Animal Guides?

I was wondering if it is against Catholocism to have spirit guides, like animals and stuff. I was kinda heading that way, thinking I have a spirit guide, but not seances or Wicca, etc. I need to know if this is wrong and if I need to stop myself. :eek:
Thanks and God Bless.

[quote="Wolfheart101, post:1, topic:178045"]
I was wondering if it is against Catholocism to have spirit guides, like animals and stuff. I was kinda heading that way, thinking I have a spirit guide, but not seances or Wicca, etc. I need to know if this is wrong and if I need to stop myself. :eek:
Thanks and God Bless.

[/quote]

Yes, you need to stop yourself. Seeking after a "spirit guide" is definitely heading in the wrong direction into animism and magic, however the idea is framed. God has given you a guardian angel, so ask for his guidance daily.

what's animism?

Animism is the belief that objects such as rocks, etc, and non-human animals have immortal souls so as to have the ability to live apart from the material form.

Animals do not possess immortal souls. It’s absolutely fruitless to follow an “animal guide” and even dangerous to your own soul, since you can be led astray by evil. God did not intend for animals to guide humans. We are the stewards of creation. Follow your holy angel guardian as was stated before. Your angel guardian will remain at your side and assist you to help you get to heaven. God assigned him especially for you.

Angels are extremely intelligent beings and your angel can certainly help you. Talk to him once in a while maybe. Many saints had close relationships with their angels. A modern example would be St. Pio. :slight_smile:

Wolf, the only spirit guide you need is the Holy Spirit.

DihydrogenOxide said it very well- animals are not there to guide us spiruitually. they are created beings made by the Creator, who gave us dominion over them.

asking animal spirits to guide you is truly no different from asking unholy spirits to guide, advise, and talk to you, and that is never good. when you need guidance, talk to the Father. He is God, and His judgements and guidance are always sound, true, and in your best interest. He loves you, and made you, and He alone deserves your prayers and worship.

yes, it is wrong, i’m sorry… but don’t feel like you’re missing out on anything by not having a ‘spirit guide’ (which the Church says are disguised demons). You have the Holy Spirit, God Himself, Jesus, our Blessed Mother, Saints and Angels to guide you :slight_smile: and your own personal Guardian Angel :wink: we can talk to our Angels though we shouldn’t expect a response back. God bless you.

This is EXACTLY what your “spirit guide” is–a demon. And it’s a practice of Wicca, simply under another name.

Yes, it is wrong.

Renounce it and take it to confession for your own protection.

(As one wag remarked, how do you know for sure your your “spirit guide” is really a mentor of ancient wisdom and not just another cosmic couch potato?)

Thank you all.
Now, is it wrong to feel super loving of a species?

Nope, not at all. Just don’t worship an animal, or attribute special powers to it.

I was pagan for many years and did some spirit-journeying and all that. I interacted with entities known as spirit guides, animal guides, etc. I experienced things while doing this that were deeply unsettling. Whether they were real demons or figments of my imagination or whatever, it was very odd, and even people who do this sort of thing regularly will admit it can be dangerous. I don’t recommend it.

[quote="Wolfheart101, post:8, topic:178045"]
Thank you all.
Now, is it wrong to feel super loving of a species?

[/quote]

Depends.. is it a love for the sake of God, or is it an obsession. :)

As a matter of pure practicality, if you're having obsessions about a particular animal and problems with 'spirit guides' you need to back off and go the opposite way for a bit to get a clear head.

This isn't a downer but a way to appreciate God's creation in the way it was meant to be appreciated rather than idolizing it like the Egyptians did. We're human beings after all.

We have a calling towards the spiritual love of God, rather than the material and sensual. To love Him rather than the world.

Actually, it’s not wicca. The “animal guides” or “spirit guides” (because they can also be other things, not only animals) come from shamanism (Siberian, IIRC). Yes, wiccans use these practices, but they just stole them from other people.

With this, I’m not saying it’s ok to have an animal guide. For that you would need to journey, go in trance, and sometimes even use drugs or natural hallucinogens. All of this connected to the way the shamans have to practice magic. Not good. (And being it a shaman practice, if you are not a shaman, why would you even try to do such a thing?)

As everyone else has said, if you want a guide, ask the Holy Spirit, or Jesus, or the Lord.

Mariangeles.

[quote="Wolfheart101, post:1, topic:178045"]
Thanks and God Bless.

[/quote]

"animals and stuff" are not spirit guides because they are not spirits and do not come from the spiritual world

Catholics do indeed believe in spirit guides, who are pure spirits called angels, whose office is as messenger from God and as guardians, as is amply testified in Sacred Scripture--not in new age claptrap. the ultimate Spirit guide is of course the Holy Spirit, third person of the Blessed Trinity, who is God not creature. We are guided by the Holy Spirit individually by virtue of our baptism and confirmation, and as Church by virtue of Christ's promise.

The only "animal" guide you need in life is the Lamb of God himself, Jesus Christ.
Do not be distracted by this counterfit new-age garbage...it can only lead you into a spiritual wasteland. Connect with Jesus and authentic spirituality of the Church. As others have said...you do not need a spirit guide, God has already appointed an angel for you that sees all...Jesus tells us this.
The animal spirit guide you think you have is at best a figment of your imagination and at worst a demon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.