Animal sacrifices in the old testament

were they considered propitiatory? or just a forshadow of christ’s sacrifice?

Rather than being propitiatory, they were obedience to the law of Moses.

Hebrews 10:11
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
11 And every priest indeed standeth daily ministering, and often offering the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.

[quote="po18guy, post:2, topic:343793"]
Rather than being propitiatory, they were obedience to the law of Moses.

Hebrews 10:11
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
11 And every priest indeed standeth daily ministering, and often offering the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.

[/quote]

i thought some were done for atonement, not all, but certain ones.

The animal sacrifices served as an outward manifestation of inner atonement. It was prayer to G-d and making amends toward humans who were wronged that always constituted true atonement. Further, the sacrifices were almost only for unintentional sins rather than intentional sins.

[quote="angell1, post:3, topic:343793"]
i thought some were done for atonement, not all, but certain ones.

[/quote]

Leviticus 17:11 mentions expiation of the soul. However, if atonement was satisfactory or complete, we would not need Christ's blood.

[quote="po18guy, post:5, topic:343793"]
Leviticus 17:11 mentions expiation of the soul. However, if atonement was satisfactory or complete, we would not need Christ's blood.

[/quote]

agreed, a sort of imperfect atonement perhaps? while we waited for the true lamb of God to come

[quote="angell1, post:1, topic:343793"]
were they considered propitiatory? or just a forshadow of christ's sacrifice?

[/quote]

Hebrews 10.4-12, *"It is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God."*

From what I understand from some Jewish relatives, if the Jewish Temple is ever rebuilt, the Jewish Order of Priests will be reinstalled and the animal sacrfices would start again (at least in theory).

[quote="meltzerboy, post:4, topic:343793"]
The animal sacrifices served as an outward manifestation of inner atonement. It was prayer to G-d and making amends toward humans who were wronged that always constituted true atonement. Further, the sacrifices were almost only for unintentional sins rather than intentional sins.

[/quote]

I have seen you spell God like this G-d is there a reason for that?

[quote="chero23, post:9, topic:343793"]

[/quote]

And L-rd. Yes, there is a very good reason. I will allow him to explain.

[quote="chero23, post:9, topic:343793"]

[/quote]

It is a sign of respect and awe for G-d not to write or say His full name. Hence in conversation, Hashem is said rather than J-hovah, and when the name of G-d appears in the Bible, one reads it in the Hebrew as Adonai or Adoshem. In particular, one fears that G-d's name might be intentionally or unintentionally erased or deleted and shortening it prevents that from happening.

Animal sacrifices were needed for the atonement of sins. Since Christ was the One, Ultimate, Final Sacrifice, animal sacrifices are now redundant.

[quote="bben15, post:12, topic:343793"]
Animal sacrifices were needed for the atonement of sins. Since Christ was the One, Ultimate, Final Sacrifice, animal sacrifices are now redundant.

[/quote]

Yes, but Jews do not recognize that sacrifice. The Jews can only preform the animal sacrifices in the Temple.

[quote="phil19034, post:13, topic:343793"]
Yes, but Jews do not recognize that sacrifice. The Jews can only preform the animal sacrifices in the Temple.

[/quote]

We all know that the Jews do not recognize Christ. Jews actually can not longer perform a sacrifice because they no longer have a temple. After the destruction of the Temple, the "rabbinical" period of Judaism began. We are currently in the "rabbinical" period of Judaism.

[quote="bben15, post:14, topic:343793"]
We all know that the Jews do not recognize Christ. Jews actually can not longer perform a sacrifice because they no longer have a temple. After the destruction of the Temple, the "rabbinical" period of Judaism began. We are currently in the "rabbinical" period of Judaism.

[/quote]

Even during the ancient times of the Temple, animal sacrifices did not suffice for the atonement of sins. In fact, many people could not even travel to the Temple, and poorer people gave flour sacrifices, not blood sacrifices. However, for all, atonement was based not on sacrifices but on prayer and making amends toward people, just as it is today. Pagans were the people who atoned by means of both animal and human sacrifices. The Torah is explicit in forbidding human sacrifices and the Prophets insisted that prayer is the main manner of atonement. Further, the sacrifices of the Temple were designed only for unintentional sins against G-d, not for intentional sins, as well as for the collective sins of the community.

The first animal sacrifice in the bible was performed by God in the Garden of Eden. He sacrificed an animal to cover the sin of Adam and Eve by clothing their nakedness in skins.

credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/catholic-bible-douay-rheims-ot-book-genesis-gen-chapter-3/1/3/21

[quote="bben15, post:14, topic:343793"]

[/quote]

That's correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.