Anglican priests who are married and become Catholic priests

Must they be celibate then? What about the marriage debt? What about the graces that God gives to strengthen the marriage through the marital embrace? Must the wife agree to a Josephite marriage?

Celibate means unmarried.

I believe you mean abstain from sex. The answer is no.

I don’t know where you got this idea. No, a married priest does not take any vows to refrain from sex, neither in the Eastern Rite Catholic Churches nor when a convert from the Anglican Communion.

the vows a priest makes include celibacy – celibacy is not having sex, not not being married – at least according to normal use and dictionary definition.

I just learned today that they may not become bishops, but nothing about restrictions on their present marriage.

While it does not deal with your topic, you might none-the-less find Fr. Longenecker’s blog interesting. He was an Anglican priest before converting.

That is correct, so long as their wife is still alive. It is the same in the Eastern Church. Note too that they may not remarry should their wife die before them.

Religious priests make vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. Religious orders do not allow married men to become priests in their orders.

Diocesan priests do not make vows. They make promises of obedience to their bishop.

Celibacy is the renunciation of the married state.

Chastity is the moderation of our sexual appetites appropriate to our state in life. For the single person, this would mean not engaging in sexual activity. For married persons chastity includes using the sexual faculties according to God’s law of the Sixth Commandments and moderating their sexual appetites.

In canon law, for the Latin Rite, marriage is an impediment to receiving Holy Orders. For those coming from the Anglican Church, this iimpediment is *dispensed *and ordination may take place. This impediment to Holy Orders does not exist in the Eastern Rite Catholic Churches.

Once ordained, a priest may not marry. Neither may a deacon remarry after the death of their spouse.

The priest only takes a vow of celibacy if he is currently unmarried. Since these men were already married, they would only have to vow to be celibate in the event of their spouse’s death. Celibacy is a discipline in the Western branch of the Catholic Church that has only been mandatory since the late eleventh century. Before then, married priests were quite common. Celibacy was enacted (universally) as a reform to help stamp out nepotism that was occurring among priestly families, and to stop family members from stealing from the collection plate to live a high lifestyle. It was part of the famed “Cluny Reform Movement”.

There are many ex-protestant pastors who have recieved dispensations to become priests, even though they are married and have not been made to be celebate. Why would the Anlican priests be any different?

And there’s the difference. Any vows or promises a priest makes are not necessarily directly translatable to Websters. :smiley: In “church talk” celibacy is giving up the option of marriage. Even in the dictionary, this is the secondary definition. Continence is not having sex.

I don’t think so. Once ordained, a man is not able to marry so no additional vow would be needed.

We’ll all be learning more as we have more married priests in the Anglican ordinariate.

Perhaps others on here can clarify this, but I’m almost positive that there is an incredibly rare provision that allows for the remarriage of a priest if his wife dies and he is left with an extremely small child.

no
as been has discussed many times, they remain validly married.
the do not however automatically become priests. They go through the process of discernment, preparation and ordination only if they are called to the priestly vocation. Depending on their background and education they may require less formal schooling of course, but it is not automatic. Should they become priests they obtain a dispensation if they are already married to remain so, and so are dispensed fro m the discipline of celibacy.

I believe that has to do with married permanent deacons.

Please refer to post #7 for an excellent clarification between vows of chastity and the discipline of celibacy.

Anglican Priests whom become Catholic follow the same rules as married DIOCESAN priests of the Eastern Churches. They would not be required to be celibate or refrain from sexual relations with their respective wives.

Celibacy is the giving up of one’s potential to MARRY, and exists only in religious orders and in the diocesan priesthood of the Roman Rite (Latin Church). As the Anglicans will be becoming their own “Ordinariate” they may perhaps one day their own “church” (In other words, Roman Rite, Anglican Church).

While I don’t have the details at hand, I can say yes, such a provision does exist, at least in the East and Orient. And yes, the circumstances when it might be used are extremely narrow and limited, which means that it’s use is incredibly rare. I’ve heard of it happening, but do not know a specific case.

No. In the East and Orient, at least, it applies to priests as well.

January 15, 2011: Fr. Keith Newton is the ordinary of:

The Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham (Anglican Rite)

irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0117/1224287679635.html

Deacons have the provision to remarry in the case of small children at home, or of elderly parents who need care. Obviously that second one applies more to come cultures than others.

While I know this is true in a technical sense, my understanding from our diocese is that such permission has to come from Rome, and it’s not something the local Ordinary can grant.

By definition not being married means you don’t have sex!

This is the Catholic definition of celebacy:

CELIBACY. The state of being unmarried and, in Church usage, of one who has never been married. Catholicism distinguishes between lay and ecclesiastical celibacy, and in both cases a person freely chooses for religious reasons to remain celibate.

Lay celibacy was practiced already in the early Church. The men were called “the continent” (continentes) and women “virgins” (virgines). They were also known as ascetics who were encouraged to follow this form of life by St. Paul. According to the Apostle, “An unmarried man can devote himself to the Lord’s affairs, all he need worry about is pleasing the Lord . . . In the same way an unmarried woman, like a young girl, can devote herself to the Lord’s affairs; all she need worry about is being holy in body and spirit” (I Corinthians 7:32, 34). Throughout history the Church has fostered a celibate life in the lay state. Towering among the means of sanctity available to the laity, declared the Second Vatican Council, “is that precious gift of divine grace given to some by the Father to devote themselves to God alone more easily with an undivided heart in virginity or celibacy. This perfect continence for love of the kingdom of heaven has always been held in high esteem by the Church as a sign and stimulus of love, and as a singular source of spiritual fertility in the world” (Constitution on the Church, 42).

Ecclesiastical celibacy was a logical development of Christ’s teaching about continence (Matthew 19:10-12). The first beginnings of religious life were seen in the self-imposed practice of celibacy among men and women who wished to devote themselves to a lifetime following Christ in the practice of the evangelical counsels. Celibacy was one of the features of the earliest hermits and a requirement of the first monastic foundations under St. Pachomius (c. 290-346). Over the centuries religious celibacy has been the subject of the Church’s frequent legislation. The Second Vatican Council named chastity first among the evangelical counsels to be practiced by religious and said that “it is a special symbol of heavenly benefits, and for religious it is a most effective means of dedicating themselves wholeheartedly to the divine service and the works of the apostolate” (Decree on the Up-to-date Renewal of Religious Life, 12). (Etym. Latin caelibatus, single life, celibacy.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.