Anglicans: What are your beliefs about the Blessed Virgin Mary?

I have encountered some sharp disagreements among Anglicans regarding the Blessed Virgin Mary.

So, Anglicans: What are your beliefs about the Blessed Virgin Mary?

Please feel free to pick and choose one or more issues from this list or add some of your own for discussion:

Mary as Theotokos or Mother of God‎
Perpetual Virginity
Assumption
Immaculate Conception
Mediatrix
Co-Redemptrix
Her Place within the Communion of Saints
Requests for Her Intercession
Veneration
Other Beliefs/Doctrines

I look forward to your responses.

Peace and blessings,
Anna

Yes, Yes, Yes, Probably Not, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe.

GKC

Personally?

Yes, Maybe, Maybe, Maybe, No, No, Yes, Yes, Maybe, Maybe.

Have you really encountered Anglicans disagreeing sharply about these? I would think they’d just agree to disagree and go hit coffee hour together.

So you do not believe in Mary as mediatrix, coredemptrix but you might believe in other doctrines. Correct?:slight_smile:

Hmm. I miscounted somehow. Let’s do it again.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Probably Not, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe.

The No is Co-Redemptrix.

Ask again, if this changes your question.

GKC

No you are in 80% agreement and 20% non-agreement.:slight_smile:

Potentially, and Mediatrix is subject to fine-tuning…

But there is that unknown “Maybe”.

GKC

Well then you are in agreement with 80% and maybe in agreement with 20% which means that all things being equal 80% may fluctuate depending on the time of day, the day of the week, or other factors not known.:slight_smile:

Or, on fine-tuning Mediatrix, as I added, after you had replied.

GKC

Growing up Anglican, very little emphasis was placed on the Mother of God.

Anglicans tend to very. Many Anglicans are basically just Roman Catholics without a Pope. Other Anglicans are basically just Evangelicals with bishops. I’ve met other Anglicans who are, for all intents and purposes, “Western Orthodox not in communion with Constantinople”. I’ve met Anglicans whose “personal beliefs” were hardly recognisable as Christian. I’ve met Anglicans who don’t believe in the Virgin Birth, Jesus’ personal sinlessness, Jesus’ literal resurrection, Jesus’ celibacy, etc. I’ve also met Anglicans are almost orthodox in every way accept the Papacy and they have Eucharistic Adoration, pray the Rosary, have Vespers, etc. I’ve met Anglicans who’re “papist” in that they agree that the Patriarch of the West should have universal jurisdiction… but who don’t believe in Vatican I and the infallibility issue. I’ve met Anglicans who’re clappy and charismatic and I’ve met Anglicans who love traditional liturgy.

Anglicans are a very diverse bunch. They’re often unfairly pigeon-holed into “Protestant” or “Catholic” and each Anglican and each parish should really be handled on a case-by-case basis if we’re to have meaningful dialogue. We can’t assume Anglicans all believe the same thing or all condemn the same thing.

Yep.

I need to ask Anna what is that phrase that applies. I’m sure there is one.

GKC

I don’t understand the divisions but there are High church, broad church and low church and Anglo-Catholic. So it would seem that you may be encountering people from many of these diverse groups that call themselves Anglican.

The divisions are all labels of convenience, and indicate what an individual may be likely to believe.

There is no official membership in any of the divisions, and while views within an area may be less diverse, they will still be diverse.

Does that statement encompass the Anglican Church in general? I would assume the Blessed Virgin is part of all the Eucharistic Liturgys just as in the EO?

If someone has a copy I would like to see it.

Just google “Book of Common Prayer.”

Then pick one: 1928, 1979.

Some parishes will use the Missal, some won’t. It varies.

GKC

GKC,
Well. . .O.K. If you insist: “motley crew.” :wink:

That’s it.

Many thanks.

GKC

I would have to say I believe these for sure:

Mary as Theotokos or Mother of God‎
Perpetual Virginity
Her Place within the Communion of Saints
Requests for Her Intercession

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.