due to an infinitesimal amount of Anglicans as such in my area, but anyways.

The Guardian, in a clearly slanted report on the plans, argues that the Synod gives undue weight to “the old and the fanatical” and especially to “conservative evangelicals who believe the Bible forbids women to exercise authority over men.”

Well, where in the world could they have gotten that idea?

[quote=1 Timothy 2:12]I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man.
[/quote]

It’s not like it’s in the Bible or anything, right? Clearly, these people are fanatics!

Not as far as I’m concerned.

But I wouldn’t count on it. Unless you live in England. And even then, not much.

GKC

Edit: edit noted.

Yeah, I edited that in while you were replying to me :frowning:

Too bad, I would really like to be able to access their liturgy.

Can be very well done.

GKC

Anglicans are protestants. They are not validly ordained and do not possess the Truth. More and more are beginning to see this which is why they become Catholic in droves. This decision, if it happens, could be the end of the Anglican religion altogether. Ultimately all of protestantism will go this route. It will not last. It is not God’s will. Satan created protestantism. More and more protestants are seeing this with decisions like these. Their hearts genuinely seek God and in time they find Him, in His One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I doubt that. The Anglo-Catholic ghetto will continue to shrink, yes, but mostly because the old-timers all die off and no new people will replace them. The ACs should do the honest thing and go to Rome anyway.

As for us conservative evangelicals, we are quietly beavering away at winning our church back to Jesus. We don’t like women bishops either, and will not hesitate to move to another jurisdiction, but it won’t be one of the two One True Churches ™.

Are you serious? Never mind. :rolleyes:

In Genesis 3 we see what happens when the authority structure of men and women is reversed - the fall comes about precisely because Adam does not forbid his wife from going along with the serpent’s scheme. We are told (Gen. 3:6) that Adam was with his wife all along, that she never consulted him, that he never admonished her. So we have a creature ruling over woman, woman ruling over man, and of course, man attempting to exercise rule over God.

God made man and woman, both in his image, as complementary. The true complementarity of men and women is a wonderful doctrine, and is maintained in the offices of the church. We have no authority to consecrate women bishops. Women have many legitimate roles in the church, but the preaching in mixed congregations and the administration of the sacraments are not among them.

“Droves” seems to be a sort of variable number.

GKC

How can you say that anyone seeks God when the Apostle Paul makes it clear that ‘no one understands, no one seeks for God’ (Rom. 3:11)? Surely Paul is making it clear here that nobody seeks after God. Indeed, those who do seek God are already in the kingdom, i.e. they are already believers and members of the church (Matt. 7:7 - to these the Lord Jesus says, ‘seek and you shall find’.

God is the seeker, not man. Men are dead in trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1) until they are quickened by God’s grace to follow Jesus.

Good luck with that. I hope someone does it.

To do the honest thing depends on what the Anglo-Catholic might believe.

GKC

How about SaintFrancis333 claim that “Satan created Protestantism”

I can only imagine the embarrassment of other Catholics when reading such nonsense. Maybe SaintFrancis333 could read a bit more from both St Francis of Assisi or Pope Francis.

Could be.

GKC

If I was a RC I would probably believe Satan created protestantism too.

Sorry, but that is just an ignorant statement and is not the position of the Catholic Church. Yes they are Protestants and the Catholic Church does not recognize their ordinations as valid. But they possess much truth even if it is not the fullness of truth. The fact is that they held on to much which is Catholic and that means that they held on to much which is true.

Originally Posted by SaintFrancis333 View Post
Anglicans are protestants. They are not validly ordained and do not possess the Truth. More and more are beginning to see this which is why they become Catholic in droves. This decision, if it happens, could be the end of the Anglican religion altogether. Ultimately all of protestantism will go this route. It will not last. It is not God’s will. Satan created protestantism. More and more protestants are seeing this with decisions like these. Their hearts genuinely seek God and in time they find Him, in His One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church

the above ramblings are very disturbing to me -it shows no respect for others and is at best embarassing and at worse mean spirited-

Thouhgtful dialog is what is called for -attend an Episcopal or Anglican service and see if you feel the same way

better yet go to an Orthodox Church and tell them your feeling-best would be a Russain Orthodox church composed of ex cossaks -they’ll love you

as for female Bishops -in the USA did not work out very well did it-Bishop Schori and Bishop Glasspool make quite a pair

Satan is the author of division and delights each and every time a new division is created. But to say that Satan created Protestantism is going a bit far. Man is quite capable of sinning with no help from anyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.