Anglican Province of Christ the King

I was wondering if any Continuing Anglicans or anyone else for that matter would know if the APCK is in communion with ANY other Continuing Anglican communions?

I have two reliable sources on this matter claiming both yay and nay.

I am not a reliable source in this matter. But the APCK has been in formal communion with a shifting variety of other Continuum jurisdictions, over the years. I would be surprised if they are not in communion with some still, but not astonished.

GKC

Not sure as well. Just curious, you are in Canada and joining RCIA. What prompted the question?

I actually should remove the RCIA tag, as that venture (for now anyway) is over, thank you for reminding me!

I asked the question because funnily the ACPK has one (1) parish on the west coast of Canada.

They are in communion with the Anglican Catholic Church and the United Episcopal Church North America.

I believe they can share clergy and are working toward unity.

This is what I heard, the last time I heard anything on it.

Generally, even if not in full communion, Continuing Anglican Communion jurisdictions recognize the validity of each others’ orders. ACA, APCK, ACC and a couple of other jurisdictions have worshiped in my parish, and an ACA priest occasionally fill-in as celebrant.

GKC

Is the Anglican Province of America part of this, as well? There is a local Anglican parish that has moved from TAC to ACA to APA.

anglicanprovince.org/en-us/about_us/

Jon

It’s called the Continuum quick step.

TAC and ACA are, technically, the same jurisdiction, It’s complicated.

I don’t know about the APA. I lost track of all that long ago. But it’s in the Continuum.

GKC

Added: And I forgot to list APA among those jurisdictions that have worshiped at my parish.

GKC

:eek: Arrgghh…I am confused with all this Continuum thingy…is the Continuum in Star Trek or Star Wars…:stuck_out_tongue:

That Continuum is in Star Trek.

I rode in an elevator with Q, once.

GKC

Mon Capitan!

The continuum is somewhat akin to Catholicisms SSPX. Just much less unified…

Not sure I’d go with the SSPX comparison, but less unified is apt. A many splintered thing, the Continuum.

GKC

SSPX reference due to the belief they are “holding the faith” that the main body had walked from with more liberal interpretations and practice. Certainly not a perfect analogy, but in as much as they acknowledged the separation, are mostly not in communion with Canterbury and if you spend a few minutes speaking with them you will hear of the heresy of their former group. Oh and lest I forget, holding to the 1928 as steadfastly as the Latin form…

As you said, splintered rather than united.

Fair enough.

GKC

Jon,

The Anglican Providence of America, APA, is in communion with the Reformed Episcopal Church, Anglican Church in America and flirts around with the Anglican Church in North America.

APA I have seen is very Anglo-Catholic in theology. Always thought it odd they were not in communionn with the Anglican Catholic Church.

The Reformed Episcopal Church is a founding jurisdictions of the Anglican Church in North America.

REC left in the 19th Century, ACA and APA in the 80’s over the Episcopal Church total abandonment of scripture, tradition and reason.

As GKC said, the parishes in the contiuning movement bounce around from jurisdiction to jurisdiction to much.

It’s a tough time for Anglicans right now.

I was Confirmed in a conservative Anglo-Catholic Episcopal Parish in a large city. Last year, I moved to a small town in another state. There are only two Anglican Churches here. One is a very liberal Episcopal Church, and the other is a mission church of the Anglican Church of North America and is part of the Reformed Episcopal Church Diocese of the Central States. --lovely congregation, but so very Protestant.

This is the long way of saying there are many reasons behind some of the “bouncing.” This Anglican feels a bit lost to tell you the truth.

Anna

You have to go back to the 70’s when the ‘Big-Split’ happened and trace it from there.

I’ve said it a few times on here, and will say it again…

The Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC) is the largest and with a college of bishops, the most authoritive in matters of faith and morals as concerns orthodox doctrine.

Although many of the smaller bodies (APCK being one of them) have held on to orthodox doctrine as far as I know, they are scattered and often only have one or a few bishops presiding over their diocese and parishes. Hopefully they will come into the fold (the way things are looking, it is only a matter of time for many of them).

There are many who guise themselves in traditional Anglican liturgy and garb, yet who ordain and continue to ordain women, and thus opening the floodgates for every other danger and heresy to come through.

And the Roman Catholic apologists are absolutely correct in asserting that Anglicans who have abandoned the Deposit of Faith yet continue with liturgical pleasantries are indeed engaging in nothing more than ‘smells and bells’. For shame…the lot of them.

I’ve had to go back to the St. Louis Congress of Concerned Churchmen, several times to explain it.

The TAC is an international communion of independent Continuing jurisdictions formed in 1991, as an analog of the Anglican Communion. The primary motivator in doing this was the Anglican Catholic Church (ACC), in this country, led by Louis Falk. There followed a typical Continuing hassle that resulted in the Anglican Church in America breaking off from the ACC, and the ACA is the representative jurisdiction of the TAC in the US. It’s all very complicated and there’s a book on the period, DIVIDED WE STAND/Bass, which helps, a little.

The APCK, like the ACC which initiated the formation of the TAC, was originally a part of the first group of Continuing Anglicans which organized out of the St. Louis Congress (sometimes then known as the Anglican Church of North America, which fact is more confusing than helpful these days; then renamed as the ACC). Falk was consecrated by, among others, + James Mote, who had been one of the original 4 bishops consecrated by +Chambers. So was Morse, who long led the APCK.

Complicated, and murky.

GKC

Complicated indeed to the point of frustration. I honestly don’t blame those faithful who leave for Rome (or the Orthodox Church for that matter) in despair and frustration. As I’ve said before, I myself was just about convinced to do as much.

Alas, Our Lord had other plans for me. St. Mark 13:13 spoke very strongly to me in this regard. Albeit I am interpreting that quote out of context.

Sensus Fidelium and all that you see…

As concerning the myriad of continuum jurisdictions…I probably come across as some sort of ecclesial cheerleader, or worse, the dreaded ‘poacher’. I regret this, and apologize to anyone whom I may have offended.

I have had the great pleasure of sharing dinner with Archbishop James Provence (head of the APCK) whom I’m sure your familiar with. A man imbued with the Holy Spirit who’s clear mindedness, fairness, etc I could only hope to emulate someday.

Are you familiar with Archbishop Shane Janzen? I have the pleasure of studying under him (in the hopes of becoming a postulant in the future), he is a former Basilian, so he knows the ‘ropes’ as concerning Catholic theology. If you ever make your way to the west coast of Canada, stop by St. John’s the Evangelist Cathedral Church on a Sunday for Holy Communion!

I only keep plugging the TAC as it seems (in my opinion anyway) the correct course, in light of Orthodox Christian tradition to organize the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.