Anglicans, in which of the 5 Solas of the Protestant Reformation do you believe?

Anglicans, in which of the 5 Solas of the Protestant Reformation do you believe?

If you would, please take the poll and then explain your answers. :)

1. Sola fide ("by faith alone")
  2. Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone")
  3. Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone") 4 Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
  4. Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")

While all are welcome to post on this thread, please only answer the Poll if you are Anglican. I'm really interested in what my fellow Anglicans believe.

Thank you so much! I look forward to your comments.

Anna

[quote="Anna_Scott, post:1, topic:287724"]

3. Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone") 4 Sola gratia ("by grace alone")

While all are welcome to post on this thread, please only answer the Poll if you are Anglican. I'm really interested in what my fellow Anglicans believe.

Anna

[/quote]

The following affirms all the Five Solas from the Anglican perspective. :)

1 ) The Principles Of Theology An Introduction To The Thirty-Nine Articles by Dr. W.H. Griffth Thomas

2 ) Introduction To Dogmatic Theology On The Basis Of The Thirty-Nine Articles ( 1912 ) by E.A. Litton.

I’m Episcopal (TEC) and Lutheran (ELCA). My Anglo-Catholic church has both affiliations.

I voted for 4 of the 5, leaving out Sola Scriptura. I’m more a* Prima Scriptura* person, in a Wesleyan Quadrilateral kind of way.

[quote="Chafer_DTS, post:2, topic:287724"]
The following affirms all the Five Solas from the Anglican perspective. :)

1 ) The Principles Of Theology An Introduction To The Thirty-Nine Articles by Dr. W.H. Griffth Thomas

2 ) Introduction To Dogmatic Theology On The Basis Of The Thirty-Nine Articles ( 1912 ) by E.A. Litton.

[/quote]

Chafer,

Thanks for voting and for the resources.
Anna

[quote="Izdaari, post:3, topic:287724"]
I'm Episcopal (TEC) and Lutheran (ELCA). My Anglo-Catholic church has both affiliations.

I voted for 4 of the 5, leaving out Sola Scriptura. I'm more a* Prima Scriptura* person, in a Wesleyan Quadrilateral kind of way.

[/quote]

Izdaari,
Thank you for voting and weighing in.

Sola Scriptura is probably one of the most confusing Sola for many reasons.

Anna

Hoping more Anglicans will take the poll and comment. :wave:

Anna

[quote="Anna_Scott, post:5, topic:287724"]
Izdaari,
Thank you for voting and weighing in.

Sola Scriptura is probably one of the most confusing Sola for many reasons.

Anna

[/quote]

Are you equally confused by the role that Scripture has always had in Judaism? I ask because it's so similar. Not exactly the same in every way, of course, but it's by far the closest point of comparison.

[quote="Sixpence, post:7, topic:287724"]
Are you equally confused by the role that Scripture has always had in Judaism? I ask because it's so similar. Not exactly the same in every way, of course, but it's by far the closest point of comparison.

[/quote]

Sixpence,
That subject is a tall order and needs a thread of its own. You could start one. :) It would be interesting to see what our Jewish forum members have to say.

Anna

[quote="Anna_Scott, post:8, topic:287724"]
Sixpence,
That subject is a tall order and needs a thread of its own. You could start one. :) It would be interesting to see what our Jewish forum members have to say.

Anna

[/quote]

I'm sure they would be in more of a position to explain the role of Scripture and of the Mishnah in Judaism than you or I would. My question to you, though, is whether your current understanding of Scripture's role within Judaism is something that confuses you in ways that are comparable to what SS does for you.

[quote="Sixpence, post:9, topic:287724"]
I'm sure they would be in more of a position to explain the role of Scripture and of the Mishnah in Judaism than you or I would. My question to you, though, is whether your current understanding of Scripture's role within Judaism is something that confuses you in ways that are comparable to what SS does for you.

[/quote]

Sixpence,
I don't actually claim "Sola Scriptura." It is a confusing term that means different things to different Christians.

Some see Sola Scriptura as Scripture alone with no regard for Tradition--"It's just Jesus, the Bible, and me."

Others see it as Scripture containing all things necessary for salvation, but interpreted through the Tradition of the Church.

So, I really can't compare Sola Scriptura to the Jewish view of interpretation.

Peace,
Anna

3. Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone")
  4. Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
  5. Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")

Anna

While I believe in Sola Scriptura my understanding is more akin to Prima Scriptura, as I do not throw out Tradition or the understanding of the historic church. Too many evangelicals believe in Solo Scriptura and think that they can ignore the teachings of the historic church.

[quote="cajunhillbilly, post:12, topic:287724"]
While I believe in Sola Scriptura my understanding is more akin to Prima Scriptura, as I do not throw out Tradition or the understanding of the historic church. Too many evangelicals believe in Solo Scriptura and think that they can ignore the teachings of the historic church.

[/quote]

Cajun,
Thanks for voting and commenting. I think Sola Scriptura is the most confusing, because it means different things to different people. Prima Scriptura is really more consistent with Anglicanism, as we do value Tradition and the Early Church in interpretation of Scripture.

