Anglicans/Episcopalians drawn to the Catholic aspect of our faith

Hi there! I have been a member of the Episcopal Church for a few years now, and fell deeply in love with the liturgical tradition of the church. Growing up in a very Evangelical part of the US, the Episcopal Church was the first place I had ever worshiped in this way, learned about the sacraments, etc. I love my church, church family and what it has done to add depth to my life.
I’ve noticed, however, that I am drawn to the more ‘Catholic’ aspect of our ‘catholic yet reformed’ faith, and that is why I do enjoy reading the forums here, and was wondering if there were others here in the same boat? I have a feeling I can’t be the ONLY one!

Just about anyone identifying as Anglo-Catholic is likely to share your feelings, on that point.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus

Before I became Catholic, I felt very much as you feel. Plus, I listened to much of what the Holy Father said although I didn’t obey. Everything was fine with the Catholic Church (I thought the mass was always celebrated in the EF) but it was obedience that I realized I was missing. That’s why I converted.

I greatly enjoy reading and learning from our non Catholic friends on the forums. I have learned a lot about the Anglo Catholic faith from reading this forum and those kind enough to share their faith with us.

God bless,

Mary.

I certainly was drawn to the Catholic Church. My Dad is a retired Episcopal Priest and when I finally converted, I did so with my Dad’s blessing.

:popcorn:

Interested in the responses.

I think one of the questions-for-the-ages is whether someone can be “Catholic” without being ICWR (In Communion With Rome).

No offense. :o :slight_smile:

None taken, personally.

GKC

Many would say " yes" ( including some learned theologians in my own church, who would call themselves Evangelical Catholics) and many others would say " no." :shrug: I remember reading somewhere a rather incredible name: The Greek Catholic Russian Orthodox Church. I’m still trying to wrap my head around *that *one.

Well, we do say the Nicene Creed each week in which we declare our belief in the Holy Catholic Church :slight_smile:

That would be ‘catholic’ with a lower c not ‘Catholic’ with a capital C.

It appears as "we believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic church”.

The term ‘catholic’ means universal, united and does not refer to the Catholic Church per se.

No, if hally23 uses the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, it’s Catholic.

And the question of whether anyone not in communion with Rome can use Catholic, as opposed to catholic, complete with the distinction as to the meaning of universal, is often explored here. Seems there was a couple of threads on the topic just recently. Opinion is mixed, as you can discover. Some folks use Catholic, in referring to themselves, or their Church, that other folks think do so inappropriately. Unlikely to be a consensus arrived at on the subject here. And unlikely anyone is going to be able to compel anyone to acquiesce in complying with their views on the matter.

Life is like that, in many ways.

GKC

Hally is talking about the Nicene Creed/Apostles Creed. All the versions I have seen for Anglicans have catholic as in:

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins

You will get more of that ‘Catholic aspect’ in the Catholic Church. :wink: You can explore the possibility of one if you want to.

God bless.

Reuben

Complicated? Yes it is. :blush:

All the more when we add in the issue of capitalizing “Protestant”.

Oh, I very rarely do that, save in a name, say, of a particular Church, as they might style themselves

Don’t mind if others do, though.

GKC

Which is why I specified the 1928 BCP, as used in many traditional Anglican or Episcopal churches/parishes, in the US. The same would be true for a number of Prayer-Books, over the years, including the 1662 authorized edition, of the CoE, for example. Or Rite I, in the 2nd version, of the 1979 book, currently widely employed in the Episcopal world. Catholic. As with many points in the Anglican melange, the form is motley; sometimes yes, sometimes no.

But the point, in the threads/discussions I mentioned, goes rather beyond that, to who may or might refer to themselves as Catholic. A disputatious point, that.

GKC

In principle, I too write “protestant” (except in proper names) … But in practice I tend to be lazy and write “Protestant” (lazy both in the sense that it saves me from always explaining to people, and because my tablet ‘prefers’ Protestant).

I brook no nonsense from electronic servants.

GKC

Well, they’re so unionized.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.