Anglicans.

In England the Anglican church is called the “Church of England”, but is it called that in America too? :shrug:

A complicated simple question.

In America, the Anglican church that is a portion of the official Anglican Communion (is in official communion with the Church of England and other Anglican jurisductions around the world, in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury) is called the Episcopal Church.

After that, it gets complicated.

GKC

In the USA, the main body that is in full regular communion with the Abp. of Canterbury is called The Episcopal Church (formerly, “Episcopal Church in the United States of America,” before that “Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America”).

There are also various “continuing Anglican” groups that have sprouted, especially since 1976, when the ordination of women as priests and bishops was allowed. Trying to keep up with them as the form, splinter, merge, and re-form is like trying to pick up spilled mercury or nail Jello to the wall.

But what does it say on the sign out side the church? Does it say Church of England?

:rotfl:

No. It would say the Episcopal Church. If it is an Episcopal Church, and not one of the other Anglican churches not in communion with Canterbury. The Church of England is a particular church, separate and distinct from the 38 other Anglican churches (including the Episcopal Church) which make up the official Worldwide Anglican Communion.

It is, as I said, complicated.

GKC

And then there are those Anglican churches not officially “continuing”, such as those who formed the Anglican Church in North America, last June.

Complex and amusing.

GKC

lol. :smiley:

Our Anglican parish here reads: “The Anglican Church welcomes you” and the title on the front says, “St. Paul’s Anglican Church, a Church in the Diocese of San Joaquin, part of the Anglican Diocese of the Southern Cone of Argentina”

Then there is a bunch of Episcopalians meeting in the local Jewish synagogue, before that the cafeteria at an elementary school. The way the Episcopal Church has sued the pants off Anglicans for the past few years, I have little sympathy.

Sued them? What for?

Apparently you haven’t followed the drama in the Episcopal Church here in the States. Several dioceses and parishes wanted to break off from the Episcopal Church and form their own new province. When they did, the TEC sued the parishes for their church property claiming that TEC is a hierarchical church (which is bull) and that they own the property, not the parishes themselves. They have spent millions in legal fees attacking these conservatives and have been quite nasty. Many Anglicans have been out on their ear, lost their properties, and have had to worship in elementary school cafeterias or other denominations’ churches or at rotary club buildings, etc. Sad stuff. TEC thinks they can sue people into joining them evidently. Their numbers are declining, they’re going broke, and their congregations are generally made up of old-timers dating back to Methuselah. They’re dying on the vine for their heretical beliefs and the way they treat people. But hey, what do you expect when you have a MARINE BIOLOGIST feminist hippie with an agenda like Schiori for “presiding bishop?” She’s taken this first among equals role and has transformed it into the executive branch with unprecedented powers that aren’t even in their constitutions. She’s a few cans short for sure…:mad:

Oh my… this reminds me of exactly why I am becoming catholic! :frowning:

Anyone have any experience with these folks?

anglicancatholic.org/index.php

Yes. Those folks are part of the Continuing Anglicans, mentioned in posts # 3 and # 7 above, who left the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion, around 30 years ago, over liturgical issues, and women’s ordination.

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus

What I find so strange about these property issues is that the church hierarchy seems so intent on closing churches in many cases. If they take a positive attitude, then they could see this as a great opportunity!

But I suspect that in fact, many of the parishes leaving are actually quite active, and so wealthy. But if they have voted to leave, I suspect many of the more active people are the ones who will no longer be attending.

Really, to my mind, as a Christian, if I were in such a parish on either side, it would seem to be the right thing to work out some kind of fair arrangement that takes into the consideration the fact that both groups consider the building home.

Fair disclosure:

We catholics aren’t always all milk, honey and brotherly love either. It’s that pesky Original Sin thing. It’s almost like we are incapable of getting along without divine intervention… :wink:

…Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.