Anglican & Puritan slave trade: Irish shipped abroad as slaves.

raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1638

I had no idea that the Irish, apart from being starved to death as they paid foodstuffs as rents to English landlords, were enslaved by Elizabeth I; and Puritans under Oliver Cromwell. Was slavery incorporated into Anglican and Puritan theology or was this simply expedience, with the military tactician Cromwell refining the process of ridding Ireland of their Catholic foes?

This needs verification from other sources. Otherwise it would be just one man’s opinion and a myth.

It is no secret that prisoners were sold as indentured servants (the workhouses of English cities provided a big share in this traffic) and that when the first African slaves were purchased in the colonies they had to be kept with the indentured servants, so mixing in other ways among them should not be a surprise.

My own family (as I am told) lived in Barbados and eventually settled in Virginia, so I was interested in that mention, but I don’t think in their cases the circumstances were nearly so dire. For one thing they could not have reached Virginia on their own if they were still indentured or had the status of slaves.

If there were cases of enslavement of Irish, it probably was a ‘life in prison’ conviction, and this had happened to Welsh and English too.

And Scots. Lots of Scots, particularly Jacobites after the revolution failed.

Have you ever seen the movie or read the book called Captain Blood? Bunch of English villagers that joined a rebellion, sentenced to be transported to work the sugar cane plantations?

White indentured servant does not equal African slave.

Very sad piece of early Irish History in America! *
Inspirational in terms of faith and even insights into change in
our** day!*
How Dagger John Saved New York’s Irish
William J. Stern
Recognized as a born leader from his early seminary days, he first came to prominence in Philadelphia as an eloquent and courageous crusader against bigotry. Between 1820 and 1830, immigration had swelled the U.S. Catholic population 60 percent to 600,000, with no end in sight. The new immigrants were mostly Irish—impoverished, ignorant, unskilled country folk, with nothing in their experience to prepare them for success in the urban environs to which they were flocking. Hughes believed that the relentless barrage of anti-Catholic prejudice that greeted them in their new land was demoralizing the already* disadvantaged** immigrants and holding back their progress.*

The “nativists,” as the* highly organized anti-Catholics** were called, included Protestant fundamentalists who saw the Catholic Church as the** handiwork** of Satan and superstition, intellectuals who** considered Catholicism incompatible** with democracy, ethnocentric cultural purists who believed the United States should be a land for Anglo-Saxons, and pragmatic citizens who thought it** not worth** the trouble to integrate so many culturally different immigrants. The nativists counted among their number many of America’s elite, including John Jay, John Quincy Adams, John Calhoun, Stephen Douglas, and P. T. Barnum, all of whom spoke** publicly** against the Catholic Church and the** threat** to** liberty** that allowing Catholics into the country** would create**. In Boston a** mob** led by Congregationalist minister Lyman Beecher, the father of Harriet Beecher Stowe, burned a convent to the ground; church burnings were common. Samuel Morse tapped out rumors of Catholic conspiracies against liberty on his Atlantic cable long before such trash circulated on the Internet. Books depicting concupiscence in convents and sex in** seminaries** were everywhere.*
[/FONT]***[FONT=Palatino Linotype]http://www.city-journal.org/html/7_2_a2.html*** :irish2:

Interesting Article.

The African slave rebellion in New York was triggered by poor Irish who were offering to take less than slave wages; so even the status of “free” Irish later in American history found them below African slaves.

ieonline.microsoft.com/#ieslice

This article covers those few Irish traders of African slaves. The general population of Irish “indentured servants,” half of whom never were released, rebelled on sugar plantations on occasion, and were slowly burned alive. Working on the docks, bales of cotton were thrown down by valuable African slaves onto awaiting Irish slaves, who were expendable if they got their backs broken. I hope the Wild Geese Irish population in America will, as the Irish saved civilization in Europe, deliver us from the unconstitutional depradations that abound and insure our freedom, please God.

A large portion of my family was deported to the Americas after the Forty-Five (which wasn’t a revolution, it was a dynastic conflict), however they certainly weren’t slaves. They were of high enough social position to fight as United Empire Loyalists just thirty years later.

The English workhouses, which many of the Irish famine refugees were forced into, were also pretty much slavery as well.

There was no famine, a famine in which more food is been shipped out of the country than is been consumed within it is a manifestly odd one. The ‘Famine’ was a providential event which allowed member of the political elite of the United Kingdom to rid themselves in large numbers of a troublesome people whose population had grown ever larger over the previous few decades.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.