It's one thing to believe that Holy Scripture contains all things necessary for salvation; it is quite another to say that "It's just Jesus, the Bible, and me." I think that is the Solo Scriptura view, but many call this Sola Scriptura. Very confusing phrase among different faiths, and even among Anglicans.

Anna

[quote="Anna_Scott, post:1, topic:287724"]

Anna

[/quote]

I don't believe in an of them in any sense that divides Protestants from other Christians.

the last three are, on the face of them, impeccably orthodox, though Protestants typically put a sectarian spin on them. Therefore I answered that I believed in them--but I do not interpret them as dogmatic Protestants do. (Solo Christo, for instance, as I understand it, excludes none of the means of grace promoted in Catholicism, since all of these derive from and lead back to Christ.)

The first two are most obviously interpreted in a schismatic and unorthodox sense, so I reject them. But all five are vague slogans that may be interpreted in either orthodox or unorthodox senses. I find the obsession of some Protestants with these sonorous phrases extremely frustrating.

Edwin

[quote="Contarini, post:14, topic:287724"]
I don't believe in an of them in any sense that divides Protestants from other Christians.

the last three are, on the face of them, impeccably orthodox, though Protestants typically put a sectarian spin on them. Therefore I answered that I believed in them--but I do not interpret them as dogmatic Protestants do. (Solo Christo, for instance, as I understand it, excludes none of the means of grace promoted in Catholicism, since all of these derive from and lead back to Christ.)

The first two are most obviously interpreted in a schismatic and unorthodox sense, so I reject them. But all five are vague slogans that may be interpreted in either orthodox or unorthodox senses. I find the obsession of some Protestants with these sonorous phrases extremely frustrating.

Edwin

[/quote]

This is precisely why I had not replied.

And I knew Contarini would say it better.

GKC

sorry, I havent voted because my option of vote aint there.

I personally haven't a clue about any of the Solas and only know about Sola Scripture from what I've seen online and personally don't read into it or anything so to vote on any of the categories would be false impression.

The word Solas of any definition has never ever been mentioned in the church I go to in all 25 years or more of going so I am not sure it really has anything specifically to do with being Anglican. And I wont be asking my priest about them either because whilst he my well be able to talk at length about any of them it would just complicate where I am with my faith and religion and right now I don't need that.

So, sorry, its not that I've not voted. Its that either through niaviety of the Anglican Church or that in our church at least they bear no relevance to us so actually don't know anything about any of them and have always refused to enter any online discussions on it because I don't know enough to even begin enterring a discussion.:blush:

[quote="englishredrose, post:16, topic:287724"]
sorry, I havent voted because my option of vote aint there.

I personally haven't a clue about any of the Solas and only know about Sola Scripture from what I've seen online and personally don't read into it or anything so to vote on any of the categories would be false impression.

The word Solas of any definition has never ever been mentioned in the church I go to in all 25 years or more of going so I am not sure it really has anything specifically to do with being Anglican. And I wont be asking my priest about them either because whilst he my well be able to talk at length about any of them it would just complicate where I am with my faith and religion and right now I don't need that.

So, sorry, its not that I've not voted. Its that either through niaviety of the Anglican Church or that in our church at least they bear no relevance to us so actually don't know anything about any of them and have always refused to enter any online discussions on it because I don't know enough to even begin enterring a discussion.:blush:

[/quote]

englishredrose,

I understand.

I actually define my faith without using the "Sola" terminology; and that is what the authors of the 39 Articles and Anglican Catechism did as well, even with the influence of Protestantism at the time the articles were created. (I don't accept all the 39 Articles, just as a side note.)

So, no worries. I really appreciate your comments. They were actually quite helpful. :)

Anna

Edwin

[/quote]

Thank you Ewin. Very insightful.

Where were you when I was getting pounded over the Sola Scriptura issue on AF? :blackeye: lol

Anna

[quote="GKC, post:15, topic:287724"]
This is precisely why I had not replied.

And I knew Contarini would say it better.

GKC

[/quote]

GKC, my fellow "motley" Anglican,

Appears you are in agreement with Edwin. Do you have anything to add?

Anna

The first two are most obviously interpreted in a schismatic and unorthodox sense, so I reject them. But all five are vague slogans that may be interpreted either orthodox or unorthodox senses. I find the obsession of some Protestants with these sonorous phrases extremely frustrating.

[/quote]

I echo Contarini's and GKC's sentiments. I find them rather vague and open to interpretation. After much thought I've voted that I do not believe in any of the 5 Solas.

[quote="englishredrose, post:16, topic:287724"]

[/quote]

Englishrose, I too cannot recall the Solas being mentioned in church. I'm a cradle Anglican with around 40 years of church going. Admittedly, I was brought up in a moderately Anglo-Catholic tradition within the CofE. The situation in the more Protestant wing of the CofE may be different but I've not had any first hand experience.

Will Anna's next Poll be 'Which of the 39 Articles do you believe in?':p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.