Anglicans Face Difficult Summit

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6360061.stm

One of the rumors, although I doubt that it will happen, is that the Anglican Communion might approve a “two province” solution for North America. Roughly speaking, those in the “liberal” camp would remain in the Episcopal Church while those in the “conservative” camp would be in the new province. This would be contrary to the general rule in Anglicanism that, with some minor exceptions, recognizes just one Anglican authority within each nation.

The makeup of the Anglican Church around the world is shown in the following link.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/3226753.stm

Seriously, do you think it makes that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things? I’m not joking, I seriously want your opinion on this.

It certainly makes a difference to Anglicans…so, yes.

As a Continuing Anglican, I find the situation of interest, but not of concern.

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus

The devil’s in the details, especially with respect to how such a hypothetical second province might deal with the issue of women’s ordination and other theological distinctions between Anglo-Catholics and Episcopal Evangelicals. Nonetheless, you do not see any real possibility that the Continuum would join with, or enter into communion with, such a second province?

Highly unlikely, in the main. The problem is in the term you used: communion. It was a similar problem with the hyped (but never to be) third province in the CoE. To join such a group would be to put yourself in communion with those who put collars on females, and all that syndrome. That means that Canterbury is Coventry, so to speak; no chance of establishing communion with the Anglican Communion. Most Continuers would not really be interested in re-polluting the well.

There is also the Evangelical-AC division, as you say. Few Continuers are interested in restablishing the Elizabethan Compromise, from either side.

The above represents personal opinion, based on some things I hear over coffee after Mass.

GKC

It’s actually too bad in some ways. If Anglicans, those famed practioners of the *via media *cannot end divisions within our own midsts, then what hope is there for a greater Christian unity this side of paradise?

Hard to compromise on the validity of Orders. But, still, that’s a good question, broadly speaking.

GKC

Some updates from the meeting in Tanzania:

titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=17773

livingchurch.org/publishertlc/viewarticle.asp?ID=3079

A number of the African and other bishops refuse to share in the Eucharist with the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. Statement issued:

virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5534

Discouraging comments:

"Of course there are always silly American blogger theologians, some conservative, who make statements like, “the situation is redeemable but the archbishops are moving close to the brink” - sheer double speak. For how many years have people said: “wait for the next meeting of Primates. There will be a bombshell”? Is this more of the same? More “listening”? Meanwhile, the persecution of the orthodox continues.

The situation is not redeemable, the Communion is doing what it always does - limp along with more “conversation”, more “covenants”, endless “listening” and the new antidote to absolute decision making; “hermeneutics” - the science of contextualizing sodomy. This is living proof that sodomy is an abomination the Anglican Communion can apparently live with; it is merely an anathema, hardly a communion breaker."

virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5533

Why am I not surprised.

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus

I’m tired of waiting, which is one reason why we left the Episcopal Church.

Where do you go now?
If you do not mind answering please.
BH

I feel bad for my family and friends that are still in the Episcopal Church… only SEVEN Primates refused communion with PB Schiori?

Things look really bad for the faithful remnant in TEC. :frowning:

I’m treading water at a LCMS Church. Fine church, great people, fantastic teaching but not Anglican.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.